JANUARY 2020 Maintenance Thread

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: JANUARY 2020 Maintenance Thread

Postby Ejeff » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:55 am

Wildgoose congratulations on such a huge weight loss. That is a true achievement. My BMI is 19.1 so very similar to you. I am a lot shorter just 5’2” lol.

Sue, that’s great you are trying out new activities. Padel looks a bit like pickleball except it’s likely a lot more movement as it seems the walls are also in play. Yay another idea, put grapefruit into my oats. Isn’t it funny how we tend to do the same things over and over. Like I’ve put berries, apples and bananas in oats, but never citrus fruit. Maybe I’m just strange haha.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:31 am

Erin - Grapefruit straight from the tree sounds fantastic. A big congratulations on your successful month of abstinences from oil, sugar & alcohol. Well done!

wildgoose - You are SO right that constant, chronic pain can really start to grind one down. At this point, I'm not going to tempt myself with any of that "balsamic crack," but after your favorable review I think I am going to buy some of the WYW Asian Sauce and Ketchup for my wife and daughter to use, and I'll just abstain from putting any on my food. I personally consume AT LEAST 4 servings of fruit every day; I do still consider myself to be in adherence to the MWL 10-Point Checklist (which doesn't specifically place a limit on fruit), despite deviating from the guidelines provided in the 2005 newsletter. In my case, my triglycerides were 43 on my most recent test, so I'm unconcerned. A big :thumbsup: for all your successes, that is so awesome. Just as you describe in your case, I ended up significantly below my original goal - I wanted to get down to 185 (my weight in high school) and that happened really easily, so I figured I would just see where I settled - my maintenance range has turned out to be ~155, along with a pretty significant improvement in muscle mass.

Lindsey - You are right that the cosmic crisps are pricey - they must have been on a great sale the first time I found them - I still like them the absolute best, but I'm too frugal to buy them regularly at the current price, so it has been jazz or sweet tango apples for us lately. Congrats on your rapid return to form and enjoy the big game!

Sue - Glad your January experiment proved successful! I was very interested and excited to see the release of the 10-Point Checklist for the regular program, let me know how it works for you.
Mark Cooper

Postby wildgoose » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:29 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:I think I am going to buy some of the WYW Asian Sauce and Ketchup for my wife and daughter to use, and I'll just abstain from putting any on my food.

Mark, I do like the WYW Asian Sauce. The WYW Ketchup has a spice in it (maybe cloves?) that makes it sort of OK but not outstanding for me. I’d be interested to hear what your wife and daughter think.

When I use up the ketchup, I’m going back to a homemade recipe I’ve used on occasion. It’s easy, and I like it better.

Glad to hear about your good triglyceride number. I’m going to enjoy the Sumo oranges that we drove 10 miles to get last night and not worry about where my triglycerides are going.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:57 am

wildgoose wrote: I’m going to enjoy the Sumo oranges that we drove 10 miles to get last night and not worry about where my triglycerides are going.

:D They are SO good! After making short work of about 20 sumos a few weeks back, my stinginess overruled my tastebuds, so it is back to regular cheap navels for me.
Mark Cooper

Previous

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories