Hello and starting out.

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hello and starting out.

Postby pabloeldiablo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:07 pm

Newbie here, 37, from Ireland.

Trying to lose weight and hoping the McDougall plan will help with that, as well as a few other health issues, including kidney stones.

I have a copy of the Starch Solution but I do have a few questions.

So for breakfast, lunch and dinner I should just eat healthy starches and veg? And I can eat as much as I want?
pabloeldiablo

Re: Hello and starting out.

Postby Melinda » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:15 pm

Welcome! Yes, you can eat just healthy starches, with vegs and fruit. You may want to limit your fruit to 2 a day if you want to lose weight, as sometimes people will eat too much fruit. Eat to satisfaction. You may find satisfaction a bit harder to find at first without all the foods you are accustomed to, but your body and appetite will adjust within a few weeks. Your skin will be clearer, your energy higher, and you will just generally feel much better. My husband said to me the other week, that he wished we could feel as good as we did when we started this! I said that all we have to do is go back to the way we used to eat for a week, then adopt this way of eating again and we would soon see the difference. We have just gotten used to feeling good! Great recipes in "The Starch Solution" and also on this website. Have a good look around all the info around this website, as your time permits. Good luck!
Melinda

Postby Yarm » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:33 am

Did he mean there's a honeymoon period after which the sense of wellness declines somewhat.
The 801010 diet, also high carb, has a honeymoon period.
Yarm

Postby Melinda » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:57 pm

No, I think it's just that you get so used to feeling great that the 'glow' wears off. Because feeling great is the new normal!
Melinda

Return to How to Begin