NOVEMBER 2019 Maintenance thread

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: NOVEMBER 2019 Maintenance thread

Postby sirdle » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:19 pm

It's been a relaxing few days after several very hectic weeks of work.

I always said that I wouldn't really consider myself successful at this way of eating until I could navigate long work hours, evening studying, and lack of exercise, and still stay the course.

Now, I consider myself successful. Even though I am very busy right now, I have managed to collect an assortment of lunch and dinner recipes that are quick and easy to put together: broccoli and brown rice; microwaved potato with salsa; microwaved sweet potato with cinnamon; pasta, broccoli and red sauce; salad. These are my staples. When I have time, I like to cook a big meal and eat leftovers during the week... but in a pinch, I fall back on these staples and they see me through. Dinner or lunch ready in 10 min with very few dirty dishes. I'm lovin' it. :-P

My weight has been drifting downward very slowly. I am very close to where I want to be... but my goals keep changing. My original goal was 173 lbs, which was my college weight. Then my goal was 165, which was my high school racing weight. Then my goal was 159, which is the midpoint of the healthy BMI range for my height. Now my goal is 158.4 which is a nice, round 72 kg. I am currently at 159.6 lbs. :-P

After 17 years of fighting to lower my weight and keep it off, it amazes me that I can maintain a healthy weight -- even during stressful times and even without exercising -- with very little effort.

It's the food.

This has been an all-Cathy Fisher weekend. On Thursday I made her Mashed Potato Bake for lunch and then her Beefless Stew for dinner. Yesterday, I cooked up her Curry Rice Casserole. And today, I'll be cooking her Split Pea and Yam Soup... or as my wife calls it: green and gold soup.

Hope you are all doing well!

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:35 pm

Welcome, Sirdle! Excellent to hear you are navigating life and managing to stay on plan. You are a success. Your quick meals are a prime example of easy and nutritious dinners. Thanks for the Cathy Fisher reminder, I should put her beefless stew on the menu.

Hi Mark! Your Thanksgiving sounds quite lovely. It's so nice to have supportive family through the holidays.

Hello Erin! If I remember correctly, you are just a bit above where you want to be weight-wise? Not a lot of margin to work with there, but you hit the nail on the head with reducing those rich foods. Excellent to hear your pre-planning worked in regards to avoiding alcohol. Is your hip feeling better?

Hi Sue! I had a successful Thanksgiving. Just made a bunch of stuff I could eat, but probably did more work than necessary, will need to re-evaluate for next year. How long will you be in Spain for? Forgive me if I've forgotten, what part of the country are you staying in? I've been to Barcelona in the summer, it's quite a lovely place.

Hello Deb! Thanks for stopping by. Between the servant's Yorkshire accents and the proper high-class accents of the children, I probably sound like a drunk Australian more than anything. It's entertaining to say the least. :)

The December maintenance thread is live!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ejeff » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:27 am

Hi Lindsey. Yes hip is feeling better, but I’ve just started doing some stretches now and need to ease back into activities. Thanks so much for asking. And yes ideally I would be down about 5 more pounds, but not gaining is super important to me. I have noticed that when I eat whole wheat pasta the scale seems to drop so maybe I need to have pasta more often! I love it. I am planning to make that smokey pasta source today. It’s supposed to have kale added, but spinach will have to do.

I know what you mean about rethinking if it felt like too much work. Maybe next year you can make a casserole a few weeks ahead and have it frozen. Someone on this forum just posted a recipe for curry rice casserole I want to make that soon.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Previous

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories