FEBRUARY 2020 Maintenance Thread

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

FEBRUARY 2020 Maintenance Thread

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:59 pm

Welcome to the McDougall Maintenance support group! Let’s join together for support and camaraderie while we strive to maintain our successes.

Many of us have lost weight and/or reached other health goals. We’re ready for that next chapter, maintaining the gains we’ve accomplished.

This group will have Friday check ins, where everyone can touch base. Weigh-ins are optional, and will not be tracked. Please feel free to share your non-scale victories (NSV) as well.

In order to foster group participation, we do ask that only participants post, so please do join! You can join at any time simply by hitting the “post reply” button and saying something along the lines of “I’d like to join.” As they say, the more, the merrier.

Hi everyone!

Welcome to the February Maintenance Thread. We have four major holidays on the calendar for the month: Superbowl Sunday (on the 2nd), Groundhogs Day (conveniently also the 2nd), Valentine’s Day (the 14th), and Mardi Gras (the 25th). I probably forgot something important, but these are the ones that come to the forefront of my mind. Mark your calendars, and be prepared with a plan to celebrate while staying the course.

When this thread was started the idea was to have a place for people who have achieved their health and weight goals to check in and have some accountability so they don’t end up on the slippery slope back to their previous diet and the related health concerns. One of the great threads that Jeff has posted is about the question of whether To Weigh or Not To Weigh.

Personally, before my scale went on hiatus, someone expressed dismay that I would weigh myself daily (and I make a line graph on graph paper taped to my bathroom wall :shock: ). Clearly, my personal experience echos what researchers have found to be true:

Self-weighing is likely to improve weight outcomes, particularly when performed daily or weekly, without causing untoward adverse effects.

The scale gives undeniable, concrete, immediate feedback. It can be easy to blame tight pants on the dryer, or a poorly fitting dress on “eating too many beans,” or any number of other excuses we will come up with for the feedback our bodies are giving us, but the scale never lies. It is our most honest friend, who will tell us when we can do better, or we’re doing great already.

Jeff recommends:

- For those trying to lose weight, weigh yourself no more then 1x a week as there are many things that can contribute to daily fluctuations.

- For those trying to maintain a weight loss, weighing yourself more frequently can be helpful to identify any upward trend before it goes to far.

In addition, Mark posted this gem of a video of Dr. Lisle in last month’s MWL thread (man, that was a busy place to be last month. So fun to see all the new “faces”!). It’s a short 6 minute clip that is worth the time. In it, he talks about the 21 meals a person eats per week. What is your method for meal prep? What’s on the menu this week?

Our first check in for the month is Friday, February 7, 2020.

Best to you all,
Lindsey
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: FEBRUARY 2020 Maintenance Thread

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:45 am

Lindsey - I'm like you, I weigh myself everyday. I've tried once a month, once a week, and everyday; the best fit for me is daily weigh-ins smoothed out by a 7 day rolling average which really helps me to view data from the scale as just one of several metrics that I value in evaluating my status. My day-to-day weight tends to bounce around quite a bit (I imagine it is because I consume such a significant volume of food) but the rolling average stays remarkably stable and has actually been trending slightly downward from what I assumed was my maintenance weight over time. On our menu this week - roasted vegetable pasta, sushi burritos, potato curry & brown basmati rice, taco soup, and garlic cauliflower mashed potatoes with lentil gravy. Unfortunately, our freezer space is pretty limited, so I can't freeze a bunch of "heat-and-eat" meals and still accommodate the massive quantities of frozen vegetables we go through in a week. :eek:
Mark Cooper

Postby Ejeff » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:47 am

I’m still weighing in once a week, it’s a habit I’ve had for years. Surprisingly down another half pound this week. Made bad choice eating out beyond burger and fries. Probably doesn’t get much worse than that. Also some snacks with oil (chips and crackers) and a brownie that was not compliant. I suppose it was easier when on the challenge lol. Didn’t do much cooking this week, did have a tofu scramble which was tasty. Otherwise simple meals like baked potatoes, pasta, and sweet potato fries. I bought a bag of frozen edamame so I think I will have that with brown rice and broccoli for at least a couple meals. I made a dressing with chickpeas and Mexican type spices (cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne, Chili). I will be using that as a dip for taco chips and for any bowls. I will be making Brand New Vegans cheese dip for a potluck this week as I made it at Christmas and it was a hit.

As for exercise, it’s still pickleball about 4 times a week, gym once, hiking once, swimming once, essentrics once. I missed swimming last Sunday as I was just feeling lazy.

Mark your menu sounds very delicious your family is so lucky you cook for them!

Lindsey thanks for that Dr. Lisle clip. I did watch it and I really laughed at the part about how to respond when asked about this way of eating. So true, best to just say it’s an experiment and not try to explain how we eat. Unless of course someone is actually interested in knowing. I blew it the last time someone asked how I felt or what the difference was eating this way. I remember saying I lost over 30 pounds. I also need to add, I have more energy, I sleep better, I feel great when I eat healthy, I rarely get colds anymore, and I’m less afraid of getting cancer

Wishing everyone a wonderful week. :-D
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Suey51 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:28 am

I also weigh myself every day as I like to catch any upwards trends quickly. I'm going to move to reporting 7 day rolling averages as reporting Friday's actual weight is not always representative of the whole week. The new regular program checklist has been helpful so I'm going to stick with using it this month.

Lindsey - thanks for the Dr Lisle video link :)

Mark/Erin - your food sounds great!

Erin - congrats on completing your Jan challenge! I like the sound of your exercise routine. Hadn't heard of essentrics before but it looks interesting (assuming its this website! http://www.essentrics.com). Do you go to a class or use videos?

This week's menu will be salads for lunch, including chickpea no-tuna (my husband has been hinting all week about making it and my excuse of not having celery is no longer true!) Made coleslaw and bulgur with roasted veg this week and they were delicious so will repeat once we've been shopping for the veggies. Dinner-wise we are likely to be eating out a few times we have my step-son staying with us for the week. At home it'll probably be simple meals of lunch leftovers or either brown rice or baked potatoes and veggies and my husband may make a veggie paella as we all like that.

In the UK I tend to do lots of batch cooking of soups, stews at this time of year and freeze some, but in Spain we only have a tiny freezer compartment so we have to eat it all in a few days. In the past 3 weeks we've had chickpea shashuka, cannelini bean stew and a veggie chili so will repeat those in the near future.

Best wishes xx
Suey51

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:07 pm

Erin - That is a really fun-sounding exercise routine! You have spurred me into thinking about ways I can work in a wider variety of fitness activities, apart from my normal cardio & calisthenics.

Sue - I'm glad the regular program checklist has been helpful, it seems like such a great tool. Your meals sound very appealing, too!

I'm trending down again this week, I checked my weigh-in log, and it looks like I've actually been very gradually trending down over the last six months or so. I had a really good week for managing my CRPS; it seems like a trend of very gradual improvement in that regard, as well. I'm starting to become hopeful that at some point in the future I might just possibly experience "remission." As long as the current trend continues, I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing.

Wishing everyone a lovely week!
Mark Cooper

Postby wildgoose » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:52 pm

I’m definitely part of the scale-monkey club. I get nervous if I don’t weigh every day, thinking I won’t catch any problems before they get out of hand. Eventually I’ll relax into maintenance, but I’m sure not there yet.

I’m at the bottom end of the 3-lb. range I’ve set for myself, and I’ve pretty much stayed there. That makes me very happy, since I’ve been having reduced balsamic vinegars and WYW Asian sauce fairly regularly, along with air frying potatoes and sweet potatoes (which makes them more calorie dense). So far, that hasn’t affected my weight at all. Still eating at least 50% non-starchy veggies (by volume) and plenty of fruit.

Erin, what a fun exercise list! All the variety will keep you from getting bored. Good job on the challenge too.

Sue, a tiny freezer would be a huge issue for me. I’m impressed at your ability to keep the food going without freezing anything. We have a normal-size freezer on our fridge, plus an upright freezer downstairs that’s packed with last summer's huge haul of blueberries, the overflow of frozen veggies that we always stock up on in the winter, and all our stored grains (rice, oats, buckwheat, etc.).

And with all that, I’m still the most basic non-cook of the group! Your food all sounds lovely (and ambitious!) :lol:

Mark, congrats on your downward trend and continued good pain management. And on the very good job you’re doing with a busy MWL thread!

Lindsey, thanks for the confirmation that daily weighing isn’t the horrible thing that some claim it is. I think as long as I’m not basing my attitude for the day on that number between my feet — if I just treat it as data — it works for me.

Still doing the Canadian Air Force exercises, but the only extra exercise I’ve gotten this week is chipping ice off the driveway. I am very ready for spring.

I don’t have any fancy menu plans. This morning, I loaded up my Instant Pot with cauliflower, broccoli, onion, garlic, and some leftover Yukon Golds. Dumped in some veggie broth, pressure cooked it, and hit it with the immersion blender to do a variation on Mary's Broccoli Bisque. It made a ton, so I’m going to have lots of soup this week. My version of cream of broccoli. Mushroom and wild rice. Whatever else I can think of to pour that bisque over. :-D

I have a stack of various potatoes (Hannah and Garnet yams, Yukon Golds, a couple of Stokes purple sweet potatoes) that I’ll throw on a tray in the oven tomorrow, since our potato container in the fridge is running low. We didn’t get to the store in the neighboring town that carries Japanese sweet potatoes (and, at the moment, Sumo oranges!), so we won’t be having those.

Chef AJ posted a recipe for Mediterranean Kale on her YouTube channel this week, and Tami Kramer (Nutmeg Notebook) posted a quinoa and bean Mexican dish that she calls “bean-wah." Both of those look good, but whether I get motivated enough to make either one remains to be seen.

All best wishes for a good week!

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:48 pm

Erin, I’m glad you enjoyed the clip, Mark is the original poster of it, and I couldn’t resist sharing such good info. You are doing such a good job of staying active! For me it’s a lot of light housework and running after little people. I didn’t get to the falafels yet, but the recipe looks so good I’m going to make a double batch. Thanks for the recommendation of the cheese sauce, I have yet to find one that I would repeat, and appreciate the review.

Sue, Great idea to use a checklist. Veggie paella sounds delicious, how perfect for Spain! I saw a recipe for spanish tortilla that I’ve been wanting to try. I had not heard of shashuka, but it appears to be similar to tajine. If you have a favorite recipe, I’m all ears!

Mark, That is really neat that you have such a long weight log that you can go back and see how the weight is still slowing moving downwards, not to mention the improvement in your symptoms!

Goose, I am so looking forward to trying the WYW sauces, but haven’t gotten around to ordering them yet. How do you store food in your freezers? I’m trying to maximize my cooking and need to store some stuff. May I ask, why do you store your grains in the freezer?

My lowest weight this week was 114.9 (gosh, it sure does bounce around like a ping pong ball). In my house one of the kiddos is suspected of having GERD, so we’re doing a partial “elimination” diet to see if symptoms improve, and I’m finding it kind of difficult because everything except breakfast around here includes tomatoes, onion and/or garlic. Also, my husband bought 10 boxes of Girl Scout cookies, and that is proving difficult to ignore.

On the menu so far this week is taco night, pasta e fagiole soup, probably falafels in pita, maybe cauliflower alfredo.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby wildgoose » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:11 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Goose, I am so looking forward to trying the WYW sauces, but haven’t gotten around to ordering them yet. How do you store food in your freezers? I’m trying to maximize my cooking and need to store some stuff. May I ask, why do you store your grains in the freezer?

Lindsey, the WYW sauce that I really like is the Asian one. It’s totally different from any Asian sauce I’ve had before, but I like it. I haven’t tried any of their salad dressings.

How I store food in the freezers depends on what it is. The Gander and I put up 80-100 pounds of blueberries every summer, thanks to an Amish fruit seller who gives us a great bulk discount. I spend about 10 days every July processing blueberries. I freeze them loose on trays, then bag them in Ziploc bags, then stack the bags in cardboard boxes, which go on the shelves in the freezer. That keeps us and one friend in blueberries all winter. We eat a lot of them. :eek:

Anything that I freeze portions of, like soup or casseroles or pasta sauce, I put in glass. I tried Mason jars and didn’t like them, so I went back to Pyrex, the kind with the simple plastic lids. The square or rectangular ones work better than the round ones, because they don’t waste space and I can fit more of them in. They come in different sizes, but if you’re looking to freeze for family meals, you might like this size. I freeze everything initially upstairs, then transfer it to the big freezer when it's solid. That avoids accidents, because the lids aren’t leakproof if something gets accidentally tipped. And the lids do eventually get damaged, but Pyrex sells replacements.

Rice I freeze in plastic. I use these, because they’re flat and stackable, and thin enough that I can break off a piece of a frozen block of rice if I don’t want to thaw the whole thing. I always have white, brown, and wild rice frozen, and sometimes quinoa.

As for the grains, I got I the habit of putting all my grains in the freezer years ago when I had a landlord who was less than cooperative about pest control. It’s a great way of keeping out the bugs (also good for making sure whole grains don’t go rancid if you buy in large quantities — we buy some things only once a year). The landlord and the bug problem are things of the past, but the habit remains, and I’ve never had any trouble with my grains.

I do the same thing with nuts, by the way. The Gander eats them. I don’t. Putting them in the freezer keeps them fresher for him and out of my sight, which is a good thing.

Hope that helps.

Goose

P.S. Girl Scout cookies also freeze well. But I would have a very hard time with keeping those around, even triple-wrapped, sealed with duct tape, and hidden in the deepest recesses of the freezer.
wildgoose

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:13 pm

THANK YOU WildGoose! That 11 cup pyrex dish is exactly what I’ve been searching for. It’s the missing piece to my puzzle.

Side note: we are finally getting a beautiful snow of big lazy snowflakes. If I’m going to be freezing, I would prefer to be surrounded by a winter wonderland. Otherwise it’s just cold and grey, yuck.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ejeff » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:16 pm

Lindsey I hope it doesn’t take too long to figure out the GERD. Your menu sounds great. That would be bad for me also if those cookies were in the house. I would need oat banana cookies to avoid them. We still have potato chips here, I can leave them alone if I have taco chips ready. About to bake another batch. This time I will try not to forget about them in the oven like I did last time lol.

Sue, I go to an essentrics class here in the RV park so it’s very convenient.

Mark remission for you would be so awesome, sure hope it happens.

Goose great you are staying at the low end of your range. The program is really working for you!
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby wildgoose » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:25 pm

Lyndzie wrote:THANK YOU WildGoose! That 11 cup pyrex dish is exactly what I’ve been searching for. It’s the missing piece to my puzzle.

Side note: we are finally getting a beautiful snow of big lazy snowflakes. If I’m going to be freezing, I would prefer to be surrounded by a winter wonderland. Otherwise it’s just cold and grey, yuck.

Glad that helped, Lindsey. I hope you like the 11-cup dish. It works well for me.

We have cold rain here, and our snow is turning to slop. Unfortunately, I think it’s all heading your way.

Goose
wildgoose

Postby Suey51 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:01 am

Thanks Mark! So pleased last week was good for your CRPS management. Hope the trend has continued this weeks!

Congrats Goose on staying at the bottom end of the weight range! When we’re in Spain, there’s also an organic farm a short drive away so we stock up there once a week and the produces keeps pretty well in the fridge and in a cool spare bedroom. We are lucky to be able to pick up any top-up items from several greengrocers within a short walking distance. I like the sound of all those different potatoes, plus the recipes you mentioned. In the UK we have two large freezers and freeze lots of fruit and veggies from our garden and allotment as well as batch cooked dishes. I’ve haven’t tried freezing nuts or uncooked grains, so I’ll give that a try.

Thanks Lindsey! The veggie paella was good and its something that all of my step-children enjoy so that’s good! The shashuka I make sounds a little different – here’s the recipe. I leave out the tofu and olive oil and don’t always use coriander as often don’t have that to hand. It's not MWL-compliant due to the olives but it is might tasty and quick to make. My husband really misses some of his old favourite dishes that have gravy or sauce and likes strong flavours so something like this with brown rice and veggies works well for both of us. I made a tortilla last year using chick pea flour and it was pretty good. I tried not to use any oil and things did stick a little in the pan, but overall it was very tasty and the brown bits added colour and texture! The local Lidl here in Span stocks a vegan tortilla but its made with oil and lots of salt :-( Hope your child’s GERD’s improving with the elimination diet. I do feel for him/her as it’s something I’ve had in pre-McDougall days. Your menu sounds yummy!

Erin – an Essentrics class sounds good! Hope you've had a good week.

My average weight for past 7 days is up by 0.7 pounds which I’m happy with in the circumstances. We had my stepson staying with us this week so we ate out a few times and had some off-plan snacks in the house. He files back to the UK tomorrow so we’ll revert to our usual eating at home and I’m going to attempt to tackle some Pleasure Trap eating that has crept in recently. On the exercise front I’ve played padel twice, been hiking, done a few weights at the gym plus an aerobics class, 2 spin classes and 2 yoga classes. So if I can get back to usual eating I’m hopeful that the weight will sort itself out....

Best wishes to all xx
Suey51

Postby Ejeff » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:33 am

Sue, very good staying so active! Ate out this week and even had a donut. Made me feel crappy lol. Why do I do that is the question. Anyway fighting off a bit of a virus and some vertigo. Scale shows up almost 2 pounds. No surprise there. Need to buy potatoes as I’m out and having a craving for them. Hope everyone’s week is good.
Ejeff

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:15 pm

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone! Did you celebrate? If so, what did you do? I hosted a party for ten overly energetic 7 year olds and gave them fresh fruit and homemade raspberry sorbet. It was fun, but tiring.

Sue - Your time in Spain sounds absolutely wonderful. Thank you for the shakshuka recipe, it looks delicious. I poked around that website and found another recipe for a Slovenian bean and sauerkraut soup that looks interesting. You have so many fun activities to do, too.

Erin - I am in the same boat as you, with those random CRAP foods. If I know there is a holiday I plan ahead, but then, wham, it’s a random Tuesday and the Girl Scout cookies are attacking me. I made the falafels this week and loved them. I omitted a few things (garlic, onions) but they still came out quite tasty with a good texture. Served them in whole wheat pitas with lettuce, cucumber and tomato with a tahini dill dressing. So yummy. Bummer to hear you are sick, we have something going around our house, too. Feel better soon!

I’m having good success with compliance and the scale is reflecting my good choices. Weighed in at 113.4 this morning, squarely in the 5 pound buffer zone. I need to get down to my ideal 110 because I plan on taking these kids to the pool ALL summer and want to feel my best running after the rugrats.

If you have a little time to kill, check out Dr. Lisle’s Esteem Dynamics channel on YouTube. He has short videos on emotional eating, the ego trap, and sugar, plus some other interesting topics on relationships and even an analysis of The Bachelorette. One of my all time favorite videos is his lecture on How to Lose Weight without Losing Your Mind (this isn’t short, but well worth the hour of time if you haven’t seen it yet).
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:43 am

Hi everyone!

Recently there has been a discussion in the Lounge about what non-dairy milk is better, which is a valid question, especially as the market has expanded and options from all kinds of nuts, seeds and grains have become available. The McDougall program’s stance on liquid calories is that they are best avoided, and if used, as a condiment (on cereal, or in tea, for example), never a beverage.

This questioning of which milk is better is best evaluated with Jeff’s grading scale, which he writes about in his critique of Dr. Lisle’s Continuum of Evil. He makes many excellent points about how grading systems of foods lead to people spending more time justifying the consumption of CRAP instead of increasing their consumption of healthy, whole foods. Jeff’s grading scale is simple:

Here is the basic guidelines for the 3 levels.

Level A

Unprocessed/very minimally processed, unrefined plants that are naturally low in fat, low in sat fat and low in calorie density and have no little to no added SOS (Sugars/sweeteners, Oils/fats, or Salt/sodium) according to my guidelines. There are no flour products, no high fat or calorie dense foods whole foods (nuts, seeds, dried fruit) in Level A.

SOS Guidelines
Added Sugar/sweeteners - no more than 5% of calories. The less the better.
Added Salt/Sodium - Aim for a 1:1 sodium to calorie ratio or less. Not to exceed 1,500 mg total in day. The less the better.
Added Oil - No more than 2% of total calories or less. Very low saturated. Unheated. For flavoring only. Not to exceed 4 gm/day. The less the better.

This is basically the equivalent of MWL.

Level B

Everything I mentioned in Level A but also Includes some unprocessed/very minimally processed unrefined plants that that may be higher in fat calorie density &/or processing. These include nuts, seeds, avocado, dried fruit, whole grain flour products (bread, bagels, dry cereals, crakers, tortilla’s) and puffed cereals and grains. How much of these foods one consumes is based on their health/medical condition.

This is more like the McDougall regular program with clearer guidelines.

Level F

Everything else is an F.

This evaluation scale is a simple and easy way to answer the question, “Should I be eating this?” Hopefully this information will help you make best choices (and possibly relieve any concerns about best practices).

Have a great week!
Lindsey
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories