Fatigue after Eating

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Fatigue after Eating

Postby jensing68 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:02 am

Hi
Since the End of Jan 2015 I've attempted a 7 day juice detox, 801010 and raw til 4 with varying amounts of success! I stumbled across the McDougall diet recently and from what I've read, it makes total sense to me. I'm in the process of reading the starch solution and have been trying to eat high starch meals as advised on the 10 plan for 5 days. Already my weight has started to drop :D

The problem is, I'm having severe bouts of fatigue immediately after eating, they are absolutely killing me. I can't keep my eyes open, can't concentrate and have a very mild headache. It's terrible time for this to be happening as I'm writing essays non stop for my college course!

Am I doing something wrong here, or is it a transition period and things will improve or is it just me? Prior to this year's diets I was an old school Atkins supporter, I also tried Paleo but rarely ate fruit and starchy foods but decided to try something new this year as I was suffering with Candida. I'm pleased to say I can already see signs of the candida lessening so I know I'm doing something right!

Any help or advice on the fatigue would be fantastic!!

Thank you

Jen
jensing68

Re: Fatigue after Eating

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:46 am

jensing68 wrote:trying to eat high starch meals as advised on the 10 plan for 5 daysJen

Five days is not very long, and since you've been experimenting with diet, it could be an adjustment period. Trying to eat this way does not give many clues, but if you could tell us exactly what you are eating, folks could give some feedback. Depending on food selection, a high insulin reaction can create some fatigue.
vgpedlr

Postby jensing68 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:09 am

thanks for your reply!

Admittedly I haven't properly got started on this and still have tonnes of fruit around from attempting 801010 and Rawtil4 but

breakfast for the first 2 days were couscous, banana and dates (don't laugh at the combination but that's all I had in!)
After that breakfasts have been eating Millet grains, raisins, persimmons - Feeling fatigued after this meal but go and do my exercise and that seems to help.

Lunch has been baked sweet potato with a fat free hummus I made with chickpeas with salad of romaine, bell pepper, onion and tomato - I've felt the crash most severely after this meal but it tastes so good I could eat it forever!

Dinners have been
- quinoa spinach and peas
- hummus with bell peppers and wholemeal crackers (I didn't get in until late, so that's all I could think of!)
- Sunday dinner was dry roasted swede, courgette, onions, cauliflower and some vegan stock thickened with rice flour
- steamed potatoes with lettuce tomato and nutritional flakes

I exercise daily for at least 30 minutes doing cardio, HIIT and yoga and would say I have I about 10lbs to lose to be at my optimum weight.

thanks for your help!

Jen
jensing68

Postby PeripateticDanielle » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:02 am

Hi Jen,

You know, I always read about all these people who felt AMAZING when they first started this WOE, but for me the first few weeks were filled with bloating, fatigue, and general ill-feeling. I plowed through all that and came out the other side feeling great, but it was more because in my heart and brain I felt and knew that this was the best course, rather than my body rejoicing. And I was coming from a vegetarian diet, high in fruits and vegetables already!

So, I understand and you're probably frustrated. For me, it took a few weeks for most of the symptoms to subsist and about a month for my body to fully adjust.

Another thought is perhaps you are sensitive to something you're eating. However, since you're coming from a radically different eating plan, perhaps your body is like mine and is very sensitive and needs time to figure out what's going on. Maybe you could give yourself a few weeks and then, if you are still having big symptoms, begin an elimination diet.

Hang in there because it truly is worth it. You'll feel amazing after you jump this hurdle.
PeripateticDanielle

Postby jensing68 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:33 am

thanks PeripateticDanielle for your kind words of support - I really needed them! It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one going through this and it gets better as time goes on because honestly, that was the only negative I can say about this WOE.

I'm in for the duration, I think McDougalling is fantastic! I can't believe how I've been brainwashed for so many years that starches and fruit are bad for me but that's the food industry for you! And it's so liberating to be able to pass on meat and dairy and not feel like I'm missing out - I'm beyond happy!! :-)
jensing68

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:43 am

It could be the fruit. I wouldn't worry about it yet. Finish off the fruit, keep at it and be patient.
vgpedlr

Postby Dougalling » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:56 am

Hi

You may want to eat smaller and more frequent meals.
Have you been tested for pre-diabetes or diabetes?
Dougalling

Postby jensing68 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:44 am

Thanks Dougalling

Yes I went for a well woman check recently and the diabetes test came back fine.

I'll certainly try the smaller amounts more often approach and see if that helps. I suspect the increased amounts of fruits that I'm trying not to waste (therefore eat) has a lot to do with it although I have reduced the amount of fruit considerably since 801010.

Thanks everybody for you help!

Jen
jensing68

Postby PeripateticDanielle » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:39 am

Hi Jen, I'm just checking in and hoping you are doing okay!
PeripateticDanielle

Postby jensing68 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:02 am

Hi PeripateticDanielle thanks for your interest!

Yes everything is going really well! Weight is jumping around a bit but I think it's going in the right direction. I can certainly see a difference in my body. All the fat looks and feels less dense - if that makes sense and my clothes seem loose on me now.

I've settled into a handful of my favourite meals and limit the fruit to breakfast and no more than 2 in the day. I also eat after exercise. Everything is so satisfying, I love that feeling! Although I do feel hungry a lot more often (not sure if that's a good or bad thing?!) so I have a few raw veg snacks dipped in some fat free hummus which seems to keep me going. I'm trying to slow my eating down so I really enjoy the whole experience hoping that will help too.

I'm not really sure why the fatigue happened and why it isn't happening now other than when I started this WOE I really wasn't eating many vegetables, doing rawtil4 and 801010 all I'd eat was a bit of lettuce and bell peppers but not in large amounts so maybe the increase starch based foods and the lack of fruit sugars sent my insulin into a tailspin and my body is used to that now or the increase in vegetables is helping.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Jen
jensing68

Postby PeripateticDanielle » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:02 pm

I'm happy that it's going so well!! And I definitely know what you mean about weight loss not really matching the decreased volume of your body, as the same thing happened to me. In my case I think it was inflammation was decreasing so my body volume decreased at a more rapid pace than my weight loss would seem to suggest.

Vis a vis the increased hunger, I have, and I've definitely read that others have, found that we do usually need a snack if we aren't pounding food at mealtimes. I am either going to be eating a big lunch and/or dinner or have a snack during the afternoon.

About the fatigue not being there, I am so happy you got over it! Again, I don't know if you were the same, but in my case I think my body was like :shock: "What are you doing to me!?" for a few weeks, and then went, "Oh, okay, I get it now, I'm receiving zero fatty foods and a lot of starchy foods. Got it." So perhaps it was really that you had an adjustment period you had to go through, as well as the amount of fruit you were eating initially. It's awesome that you're doing so well!!
PeripateticDanielle

Postby jensing68 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:06 am

I had an interesting revelation today!

I've noticed that I only feel fatigued after eating when I return to my desk for more study, it never happens if I'm moving around.

Wikipedia describe it as a sugar crash http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_crash when the sudden increase in blood sugar and the subsequent dip when insulin kicks in to return levels to normal is causing my fatigue symptoms.

Now I understand what's going on I've been able to reduce the portion sizes and I also do some kind of movement after eating (for me squats) before sitting down to study. I've found this has pretty much cured the problem. I'm still getting a light headache but nothing worth worrying about and managed to lose 4lbs in the 3 weeks with this WOE so I'm thrilled with my progress.

Jen :) :unibrow:
jensing68

Postby tfrankum1 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:51 pm

I thought I'd jump in and make a suggestion. It seems that on the meals you're eating fruit, it's high glycemic fruits - tropical, dried, etc. You might try something with lower sugar content like apples, berries, or melon (not watermelon). Also, not sure if you're including legumes yet, but lentils would help on those meals where you're getting really tired.
tfrankum1

Return to How to Begin