DECEMBER 2019 Maintenance Thread

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

DECEMBER 2019 Maintenance Thread

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:16 pm

Welcome to the McDougall Maintenance support group! Let’s join together for support and camaraderie while we strive to maintain our successes.

Many of us have lost weight and/or reached other health goals. We’re ready for that next chapter, maintaining the gains we’ve accomplished.

This group will have Friday check ins, where everyone can touch base. Weigh-ins are optional, and will not be tracked. Please feel free to share your non-scale victories (NSV) as well.

In order to foster group participation, we do ask that only participants post, so please do join! You can join at any time simply by hitting the “post reply” button and saying something along the lines of “I’d like to join.” As they say, the more, the merrier.

Hi everyone!

We're in the last month of the year!

First off, thank you all for participating in the inaugural year of the maintenance thread. We're a small but fairly tight-knit group. We've fallen into a solid rhythm and are all kicking it with staying the course. Go us!

I came across this thread earlier today that was written about the Simplicity of this way of eating. It easily explains the how and why of this way of eating with numbers. The article was a nice reminder of the magic behind the curtain, so to speak. I'm always amazed at the amount of information this forum contains, going back over a decade at this point.

This month contains many different holidays. Are you going to celebrate anything? Are you making any special foods to enjoy? Any family traditions you'd like to share?

Our first check-in of the month will be this Friday, December 6.

Best to you all,
Lindsey
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: DECEMBER 2019 Maintenance Thread

Postby Starchyme » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi, all. I haven't been on the board for quite some time. Can't recall last time I posted. But happy to say, December 12th will be my one year anniversary on maintenance. I started my journey almost 24 years ago! It's really so simple now. Wishing all of you happy and successful McDougalling!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:17 am

Congrats Starchyme! What a wonderful accomplishment. You are in a well-worn groove at this point. Thanks for stopping by and keeping us posted on your success.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:15 am

Congratulations, Starchyme! What an awesome accomplishment!

I had a pretty decent week for pain management, mostly moderate pain (the CRPS has definitely spread to encompass my whole left leg unfortunately, but the severity has remained fairly moderate). My BMI continues to hold steady, and I'm still "passing the plate test" :lol: . I am so accustomed to the 10pt MWL checklist it really feels integrated and second nature at this point.

Best to all for a wonderful, starch-filled week to come!
Mark Cooper

Postby Starchyme » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:42 am

Thanks Lyndzie and Mark. I am surprised how easy maintenance is. I did spend 23 years preparing for it! LOL But it's definitely my way of eating for (my) life now and loving it!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Ejeff » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:35 am

Wow 24 years that’s fantastic! I only discovered Dr. McDougall on the radio 5 years ago, I wish it had been 25, but better late then never. I’ve had 2 weeks without much walking so need to get back into a routine. Hip pain is still there a bit, but hopefully it’s manageable and will improve with time as opposed to getting worse. Week was good other than eating out last night...too many not compliant desserts from a buffet. Today right back on track, not going to dwell on the bad.

Otherwise week was good, been eating smokey Mac and cheese, that sauce is so simple and tasty I’m going to start putting it on just veggies more often. Made a big batch of healthy cookies yesterday so need to stop baking now. Hard to believe we are in the last month of the year, time sure does fly. Wishing you all a great week.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Suey51 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:08 am

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of posts, I had an issue posting to the forum from the wifi in our apartment so have had to log in from elsewhere....

Lindsey - so pleased you had a successful Thanksgiving! I know what you mean about doing more work than necessary - it's all a learning process isn't it? We are in Southern Spain in the Andalucia region. We are in a medium sized town on the coast which still has a Spanish feel, although it is popular with ex-pats as a Winter or full-time home. It's a similar size to our UK home town and has the amenities that I like to have within walking distance - shops, cafes, gym, yoga classes - as well as stunning countryside. Mid-December we travel back to the UK for a month and we'll be back here till early April.

Thank you for sharing the thread about Simplicity - that's really helpful!

Sirdle - loved reading your post last month :-D Those numbers tell a wonderful story! It really is the food isn't it?

Mark - sorry to hear that your pain has spread.

Starchyme - many congratulations on your one year maintenance anniversary! What a wonderful achievement :-D

I spotted Brand New Vegan: An Interview with Dr. John McDougallin my emails last week and enjoyed watching it while doing some food prep.

My weight is tracking a pound above my goal weight after some off-plan evening snacking. Other than that, all is good.

Wishing everyone a week of successful McDougalling! xx
Suey51

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:11 pm

I hope you are enjoying Spain and have a safe journey back to the UK, Sue!

Ejeff wrote:Hard to believe we are in the last month of the year, time sure does fly.

I know! It is crazy that the year is nearly over.

My pain was definitely ramped up this week, I suspect it is at least partly because of how cold and damp it has been lately. I had a float therapy session yesterday that definitely helped, I'm feeling quite a bit improved today. My weight/BMI continues to hold steady and I'm (as always) eating in compliance with the 10pt MWL checklist. I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday and hopefully we will be discussing ideas for continuing to manage my CRPS, I would really love to be pain free at some point, but right now I'd be happy if the spreading can be arrested. Next Friday we head to Philadelphia for a Saturday morning flight to Washington state - we'll be spending a (hopefully) relaxing holiday with my wife's parents.

Best to all for a wonderful, health-supporting week to come!
Mark Cooper

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:26 pm

:P Mark, it is such a bummer to hear that your pain has been increased. Hopefully you and your doctor can come up with some ideas to get that improved and ideally eliminated.

I’ve had some spectacular weeks with compliance. The accountability group has been so helpful in keeping in keeping my focus in line, and I’m in a good groove. We’re suppose to go to a neighborhood gathering tomorrow night and bring an hors d’oeuvre, and I’m having tomeouble figuring out what to take that is easy, cheap, compliant and ideally impressive.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ejeff » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:46 am

Yes Mark I sure hope the pain improves for you. Lindsey, I struggle with what to take to gatherings also. I have a nice recipe for a large and colourful bean salad, but it seems more appealing for a summer barbecue. Appetizers are tricky. I have always wanted to make a vegan cheese ball, but have not done it yet. Good job on staying compliant for the past weeks! I’ve been snacking a lot on healthy cookies, but have still managed to drop back down to the weight I was at before France trip. So I suppose 4 weeks to gain 3 pounds and 6 to get them off again is somewhat reasonable. Family meal today and I’ve made 2 desserts. One is a complaint strawberry cheesecake and the other is a banana cream pie that is made with coconut cream so it will be very high fat. Main course will be healthy African peanut stew and broccoli cheese soup.

Sue, I guess you are snowbirds to Spain eh? We will be heading back down to Arizona and Palm Springs after Christmas for our snowbird destination again this winter. I am looking forward to more activities although I will try to ease into them more than last year.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:16 pm

Thanks for the well wishes - I will say that I am really fortunate since CRPS can be so completely debilitating for many sufferers (I have to remind myself of this when I'm starting to get dejected :) ).

Congrats on your great compliance, Lindsey; that mutual support thread seems really great!

Enjoy the warm weather in the new year, Ejeff! 3 lbs in six weeks seems seems totally reasonable, to me.
Mark Cooper

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:18 pm

Erin, where are you headed in Arizona? We’re hoping to visit the Scottsdale area again, not sure about timing. I’m always up for meeting fellow McDougallers. Last year I met Scott and we went for a hike. It’s so nice to meet like-minded people!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ejeff » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:57 am

Lindsey we will be in the Phoenix area, not sure how far that is from Scottsdale. Would be nice to meet up if timing works out.
Ejeff

Postby Ejeff » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:50 am

Down half a pound this week. I’m surprised as I ate a couple dishes with coconut cream this week. My stomach reinforces that eating low fat is much better for me. Week was good, have enjoyed getting back into some walking and pickleball. Hip pain hasn’t returned so keeping my fingers crossed. I think the thing that is helping me maintain my weight and drop it a bit lower is focusing on eating more veggies. I suppose that’s just using the calorie density principle, but with friends struggling to lose weight I will always say add more veggies. My daughter and I have planned to make a few things over the next few days, smokey pasta with kale, tofu scramble, jackfruit pulled pork. Treats will be gingersnaps and puffed wheat squares, so there will be some oil in the cookies. Christmas dinner will be both plant based and SAD. The plant eaters will have bean loaf of some type, veggie gravy. The SAD eaters will have turkey and fatty gravy lol. We will also make 2 versions of stuffing. Gee when it’s written out it sounds complicated, but my hubby does the SAD cooking. Other veggies that everyone can eat will be corn and carrots. There will be other junk food like chocolates and chips, I will just do my best to minimize eating that.

We have 2 parties in the next 4 days which are appetizers. I will eat before I go and have a couple crackers. Well might be a couple chocolates too. I don’t stress over it too much, I enjoy the visiting more than the food.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a peaceful and joyous time with your friends and family.
Ejeff

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:06 am

I had a good week for pain management and my BMI remains steady. I'm still adhering to the 10pt MWL checklist.

Ejeff wrote:I think the thing that is helping me maintain my weight and drop it a bit lower is focusing on eating more veggies. I suppose that’s just using the calorie density principle, but with friends struggling to lose weight I will always say add more veggies. .

I totally agree, non-starchy vegetables are definitely key and to my mind are somewhat more likely to be a bit neglected even by people who practice this way of eating.

We are off to Washington state for a week to spend the holiday with my wife's parents. Wishing a joyous, fulfilling and health-promoting holiday season to all of you! Take care and be well.
Mark Cooper

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories