MARCH 2020 Maintenance Thread

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: MARCH 2020 Maintenance Thread

Postby GlennR » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:08 am

Marsha, glad you slipped under your original target. I'm fully in support of your self-isolation approach, it seems sensible to avoid crowds and groups of people where possible.

I had a pretty good week, though my wife has come down with something, we're hoping it's just a cold. I got in two resistance training workouts with one to go later today. I've walked my dog about five miles each day and my weight has been staying within the boundaries I set. I was 151 this morning.

Everything I ate was whole food, plant-based.

The government has closed all the publicly funded schools for the next three weeks in an effort to slow or stop the progression of corvid-19. This was a bit of welcome news as my wife works in a local high school
Glenn
GlennR

Postby Ejeff » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:32 pm

Glad your week was good Glenn. I also stayed within my weight boundaries, no change at all on the scale. Lunch today was very good a simple dressing made from water, miso, horseradish mustard, balsamic vinegar, bit of soya and hot sauce. Poured that over a big bowl that had brown rice, frozen peas and spinach, orange pepper, red onion, tomatoes and walnuts. Oh and corn. A bowl with all those veggies is so tasty. This weeks food will be pretty simple again, might make some veggie burgers. A lentil Chili also.

All bigger functions are now cancelled at the RV park, but there were only 3 left as it’s end of season. So far people are still willing to play cards and things, there are just a lot of signs to use the sanitizer. Wishing everyone a healthy week ahead.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:15 pm

Marsha - Under 180! Woo-hoo! I'm glad you made such a speedy recovery from your flu.

GlennR - Glad to hear maintenance is going so well for you, and all the best to your wife.

Erin - Your lunch sounds delicious! Enjoy your card-playing!

I'm holding steady this week, as well - still adhering to the MWL 10-Point Checklist. My daughter's school shifts to "virtual learning" as of Monday, and it seems pretty likely that my wife will be directed to work remotely any day now, so our apartment may be feeling pretty crowded in the coming weeks! :) We're practicing social distancing as much as possible, although I'm continuing to use our fitness center daily, as relatively vigorous exercise daily is pretty essential to managing my CRPS.

Wishing everyone a safe, healthy, hopeful week!
Mark Cooper

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:56 pm

Marsha - Love your positive attitude! Congrats again on your continued success. The Egyptian red lentil soup sounds good. Where did you find the recipe? What are you doing to stay occupied while staying home?

Glenn - I hope your wife is feeling better. Everyone is a little on edge these days! That’s nice that your wife’s school is closed for the time being.

Erin - Bummer to hear about the activity cancellations. It’s everywhere right now. Stay safe!

Mark - Good luck with everyone being home this next week. We’re already getting out the board games and puzzles. Have you played mancala? There are some fun ways to make your own board online, and you can use pennies or marbles for the pieces. It’s a big hit with my 5 and 7 year old, so I thought your daughter may enjoy it as well. I’m guessing your fitness center is probably a safer place to exercise, as opposed to a larger gym with more members.

We’re practicing social-distancing here as well. We followed Jeff’s advice regarding preparing for the unexpected and now just have to wait and eat potatoes. I did find myself having a couple days of stress-eating, but now that I’m in my house, which is a clean environment, I don’t have the option of eating anything I shouldn’t.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby wildgoose » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:17 pm

Sue, are you still in Spain? News from there sounds like it’s pretty restricted. Hope all is well with you.

Marsha, good job on getting below 180! I never get bored with potatoes either. Glad your flu wasn’t severe.

Erin, I might try your Mac and Greens recipe with spinach, as I’m not a kale fan. Everything else in the recipe looks great. You’re lucky you still have a card-playing group.

Glenn, hope your wife is feeling better. Glad the school closing keeps her out of harm's way, too. Sounds like your eating and exercise are working well for you.

Mark, fingers crossed that your fitness center doesn’t close. More public places are closing here every day. Our two grand-Goslings are home until April 7, under a "shelter in place" order on the west coast. Two youngsters plus two adults working from home in a small apartment make for pretty close quarters.

Lindsey, I liked the "Spudfit" Taylor link too — thanks for posting. You mentioned you do ramen. Do you know of a good gluten-free ramen? And how do you serve yours?

We're completely self-isolating except for one trip a week to the grocery store. I’m trying to protect the Gander, who turns 78 in a few weeks. So even at the grocery store, I order ahead online, then drive up and they put the groceries in my trunk. I’m sad that the library is closed, but I have a whole houseful of books to read. Plus a bunch of work-in-progress knitting and crocheting projects. If all else fails, the basement desperately needs cleaning — but I’m not that bored yet!

The most astonishing news is my weight. I didn’t think I’d been eating any differently, and I certainly haven’t been exercising more, but I now weigh 133 (maintenance weight has been 136-138) all of a sudden. Don’t know where that came from. I may make a pot of pinto beans, brown rice, corn, onions, garlic, Mexican spices, etc. That should stabilize my weight fast. The Gander says I’ve been fretting the weight off. He may be right. I do tend to follow the news too much and worry because of it.

Everyone stay safe and well out there!

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:23 pm

Hi Goose. The ramen I get is not gluten-free, and is quite high in sodium (like most asian food). We serve it in a miso broth with bok choy and tofu. I have seen this rice ramen noodle recipe, I think Mark was the one who posted it?

We’re staying in, too. Got a pantry full of food and lots of time. I’m a knitter, also, I’m working on my first adult-sized sweater, but I usually knit socks. What do you knit?

Try not to worry too much. You are making wise choices. Stay calm, wash your hands, and eat starch!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby wildgoose » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:26 pm

Thanks, Lindsey — your ramen ideas give me something to think about, although anything I do has to be much lower in sodium than many of the recipes.

I do more crocheting than knitting, but I knit socks as well. I got started by following a British woman named Christine Perry, who blogs under the name Winwick Mum. I had no idea how to knit socks, and her instructions and patterns were just what I needed. I also do basic things like hats and scarves. Now the Gander wants a pair of work mittens for next winter, so I may tackle those at some point.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby Suey51 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:49 am

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late post, it's been a very strange few days here. Spain started a 15 period of lockdown yesterday so we're not allowed outside the house unless we need to get food, meds, go to hospital, walk our dog or to work if we can’t work at home. The regional government had put various measures in place over the weekend so beaches, parks, cafes, restaurants etc. had already started shutting. I really miss exercise so went out on our small outside terrace yesterday for some yoga, Qigong and aerobics. (Well, the latter was more like random dancing to some uplifting music, but it was fun!)

We're due to fly back to the UK in early April but after much reflection, we’ve booked onto another flight due to leave on Friday.

Marsha – good job on slipping under your original target.

Glenn – hope your wife is feeling better and well done on keeping your weight within the boundaries this week and on the exercise.

Erin – good job on staying within your weight boundaries this week. lunch sounds delicious!

Mark – great to hear you’re holding steady this week. Good luck with the more crowded house next week.

Lindsey – feel for you with the stress-eating, easily done at times like this. Good work on preparing for the unexpected and hope you all have fun with the board games and puzzles this week!

Goose – think you’re being very sensible with the self-isolating. I have a small knitting project which I will pick up and if I can get back to the UK, there are some sewing projects and jobs in the garden that will keep me busy. I’ll check out the knitting blogger that you mention as it would be fun to try something bigger!

My 7 day rolling average weight was a little down on Friday, but now nudging upwards. Had a couple of 'off-plan' days with unhealthy snacks while binge-watching Netflix and the news. Planning for a better day today with some more exercise on the terrace, meditation, on-plan eating and getting out the board games!

Wishing you all a calm, safe and healthy week, Sue xx
Suey51

Postby Suey51 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:38 am

How's everyone's weeks been? It's been a strange one here, that's for sure!

We are currently packing up and hoping to get a flight back to the UK late today. My 7 day rolling average weight is up by a pound which isn't a surprise as I've had some off-program snacks (including more salt than I usually eat), some more calorie dense foods and way less exercise since the lockdown here in Spain. My average daily step count since Sunday is 8,000, whereas it was over 16,000 during the first two weeks of March. Calories burned is down by over 400 a day over the same period. Plenty of learning for me to apply in the coming weeks!

We have been exercising outside on our terrace and that has certainly helped with the slight 'stir-crazyness' that can set in, as well as the other health benefits. We are lucky to have a lovely view out over some parkland and mountains, and listening to the birds each morning and evening has been a joy. Amidst all the sad and worrying news, I'm encouraged to see a growing sense of community, with people are sharing online exercise resources, free books, concerts etc., and launching new initiatives like online choirs and local neighbourhood support groups.

On the mental health front, I'm continuing to keep a journal and including some of the funny stuff as well as a general update on the current situation, reading 'The Daily Stoic' entry for each day (something I started in the New Year and have realised is particularly appropriate for the current situation), doing an evening relaxation meditation using Insight Timer to help get off to sleep and turning off the news once we've heard the day's updates. This experience is giving me a massive sense of gratitude for things I can't do at the moment and usually take for granted, for example, being able to walk outside the home, going to exercise classees and meeting friends for a cuppa.

What are the rest of you up to?

Sending much love to you all, Sue xx
Suey51

Postby Ejeff » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:00 am

Hope everyone is feeling fine. Most Canadians are heading back, but so far we are staying put as our medical insurance indicates we have coverage. Very quiet in the RV park, still able to play pickleball and mahjong. No large gatherings allowed. It’s getting pretty empty here anyway. Haven’t had much motivation to exercise other than pickleball and I have no excuse. Right hip is still somewhat irritated so I really need to figure that out. On the food service side the week was great. My hubby decided to join me in McDougall eating and that resulted in a 2 pound loss for me this week. Probably due to eating less nuts although not really sure. I will take it though. Been enjoying mashed potatoes with cauliflower and garlic, tofu scramble, puréed celery and kale soup, and of course pasta and oats. Planning to make some sweet potato chocolate pudding today. Also rice and cabbage. I like to use my mandolin to slice it very thin.

Like Sue, I try to keep my stress level down by not listening to the news too much. That seems to help and just focusing on other activities reading etc.

Sue, safe travels home. Wishing everyone a healthy week ahead.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby GlennR » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:17 pm

Sue, I can swing a couple of pounds when I have the amount of salt that typical restaurant food has. I'm sure you'll swing back the other way.

Erin, my brother came back early from Florida just this week. As you probably heard they are closing the Canada-US border, restricting it to necessary services and supplies.

As for me, things are going well with the exception of a little underlying anxiety stemming from the pandemic. As I'm preparing all meals, eating right isn't an issue.

Exercise wise, it's my home gym three times a week and five miles or more with my dog each day with Sunday reserved for resting.
Glenn
GlennR

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:12 pm

Friday, and I almost forgot to post. Am trying to stay off social media because the news about 'you know what' is relentless and unending.

3/19/20 weight is 178.6

Amazing to me, almost disbelieving the #. My back is very sore (low back issues including surgery years ago) from too much sitting. I'm used to being more active. Took long walk the other day with 2 friends and we practiced social distancing! and went out again today to loosen up things. Also doing stretches, may try some online yoga. Wish I could get in a pool.

Enjoying a comfort food dinner: mashed potatoes with corn and peas. And I used Insight Timer for guided sleep meditation at 2am. It works.

Lindsey, google for Egyptian Red Lentil soup recipe. Problem is all the stores around me have no red lentils. In fact, the bulk food bins at my favorite store have been out for several days of dried beans, lentils, oatmeal. I did stock up a bit with what I could find. Hey, plenty of potatoes and yams and greens; odd nobody eats those.

Wash your hands!

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:16 pm

Sue - Thank you so much for taking the time to check in. Sending thoughts of safe travels your way!

Erin - Great to hear all is well! So nice that your husband is eating with you. What inspired him to join in on your meals?

Glenn - Anxiety is running higher these days, for sure. It is nice to be in the habit of cooking for ourselves, so that is something that hasn’t really changed. I hadn’t realized you are up north. Whereabouts do you live (if you don’t might me asking, feel free to be vague)? Have there been travel restrictions in your locale?

Marsha - You are on a roll! It is so good to get out and moving. That is nice that you have a couple people you can walk with. The fresh air and sunshine are so soothing. Feel free to call ahead to grocery stores, that way you don’t have to keep making trips. Depending on the store, you might be able to find out when the next delivery is, and maybe they would even put something on hold for you. It never hurts to ask!

The feeling I’ve had most this past week is not worry or fear, but gratitude. I feel so incredibly fortunate for the place I am in right now. Yes, there is a bumpy road ahead of us, but this is a storm we can weather. While things are tough, we all have our family and friends to lean on (even if it’s just virtually!) and delicious, nourishing food. Dr. McDougall has shared his insights about COVID 19 and practical advice to stay healthy. Jeff made some suggestions a few weeks back about something I am calling the “plant-based prepper pantry.” Combining that with his SNAP meals can leave you with near-endless possibilities. We’re making a batch of chubby chips almost daily!

With all of us in various states of social distancing/sheltering in place, getting groceries is a main concern for most people. Many stores offer pick up options or home delivery. A restaurant wholesaler here is offering pick up to the general public right now, which turned out to be a great way to get a ridiculous amount of potatoes dirt cheap, so you might want to see if that is available near you.

Right now is a great time to have your own mini-McDougall retreat. Stock only approved foods in your house, and spend a little time each day watching one of the wonderful webinars Dr. McDougall has done. It’s the next best thing to making it out to Santa Clara.

As for gratitude, this experience has given me the opportunity to really appreciate the small things that really, truly matter: a good home, good friends, good family and good health. I hope you all have those things as well.

Stay calm, wash your hands, and eat starch!
Lindsey
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby GlennR » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:20 am

Marsha, your comfort dinner is my youngest son's favorite meal combination.

Lindsay, I'm just outside of Toronto in Canada.

Staples like rice and flour have been hard to come by with many empty spots on the supermarket shelves. I know those spaces will be filled again, it's just a matter of time.

Walking my dog feels good and today it's sunny, if cold, so I can pick up some vitamin D without pills.
Glenn
GlennR

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:21 am

Great minds think alike! Just got an email from the McDougall team with a list of great videos to check out while you’re stuck inside: https://mailchi.mp/drmcdougall.com/stre ... 54a9988f52

Glenn - I love Toronto! My family did a road trip through Ontario and Québec. We loved Tim Hortons, haha.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

PreviousNext

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories