JUNE 2019 Maintenance Group

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: JUNE 2019 Maintenance Group

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:11 am

I realize now, I’m rereading what I wrote, starting with “what a great week” wasn’t really the best intro considering the following paragraph. My week has been great, despite the weather!

I also meant to include the link for the stuffed shells recipe: https://engine2diet.com/blog/rinotta-stuffed-shells/

I haven’t really poked around it enough, but the McDougall website has recipes conveniently categorized. https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... l-recipes/
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:04 pm

Another pretty great week for pain management, no major increase in severity. As has become typical for me, I strictly followed the 10-pt MWL checklist for all my meals. It feels remarkable to me how effortless my compliance has become, as long as I just stick to it and build up a significant streak. In the past, the things that have tended to throw me off have been times when I'm forced to deviate from my regular routine - travel, family get together, &c. We're flying to San Antonio to visit my mother at the end of July, so I'm going to be sure to develop a good game plan heading into that trip.

Suey51 wrote:Mark - so pleased you had a good week with the pain management :) A coincidence that we were both making the beef less stew this weekend! It was my first time and my husband and I both really enjoyed it. He's a partial McDougaller and I love to find recipes that we both enjoy. Do you have any other recipes that all the family enjoy?

Thanks! My wife and daughter don't practice this WOE, but they are also "partial McDougallers," since I prepare nearly all the meals. The Vegan 8 Chili "Cheese" Fries are a consistent hit with my family (https://thevegan8.com/vegan-low-fat-chili-cheese-fries/).

Their absolute favorite McDougall recipe is the Baked Penne Florentine (https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/recipes/mcdougall-recipes/?recipe-id=652&recipe-name=Baked-Penne-Florentine)

Lyndzie wrote:Because of the 21 day challenge I’ve been more motivated to turn down many of the usual “exceptions,” such as a piece of cake at a retirement party. It’s amazing how many little things were sneaking in! I am down .9 lbs since last Friday, for a solid 2 lbs since the challenge started.

Lindsey, that is a really excellence loss - it is always SO rewarding when adherence "pays off." :D
Mark Cooper

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:51 am

Mark - It’s so good to hear that you have your pain at a manageable level. You are such a good example of how adherence to the program get results. The trip to San Antonio sounds fun (despite the food challenges while traveling)! Will you be gone long? Are you from Texas? I haven’t been to San Antonio in almost 20 years, but I remember it fondly.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ejeff » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:27 am

Had a good week. Lost a pound and I felt like my eating was better overall. I made nice cream the past couple evenings and that really seemed to hit the spot. Stopped me from eating more stuff lol. This week we have a couple birthdays so the family dinner menu will be chili, potatoe salad, and cornbread. Carrot cake for dessert. All food will be McDougall compliant so I am happy about that. My hubby often thinks we need to also have a SAD option, but I talked him out of that. I started meditating again and am happy about that. Just a few days in, but I’m committed to 90 days straight no matter what. We had a few rainy days so had to miss pickleball and it was more of a challenge to get my 13,000 steps in, but I did it thanks to the treadmill in our basement. Took all week to finish off the lasagne, but it sure was handy to have it ready in the fridge. It’s a bit surprising that I lost weight eating so much pasta, but I’ll take it! This week I’m making a bok choy dish and plan to eat more potatoes.

Sue and Lindsey, great progress on the weight loss. Hope everyone’s week is good :D
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:23 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Mark - It’s so good to hear that you have your pain at a manageable level. You are such a good example of how adherence to the program get results. The trip to San Antonio sounds fun (despite the food challenges while traveling)! Will you be gone long? Are you from Texas? I haven’t been to San Antonio in almost 20 years, but I remember it fondly.

We'll be in San Antonio for a week - it is a fun city! I never lived in Texas, but my mom (and my late father) have lived in San Antonio since about 1997 - my mother joined the US Air Force as a nurse when she was in her mid-forties (!) and San Antonio was where she was stationed, and they continued to live there after retiring. My younger brother lives there, as well; it should be a fun visit.
Mark Cooper

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:48 pm

Erin - Your post brought a smile to my face. It’s all wonderful things. Enjoy the delicious birthday dinner, I’ve had a hankering for chili lately. 13,000 steps is quite impressive. Bok choy is my favorite vegetable, yum!

Mark - My college boyfriend joined the Air Force and did his BMT at Lackland, so the last time I was down there is was for that. That is so cool that your mom joined the military at that age. What a neat life story!

(Edited to fix a typo)
Last edited by Lyndzie on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:56 pm

Weekly reading:

Since you all are seasoned vets, I’m not really sure I have anything to say that you haven’t already heard, so I’m thinking that I’ll just post a weekly article that I’ve dug up from the depths of this website, because anything I come up with is really just something I’ve heard/read Jeff and/or Dr. McDougall say/write.
(Ha ha ha, so many /!!!)

This week’s knowledge nugget: Dr. Lisle’s writing on willpower.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Suey51 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:09 am

Thanks Mark and Lindsey for the recipe links - I'll give them all a try :-)

Erin - great job on the weight loss and on your better eating :)

Thanks Lindsey for the weekly reading link. I haven't read it before and its a great article! Its always good to read/re-read pieces by Dr Lisle, Dr McDougall and Jeff Novick so please do continue sharing links - I still find that there are plenty of videos I haven't watched or posts and recipes that I haven't read on this site! And even those that I have seen, are worth another read/listen as I often spot something that I hadn't seen first time around.

This week, I've started reading The Life We Are Given by George Leonard and Michael Murphy (a book mentioned by Jeff Novick elsewhere on this site) and love this quote:
"Lasting transformation requires long-term practice........those people we consider masters are generally marked by their willingness not only to endure the plateaus of the learning curve but to love the process itself, to find satisfaction in diligent, long-term practice for its own sake as well as for the gains it brings."

I'm a way off being a master McDougaller, but I have learnt to enjoy the process as well as the results!

Best wishes x
Suey51

Postby dlee » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:18 am

Love the Dr lisle article. He makes so much sense. Thanks Lindsey. in spanish vamos a ver! Dlee
dlee

Postby Starchyme » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:19 am

I don't know when I last reported in. But I am a pound down from my goal weight. Happy about that! Hope everyone else is doing well.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Suey51 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:42 am

Yay Starchyme, that's great news :)

Lindsey - sorry forgot to say - great work on avoiding the exceptions and congrats on the weight loss last week and during your 21 day challenge :-)

Today my weight is the same as last Friday and the 7 day average is down 0.7. Yesterday I touched down on goal weight after a few very compliant days, so I'll be aiming to be there next Friday.

Best wishes to all x
Suey51

Postby Starchyme » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:21 am

Suey, great job! I think we are neck in neck with each other. I hope to be another pound down soon and then I'll adjust my goal weight.
:-D
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby victw » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:31 pm

Well I must not have kept up with the notifications because I forgot to post last Friday.
Today I am down a little 132.6.
I love the head chatter. Right away the internal comment was - oh - that must be dehydration. Well it's still not too bad.
I am getting in my veggies and my fruit. I'm just getting some other junk too.

I won't be posting in July till the week after next. I'm off for a backpacking trip for the 4th. It's super weird to turn the calorie density principles upside down and be trying to get max calories and nutrition in as low as weight as possible. And it has to fit into the bear can :)

This is my first multi-night trip. I'm really looking forward to it.
Happy early 4th everyone.
Vicki
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:51 pm

Starchyme - Way to go!

Suey :thumbsup:

Vicki - Have fun backpacking!

This was a bit of a rough week for me, my pain was a bit more severe and I don't really have any clue as to why - I'm hoping it settles back down soon. My eating was on track, following the 10-pt checklist.

Cheers to all and a happy Independence Day to those who celebrate it!
Mark Cooper

Postby Starchyme » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:32 pm

Thanks and happy 4th of July holiday also to you and everyone else. Keep on McDougalling!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

PreviousNext

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories