To eat tahini and nuts or not...

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

To eat tahini and nuts or not...

Postby bozndi » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:44 pm

Hello - I am new to this forum and am writing from New Zealand. My husband Owen and I heard Caldwell Esselstyn interviewed on our local radio a few years ago. I had already been a vegetarian for many years but Owen made the change from eating pretty well anything on offer to at least attempting to be a vegan. I have struggled to give up olive oil and have even slipped in the odd free-range egg from time to time. However, Owen (66) unfortunately had a heart attack a month ago and had one stent put in. He does not have high blood pressure or cholesterol. Nor is he overweight. Of course we are redoubling our efforts and in a fit of enthusiasm I ordered "The Plan" to go with my "Forks over knives' recipe book AND the two "Prevent & Reverse Heart disease" books. Now I am confused as the latter say NO tahini or nuts and the other two allow limited amounts of both. I am doing really well cutting out oil but would love to keep putting tahini in my hummus and making things with nuts and seeds. HELP!
bozndi

Re: To eat tahini and nuts or not...

Postby Juliepea » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:35 am

Hi bozndi
I am in the UK and a new McDougaller and like you I love my hummus and usually make my own with tahini. I was a bit sceptical about leaving out tahini, but made some yesterday and can honestly say it still tastes good without the tahini. It's still got lemon juice and the all important garlic. With a little sea salt it's still a great dip. I am also nuts about nuts but my personal motivation is weight loss and now I have made the connection between fat and my body fat I'm keen to drastically reduce my fat intake to try and reach my goal. It's not like I'll never have a nut again, but I will just have to be very careful with them in the future, for my own health. I've read a few books too and it can get a bit confusing, but eventually you've got to go with the plan that makes the most sense to you and your personal motivations and goals. Best wishes to you both!
Juliepea

Postby Katydid » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:02 am

If he were strictly underweight or even normal weight, a few nut, seeds or avocado would be fine. But after a heart attack - no. Stick with Dr. E's advice - no added fat.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby bozndi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:12 am

Thanks for your replies. OK. You have convinced me to stay off the tahini and nut!
bozndi

Postby Dougalling » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:38 am

Hi

I wish your husband a quick and full recovery.
You might want to read Dr McDougall's Color Picture Book. It's a quick but very informative slide show.
It's here: https://www.drmcdougall.com/2014/06/30/food-poisoning/

This guy shows how simple cooking can be https://www.facebook.com/plantfueledtrucker?_rdr=p
Dougalling

Postby ChrisR » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:10 pm

When I still feel the need to eat something I go for Tahini on toasted bread. I LOVE that. Biking and running everyday and my BMI is 18.5 so no weight problem at 55.
Should I worry about my Tahini consumption? Also I not sure if I should continue to toast the bread?
ChrisR

Postby frozenveg » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:24 am

ChrisR wrote:When I still feel the need to eat something I go for Tahini on toasted bread. I LOVE that. Biking and running everyday and my BMI is 18.5 so no weight problem at 55.
Should I worry about my Tahini consumption? Also I not sure if I should continue to toast the bread?

Looks like no one answered your question, so I'll jump in. When you have no weight or health problems, a bit of tahini on toast will be just fine for you! And really, bread is already ground and baked, so toasting is not going to ruin it! Enjoy, and get back to running!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Return to How to Begin