SEPTEMBER 2019 Maintenance Thread

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

SEPTEMBER 2019 Maintenance Thread

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:08 pm

Welcome to the McDougall Maintenance support group! Let’s join together for support and camaraderie while we strive to maintain our successes.

Many of us have lost weight and/or reached other health goals. We’re ready for that next chapter, maintaining the gains we’ve accomplished.

This group will have Friday check ins, where everyone can touch base. Weigh-ins are optional, and will not be tracked. Please feel free to share your non-scale victories (NSV) as well. Each week I plan to post some “food for thought” also, either some helpful information or just a little motivation for the week ahead.

In order to foster group participation, we do ask that only participants post, so please do join! You can join at any time simply by hitting the “post reply” button and saying something along the lines of “I’d like to join.” As they say, the more, the merrier.

Hello everyone!

We're moving into fall here in the northern hemisphere and cooler weather is slowly creeping in. Tomorrow is Labor Day here in the States, which marks the end of summer and the move towards sweatshirts and changing leaves. Soups have been on my mind lately, and here is a huge list of tasty recipes to try out.

Our first check in for the month is this Friday, September 6th, 2019.

Best to you all,
Lindsey
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: SEPTEMBER 2019 Maintenance Thread

Postby Suey51 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:22 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks Lindsey for the list of recipes! Yes, will share the carrot cake recipe once I'm happy with it. I also make a carrot-cake-style baked porridge which is yummy. It has similar flavours and is good as an occasional treat, rather than a regular breakfast as it's easy to overeat! This week, we have had our first winter squash from the allotment. (We hadn't intended to pick it as it wasn't fully ripe but it fell off while we were weeding!) Used it in a mixed veg and bean soup/stew from a recipe a friend gave me. The squash and sweet potato give it a comforting autumnal taste and texture.

Starychme - yay! Great work :-)

Happy anniversary Erin! Top job on the night-time eating and weight loss. Thanks for clarifying the Buddha/salad/power bowl! Love the sound of your dressing so will give that a try. I'll check out the recipe for the pasta casserole recipe that sounds tasty. How was the plant-based/no oil restaurant?

Mark - those sweet potatoes look gorgeous! Excellent news on your CPRS. Hope that the motor imagery therapy goes well. I had to do an online search as I'd not heard of this or mirror therapy before.

This week my weight is up about 0.4 pounds. My Mum had her second knee replacement a week ago so my usual routine has been changed and I've gone for some quicker/easier, but more calorie dense foods. I'm pleased to say she's doing really well :-)

Best wishes to all, Sue xx
Suey51

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:55 am

So glad to hear your mother is doing well, Sue! I know knee replacement can sometimes make for a difficult recovery.
Mark Cooper

Postby Ejeff » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:28 am

The restaurant was very good. We shared and had a donair and a mushroom lemon pasta. Both meals came with soup so it was very filling. The donair had a nice sweet sauce and the meat was mushrooms. We will definitely go again. It wasn’t busy though and on a Friday evening that’s not a great sign. But they also do catering so hopefully they stay in business. I am noticing there are more and more plant based restaurants opening up which is nice to see.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Suey51 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:02 am

Thanks Mark!

Welcome deweyswakms!

Erin - the food sounds yummy and I hope the restaurant is able to continue in business. Had to do an online search for a Donair!

My weight this week is holding steady :-) I am excited to be joining a McDougall Pot Luck Lunch tomorrow. Not only my first time at a Pot Luck but also my first time meeting UK McDougallers!

Best wishes to all, Sue x
Suey51

Postby Ejeff » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:12 am

Nice Sue you will go to a potluck! I have not connected in person with other McDougallers yet. Weight in same range, this week made a buffalo potato salad and ate that for several days it was tasty because I love spice. Been making taco chips and having those with refried beans mixed with tomatoes, black olives and salsa. Bok choy stir fries with celery and onions also. I am planning to make the granola today so I will let you know how that turns out. No oil and bananas and dates for the sweetener. Have a good week :-D
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:29 pm

Buffalo potato salad sounds fantastic, Erin!

Sue - I hope you enjoy the potluck, what fun to be able to socialize with others who practice this way of eating.

Welcome deweyswakms!

I had a really excellent week for managing my CRPS - relatively comfortable and calm days, overall. I've been really enjoying roasted butternut squash this week.

Take care and be well, everyone!
Mark Cooper

Postby Ejeff » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:10 am

Glad your feeling good Mark. This week I made the Thai coleslaw again, but I think it was over dressed because it was a bit soggy. Still ate it though as I rarely waste food. This hasn’t been my best week food wise, had some taco chips with oil. It’s so true that anything in your house will eventually end up in your mouth even if I think it won’t. We bought too many avacado so I’ve been eating way too much if it. Scale hasn’t really changed but I believe this extra fat is giving me some heartburn. So smart thing wòuld be to stop eating it....sometimes I’m just not smart! This week I will have company and plan to make zucchini corn fritters with lemon pepper sauce and also Smokey pasta and kale dish. Camping with the kids this weekend and the forecast is good! We’ve had so much rain this summer records were set. I made healthy oatmeal cookies to take as well as hummus and veggies. Pasta is also on the menu. Wishing you all a happy healthy week.
Ejeff

Postby Suey51 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:34 am

Hi everyone,

Thought you might be interested to see this list of Dr Doug Lisle videos compiled by Amy on the September MWL Weigh-In Thread. Don't think I've watched all of these so going to add to my list of Autumn viewing! What's your favourite of his videos?

amandamechele wrote: I thought I’d just post a whole list of Dr. Lisle’s lectures, from this website and his own website Esteem Dynamics for you to peruse. He has done many many other fantastic interviews, so if you think this isn’t comprehensive enough, please goto YouTube and do a search (such as “Doug Lisle and Healthy Living Live”). Additionally, he is the feature on a weekly podcast called Beat Your Genes that touches on pleasure trap/ego trap dilemmas but more-so on navigating life’s issues in other domains as understood through the lens of evolutionary psychology.
So here it is:
From the McDougall Website:
McDougall Webinar: The Slow Fast Way, 01-14-16
McDougall Webinar: Stepping Stones to Self Esteem, 02-11-16
McDougall Webinar: Losing Weight Without Losing Your Mind, 03-10-16
McDougall Webinar: Dare to Be Lousy, 04-14-16
McDougall Webinar: Food Addiction, Emotional Eating, Weight Loss Part 1, 05-12-16
McDougall Webinar: Food Addiction, Emotional Eating, Weight Loss Part 2, 06-23-16
McDougall Webinar: Discusses Friends and Family, 07-14-16
McDougall Webinar: Anxiety and Panic Attacks, 09-08-16
McDougall Webinar: Anxiety and Panic Attacks: Q & A, 10-13-16
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answer, 11-17-16
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answer, 12-08-16
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answer, 12-15-16
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answer, 02-09-17
McDougall Webinar: The Perfect Personality, 03-09-17
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Wide-Ranging Topics, 04-13-17
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answers, 05-11-17
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answers, 06-08-17
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answers, 08-10-17
McDougall Webinar: The Cram Circuit, 09-14-17
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answers, 10-12-17
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answers, 10-19-17
McDougall Webinar: The Secrets to Positive Change, 02-26-18
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answers, 03-19-18
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answers, 04-24-18
McDougall Webinar: The Story of Willpower: What it is and How it Works, 08-28-18

From the Esteem Dynamics Website:
The Continuum of Evil
Losing Weight Without Losing Your Mind
Questions and Answers
The Perfect Personality
The Path of Least Resistance
The Pleasure Trap
Getting Along Without Going Along
Success Forces

Erin - your food sounds delicious! How did the granola turn out? Hope you had fun camping and with your company :-)

Mark - pleased you had a good week for pain management last week. Are you noticing any benefits from the new therapy you were starting? (Sorry, can't find the post with the full name!)

The pot luck last Saturday was delightful! It was so lovely to meet UK McDougallers, KatherineUK and FrancesUK and to share our food. There were plenty of leftovers so we all took a mixed box of goodies home. Similar to when I met other McDougallers at the 3 day program in March, we were able to dive in to a deeper conversation than would usually be possible at a first meeting. I loved swapping stories, recipes and tips with them. KatherineUK made a delicious pear and poppy seed pound cake and very kindly gave me some to take home. It was a big hit with my husband (unlike my other attempts at McD compliant cakes :lol: ) so have made it at home.

This week my weight is up by about half a pound. We ate out twice in restaurants and I noticed how salty the food was. I don't use it much in cooking at home, and don't enjoy the taste of restaurant-prepared dishes as much as I used to. And the scales the next day show the impact on my weight/water retention.

We've been lucky to be given fruit from family and friend's gardens so have made and frozen apple puree and used pears in the new cake recipe. We are also starting to harvest our own pumpkin so I've been roasting that with my own spice mix. This is one of husband's favourite dishes. He's planning to have 3 weeks of closer compliance to McDougall eating so I'm hoping that will help me reduce my calorie density a little. This week he made a batch of garlic griddled courgettes for making sandwiches, a sliced potato dish with onions, veggie stock and soy milk, topped with breadcrumbs (potato boulanger?), a root veg and pearly barley soup and prepared lots of leafy greens - he's a keeper! I made a veg and lentil chili using up some of the courgette mountain from our allotment. In desperation, I also grated courgette into my porridge instead of my usual banana :eek: It was surprisingly pleasant!

Hope you all have a good week.

Best wishes, Sue x
Suey51

Postby Starchyme » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:15 am

Hi, folks. I'm hanging in even though I haven't been reporting in. Still below my goal weight, but did gain a pound or so. Happy to mention that it' the first time in my 80+ years I've ever maintained any weight loss. I've got this! Feeling confident I can give away my larger clothes since maintaining 9 months. Thank you Dr. McDougall and the support also from you all. Wishing everyone continued success!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:03 pm

Starchyme wrote:Hi, folks. I'm hanging in even though I haven't been reporting in. Still below my goal weight, but did gain a pound or so. Happy to mention that it' the first time in my 80+ years I've ever maintained any weight loss. I've got this! Feeling confident I can give away my larger clothes since maintaining 9 months. Thank you Dr. McDougall and the support also from you all. Wishing everyone continued success!

That is absolutely fantastic, Starchyme! That feeling of confidence deserves a big thumbsup! :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for sharing the video post, Sue! That is really a great resource.

Suey51 wrote:Mark - pleased you had a good week for pain management last week. Are you noticing any benefits from the new therapy you were starting? (Sorry, can't find the post with the full name!)

The graded motor imagery therapy does seem to be having a slow, but steady positive effect - I had another very good week for pain management (although I did have a moderate flare-up on Sunday). I'm definitely going to continue to diligently follow the therapy progression, I'm hopeful that it will continue to help. That potluck sounds fantastic! I'm so glad you were able to enjoy a fun time and spend time with some familiar "user names." :lol:

Thanks for the well wishes, Erin. I hope you had a great camping trip and the weather cooperated.

My BMI remains steady at 20.2 Best to everyone! Let's have an enriching and healthful week!
Mark Cooper

Postby Starchyme » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:11 pm

Many thanks for cheering me on, Mark. Another biggie I realized is I was recently on a 3-day vacation with my family, SAD folks, and that's where the one pound came from. But it's a far cry from how I used to conduct myself with saying "I'm on vacation" and eating off program and ending up with 5 extra pounds.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Suey51 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:48 am

Well done Starchyme - great news on maintaining the weight loss :D And it's wonderful to hear that you feel confident enough to give away your larger-sized clothes, well done you!

Mark - so pleased that the graded motor imagery therapy seems to be having a positive effect and that you've had another good week for pain management :-)

I'm back to goal weight this week. We did lots of batch cooking and ate at home, apart from one compliant cafe meal. My husband is 1 week into a 3 week 'no alcohol and McDougall eating' experiment after having had mild gout recently and wanting to lose a few more pounds. His weight is down by nearly 4 pounds and he's sleeping much better.

This week's meals have included another batch of potatoes boulanger; a spinach and tomato pizza (using a pizza crust recipe that I think was shared here by Erin or Lindsey); roasted spicy winter squash, roasted potatoes and beetroot with leafy greens; tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce salad with chick pea salad sandwich filling; an apple and blackberry 'crumble' (topping made from wholemeal breadcrumbs from the freezer mixed with oats) and wholemeal pasta with veggies and a no-cheese sauce from the freezer (wish I could remember the recipe as it was pretty good even after a few months frozen :lol:)

We've also frozen some of this year's garden produce and I'm happy to report that I still have a couple of finger nails left after grating 3 kilos of courgettes :lol:

Best wishes, Sue x
Suey51

Postby Ejeff » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:54 am

Sue that’s a lot of courgette! Mark, camping was great weather and we enjoyed time visiting with family. This week I cooked zucchini corn fritters with lemon pepper sauce and Smokey pasta with kale. I love both these recipes and am enjoying them. No more cooking for a few days as I have to use up the “inventory”. We are having a lovely stretch of nice weather and the trees are such a beautiful yellow. This is my favourite time of year enjoying the changing colours and watching the leaves fall. Weight is the same and I’m feeling happy today. Just appreciating the little things which includes these McDougall chats and like minded people. Hope the week is good for everyone. Oh almost forgot I also made a butternut squash soup, it was higher fat as I used coconut milk, but it was so yummy.
Ejeff

Postby Suey51 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:19 am

Hi Erin! Good job on maintaining your weight :) Your zucchini corn fritters with lemon pepper sauce and smokey pasta with kale sound yummy - please would you share the recipes? Made zucchini/courgette soup and roast courgette yesterday but still have some lurking on the kitchen counter to deal with!

I'm 100% with you on appreciating the little things in life and really value the interactions here :-) Like you we are having some lovely sunny autumnal days this month. Right now I am appreciating some banana porridge topped with homegrown blackberries and some galia melon - delicious! Then off to a yoga class led by a friend who is nearing the end of her yoga teacher training and wants to practice.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend x
Suey51

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories