Beans and IBS

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Beans and IBS

Postby silvergirl » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:19 am

New to Dr. McDougall plan and would love some support. I have IBS and several times have tried beans w/ minimal success GI-wise. I can tolerate about 1/4 c mixed in veggies/rice once a day and starting meal with Bean-zyme (vegan Beano). I know, I know but am I getting all my necessary nutrients with potatoes, squash and other starches. Thanks for all your support! Love vegan diet!
silvergirl

Re: Beans and IBS

Postby Timaca » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:47 am

I found that this probiotic really helped me.

I eat lots of beans now. :-D

Best,
Timaca

Postby silvergirl » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:06 pm

Thanks Timaca! I'll check it out
silvergirl

Postby kirkj » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:54 pm

I don't eat beans much at all and have no problems getting a balanced diet with potatoes, oatmeal, winter squash and rice. Lots of veggies and some fruit, too, of course. I know the numbers because for a couple years I obsessively entered what I ate in CRON-O-Meter. If you're worried about it, you could try that.
kirkj

Postby silvergirl » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:44 pm

Thanks kirkj! I'll check it out.
silvergirl

Postby Dougalling » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:55 pm

Hello

SpudFit Australian guy is eating only potatos for 1 year. He started Jan 01 2016 and is still doing well, eating nothing but potatos.
Dr McDougall advises not to eat too many beans in a day.

Eat plenty of starches, you'll be just fine.
Dougalling

Postby MINNIE » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:28 am

Your tolerance for beans may increase gradually as your gut bacteria adapt to a starch-based diet. If you like beans and really would like to eat them you could continue eating occasional small servings and see what happens.

But if you aren't attached to the idea of eating them you will be fine without beans.

There's a wonderful world of friendly starches out there to choose from, so just find what makes you feel best and enjoy! :)
MINNIE

Postby Lesliec1 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:27 am

Stop eating beans for now. When you are well, meaning your IBS has cleared up, try them again. It can take months for IBS to clear up so be patient.
Lesliec1

Postby silvergirl » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks to all for the great information and support. I will probably steer clear of the beans right now and check out all other starch options.
silvergirl

Return to How to Begin