Oil free tasty tortilla brand?

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oil free tasty tortilla brand?

Postby aldavis2011 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:08 am

Hi, I'm somewhat familiar w the starch been researching starch solution, wfpb, hclf vegan and such for ages, im already just a regular vegan lol. I ordered the starch solution yesterday to have the book, information and guidelines on hand. Bit I've had trouble finding a good oil free tortilla. The food for life ones are terrible, the crumble and fall apart. So was curious if anyone had a suggestion. On flour tortillas not corn lol. Corn ones are easy to find. Thanks so much for any help!!
aldavis2011

Re: Oil free tasty tortilla brand?

Postby Dougalling » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:22 am

Hi

If you don't mind making your own https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h58QuKSCzKM

If you don't mind a skinny wrap, just overlap 2 corn tortillas.
Dougalling

Postby MINNIE » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:49 am

I have a few suggestions. I think Whole Foods was carrying a no added fat flour tortilla under the Engine2 brand name. ( but I never shop there so I can't tell you if they are any good). http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/product ... brown-rice

But you have other choices too. A tortilla by any other name is still a tortilla!

There are a variety ethnic-style breads that are thin, flat and made from whole grains other than corn. One is Armenian lavash bread https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

Lavash is often sold in Middle Eastern stores, and in some mainstream supermarkets. My local big box store has them, which I didn't know until I stopped looking for only products labelled as "tortillas. The ones I buy roll up nicely and they freeze well too, if you don't use them that often. Lavash is among the approved foods on the McDougall plan. (Check the label to be sure there is no fat added, of course).

If you want to make a whole wheat tortilla-like bread at home, you might try a recipe for Indian "roti" or chapatti bread. They have other names too but basically it is a thin flat bread made with just water and whole wheat flour. You don't need a tortilla press,, but a rolling pin helps. I'm a total kitchen klutz who hates baking, but even I have been able to make these so I'm sure anyone can. There are lots of recipes online. Some have oil or ghee, but some don't. I made them w/o oil of course and it was fine.

I used an electric skillet, which worked well, but you can do this on a stove top too.

HTH
MINNIE

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:16 pm

MINNIE wrote:There are a variety ethnic-style breads that are thin, flat and made from whole grains other than corn. One is Armenian lavash bread https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

Lavash is often sold in Middle Eastern stores, and in some mainstream supermarkets. My local big box store has them, which I didn't know until I stopped looking for only products labelled as "tortillas.

The only ones I've ever found were either all white flour or contained oil, even the ones in Whole Foods. I can't even find oil-free pita bread around here.

Oh, and the Engine 2 tortillas are just as bad as Ezekial brand - dry, tasteless, and stiff, usually a bunch are cracked and stuck together right out of the freezer.
VeggieSue

Postby haze5736 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:06 am

aldavis2011 wrote:Hi, I'm somewhat familiar w the starch been researching starch solution, wfpb, hclf vegan and such for ages, im already just a regular vegan lol. I ordered the starch solution yesterday to have the book, information and guidelines on hand. Bit I've had trouble finding a good oil free tortilla. The food for life ones are terrible, the crumble and fall apart. So was curious if anyone had a suggestion. On flour tortillas not corn lol. Corn ones are easy to find. Thanks so much for any help!!

My wife and I are in the same situation. We buy corn tortillas for convenience during rushed times or make corn or flour tortillas when time permits. We have had a really hard time getting the homemade whole wheat flour tortillas to be really thin, but they are tasty none the less. We cook them in round cast iron griddles.
haze5736

Postby pundit999 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:03 pm

Tortillaland corn tortillas are very tasty and easily available in super walmarts and Kroger in the refrigerator section.
There have been posts on it in the past.
Try searching here.
They are cheap also. I think about $3 for 15 or so.
You have to cook them for about 2-4 minutes on a stovetop. But they are amazing.
No oil or other bad ingredients
pundit999

Postby Jmh6451 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:51 am

To me corn tortillas are unpalatable. I guess everyone's taste buds are different. They tend to get stuck when trying to swallow them
Jmh6451

Postby Katydid » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:05 pm

pundit999 wrote:Tortillaland corn tortillas are very tasty and easily available in super walmarts and Kroger in the refrigerator section.
There have been posts on it in the past.
Try searching here.
They are cheap also. I think about $3 for 15 or so.
You have to cook them for about 2-4 minutes on a stovetop. But they are amazing.
No oil or other bad ingredients

I agree. The TortillaLand corn tortillas are great. They puff up like pita bread when you cook them and aren't hard or crunchy unless baked in an oven. No oil. Not at all gritty. Great for fajitas.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby jamietwo » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:25 pm

We've used the Engine-2 brown rice tortillas from Whole Foods. It seems to help (sometimes - lol) to run one under water, then place it between two of the paper separators it comes with and microwave about 10 seconds on each side. Softens it up and usually makes it more pliable.

I'm told the Toufayan Whole Wheat Pita is pretty good. Sprouts sells it here. Ingredients: stone ground whole wheat flour, water, wheat gluten, yeast, contains less than 2% of the following (each): sugar, salt, calcium propionate
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby f1jim » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:41 am

Corn tortillas usually don't contain oil. Flour tortillas usually do. I read about exceptions but can't find them around me. I love both but wish the corn tortillas were larger like the flour tortillas.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Return to How to Begin