SEPTEMBER 2019 Maintenance Thread

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: SEPTEMBER 2019 Maintenance Thread

Postby Ejeff » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:39 am

Sue, very nice you are into yoga I think it’s one of the best things for a healthy body. I only do it sometimes, but keep thinking about doing it more. As requested here are the recipes:

https://thevegan8.com/vegan-oil-free-zucchini-fritters/
http://forealslife.com/blog/vegan-smokey-mac-and-greens

I use whole wheat pasta. I hope you enjoy the recipes :-D
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Suey51 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:25 am

Thanks Erin! Looking forward to trying those recipes :-)
Suey51

Postby Suey51 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:11 am

Hello everyone!

Food this week has been at home apart from one compliant meal out with my Mum. I suggested we go to a local carvery which is one of her fav lunch places and she hadn't been since before her knee op. She usually goes there with her friends as she knows its not somewhere I would choose to eat. Looking at the menu online before we went, there were some vegan options but they all looked to have oil, salt etc. and they didn't have any boiled or baked potatoes, or other starches as side dishes. So, my lovely Mum made me a jacket potato and wrapped it in foil so I could take it with me! With the boiled veg from the carvery counter, plus some dijon mustard it made for a filling meal :-)

Meals at home have included tomato and cucumber salad (we have lots in our garden); a root veg, chick pea and pearl barley soup (one of my husband's chuck it all in soups!); courgette soup; minestrone soup; sweet potato baked fries; hummus; braised red cabbage; kale cooked with garlic and onion; 'Portuguese' rice (brown rice cooked in veggie stock, black beans and finely chopped veggies) and steamed potatoes. With us both doing batch cooking, there's been lots of pre-prepared food in the fridge which is great :-)

My weight is down by 1 pound and my husband's is down by 0.4. I think his weight might have been a little lower but he cooked himself some veggie fajitas with shop-bought wraps and used a lot of a pre-made fajita spice mix (30% salt), and his weight is still settling back down after a water-retention increase. Recently we've both been cooking without salt and he's cut out most of the processed foods that he was eating, so the fajitas would have been a big hike in sodium consumption. He doesn't usually weigh himself everyday so hasn't noticed an overnight 2-3 pound increase on the scales before. Anyway, we're enjoying sharing the cooking, (mostly) eating the same foods, chatting about weight maintenance/loss and McDougalling together. And it's certainly helping me improve my compliance and to enjoy the process even more :-)

His fajita-experience has prompted me to remind myself what Dr McD says on the topic of salt and here are the links in case anyone else would like a recap:

Webinar: 04/10/18, Dr. John McDougall: Salt & Sugar Recommendations
McDougall’s Moments: The Truth About Salt
Dr McDougall August 2008 Newsletter - Salt: The Scapegoat for the Western Diet

Best wishes, Sue x
Suey51

Postby Ejeff » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:34 am

Good for you Sue, nice you and your hubby can work together on healthy eating. I gained about a pound this week. Some taco chips with oil probably didn’t help the cause. Also a couple meals out this week and one more tonight. We will be travelling for the next month so been using up things on hand, made a quick celery soup with onions. I did buy some more spelt and had that with some frozen blueberries and a bit of sugar and plant milk. Very tasty treat. The month of October will be a challenge as there will be meals out, but I will do my best to eat healthy and enjoy the trip. It’s gotten very chilly here, we may even get some flurries over the weekend. Sure does make a person want to eat soup. Wishing you all a great week.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby victw » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:38 am

Monthly weigh-in. 135.6. Still a good BMI.

I switched up my breakfast this week. I made Jeff's fries. I had baked potatoes. And I air fried them. This worked well because I could pre-bake the potatoes for a couple of days and then air fry them in the morning while I put my everything together to take to work. My food bag is huge - I bring lunch and dinner.

I have not decided on prep for next week. But I think it will be cool enough for soup. And more potatoes.

I was doing oat burgers for breakfast. But having bread around was a problem for my husband. He is very supportive and has lots of good habits. He helps make sure we have a good supply of veggies in the house. But he snacks on bread if it's around.

Wait - I don't want to close this out without a more solid plan for next week. So I'm going to commit to making pressure cooker risotto. It's usually good for 3 meals.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:06 am

My BMI is holding steady, but my pain levels were more elevated this week; the pain did finally settle down a bit by the weekend - as usual I couldn't determine any specific trigger. I'm continuing diligently with my various therapies and keeping my fingers crossed. As always, still eating in alignment with the 10 point MWL checklist.

It must feel great to share your "McDougalling" with your spouse, Sue! That is absolutely excellent.

Best of luck finding health-supporting restaurant options, Erin! Enjoy your travels!

Vic - I really love the Novick fries, I make them at least once almost every week. :D
Mark Cooper

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:54 am

Hi everyone! Sounds like everyone is having a great month.

Mark - sorry to hear this week was challenging, hopefully next week will be better. The mirror therapy sounds really neat.

Vic - Good to hear from you! The risotto sounds great, what’s your recipe?

Erin - Where are you headed to next? I just recently hear about “Shelf-tember,” where you aim to clean out your pantry, fridge and freezer while spending less than $25/week on food for the month of September. You’re pretty much doing that!

Sue - That was so nice of your mom to bring you a potato! And great news that your husband is McDougalling with you, having spousal support is such a luxury. Thanks for the links!

As for me, I had let too many convenience foods sneak in and needed to refocus my efforts. For the past couple weeks I have really focused on making sure the fridge has ready-to-heat options and have made sure to stick to the plan. My weight had crept up to 115.6, but is back down to my usual 110-112 range. I think with some really strict adherence it might go a few pounds lower.

This week’s menu includes Vegan8’s lentil loaf with mashed potatoes and green beans. I’m also contemplating cabbage rolls, or maybe chili and cornbread.

Thanks for always being here! Even when I don’t get a chance to write a thorough response, I make sure to read the posts. It’s nice to know that no matter what in life, we have support.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:43 pm

October thread is posted.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby KatherineUK » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:07 am

I'd like to join please. I met up with 2 lovely UK McDougallers a few weeks ago (1 new and 1 I'd met previously) and its so motivated me even though I started McDougalling nearly 10 years ago. I can't believe it! So Sue suggested checking in with you guys. And it's Friday too!

Kx
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:46 am

Hello and welcome, Katherine! There is actually a new thread for October - https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=60165
Mark Cooper

Postby Starchyme » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:56 pm

HI, all. I'm still doing well. I maintained the same weight this month and it's now 3 below my goal. I'm entertaining the thought to lower my goal to this. So 112 it is!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Previous

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories