MAY 2019 Maintenance Group

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: MAY 2019 Maintenance Group

Postby Ejeff » Sat May 11, 2019 7:21 am

Lindsey pizza is something I haven’t made in a few months so I will need to make one soon. I love black olives on pretty much anything. Yesterday I made the zucchini corn fritters from vegan8 with the lemon pepper sauce. They are so tasty...it’s the smoked paprika that really brings a great flavour. Also made the fries from Brand New Vegan where you first boil the spuds for 5 minutes then add the spices before baking. The family really enjoyed them and I have lots of leftovers. I made oat berry bars which are from Jaroudi family on YouTube. They are very easy to make, but I wouldn’t say it’s my favourite sweet treat. I lost 1.5 pounds this week. My goal is to get 13,000 steps in a day and I hit that target. The lunch I enjoy the most and could eat every single day is a big rice bowl which is some brown rice, lots of lettuce, peppers, red onion, any other vegetable. Adding a chopped up date or some mint adds a great twist also. For me it’s about the sauce and I am now addicted to tahini dressing. I just thin it out with lemon juice, water, vinegar and a splash of maple.

Sue, I agree I’m not sure about how to track compliance either. Lately I have found if I just focus on adding more veggies and fruits (as opposed to removing things) I make better progress. I suppose I could at least keep track of how many servings I get each day, but have not done that yet. I can also improve on the snacking. It still seems I have a couple evenings a week where I just eat and eat to beyond being full and then I regret it. I wondered if this happens because I haven’t eaten enough during the day. Will need to pay more attention to figure that one out.

This week I plan to make chickpea patties, I will let you know how they turn out. I have found a local pickleball club so hope to get playing more again this week. It’s my new addiction :D Hope everyone’s week is great.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Plumerias » Sat May 11, 2019 7:42 am

ImHere wrote:Good morning everyone. It’s been a while since I checked in. A lot of changes have occurred. I have retired from my job of 34 years as of April 30th. We sold our home and moved into an RV on April 21st. We are currently traveling in Torrey Utah right now. I am having to adjust my cooking style and weight management. So far have not settled on something that works.
Ejeff-I see you were recently in Bullhead. We will be there next week to visit our oldest son before heading east.

The threads on compliance and Geo’s recent thread in the lounge have me thinking about my own compliance. It has been in flux with all the changes. However I don’t need to beat myself up. Just make changes one at a time to get back to where I want to be.

I always enjoy reading everyone’s updates even when I don’t have time to check in.

Sharon

Um, if I may...... I'm not a participant in this particular support thread, but I just saw this. Congratulations Sharon, on your move! We sold our house ten years ago and moved into our RV. So if there's anything I might be able to help with, give a shout. As you'll learn, connectivity isn't always guaranteed, especially in the mountains, but I'll do my best. I know when we first started out on our mobile retirement journey, others here helped me out. Present time difference between us is 8 hours, if I count correctly, as mobile presently has us in Europe.
Plumerias

Postby Suey51 » Mon May 13, 2019 1:18 am

Lindsey, sorry I forgot to reply to your question. We were in Southern Spain.

Sharon - congrats on retirement and the start of your RV life!

Ejeff- your food sounds lovely. Brown rice and veggies is one of my favourite lunches too. I'll give the tahini dressing a good as it sounds yummy :)

Hope everyone has a good week x
Suey51

Postby Lyndzie » Mon May 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Starchyme - Holding steady is a good place to be! That pound will melt away in due time.

Sue - Math can be a tricky one! Good that you got it figured out so that you can accurately assess where you are.

Sharon - Good to "see" you! Congrats on retiring (on my dad's birthday) and moving into your new home (on my half-birthday). That is such a fun thing to do, driving around and seeing the world. Life's changes can upset established routines and require figuring out a new rhythm. I highly recommend coming to my hometown of Indianapolis in the month of May sometime to see the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I'm not big into racing, but it's our biggest claim to fame, and worth checking out at least once. Also, a new restaurant opened here this weekend that has a couple SOS-free options on the menu, woohoo! Check in whenever you can, it's good to hear from you!

Erin - Those zucchini fritters sound amazing. I had not heard of the Jaroudi Family before, thanks for the tip, I'm always looking for background noise while I wash dishes at night (gosh, that sounds lame!). Excellent loss this week, 1.5 lbs is quite admirable. You make a really good point about focusing on additions instead of subtractions.

Plumerias - Nice to see you, thanks for stopping by! Off topic, my mom just had some new landscaping done and they put in some plumerias. I had not seen them before, and they are quite beautiful!

Thought for the week, which kind of ties into the idea of compliance and adding vs. subtracting, is this thread about the 5% from Jeff (you'll have to scroll down to get to the post, I believe it's the fourth one down). It's easy to see how a bite of this and a piece of that can easily become the majority of one's diet.

Wishing everyone a delicious and nutritious week!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Plumerias » Mon May 13, 2019 11:51 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Plumerias - Nice to see you, thanks for stopping by! Off topic, my mom just had some new landscaping done and they put in some plumerias. I had not seen them before, and they are quite beautiful!

It is my favorite flower from our times in Hawaii. I do so love the smell, as well as all the varieties.
Having a little trouble with European breads, which are so delicious. Showing in the fit of my pants....
Plumerias

Postby Ejeff » Tue May 14, 2019 7:55 am

Thanks Lindsey for posting the link to the 5%, for me it is so important to read these things from time to time to remind myself to stay at a good weight and to eat my fruits and veggies. Jeff mentions the calories in things we should not eat such as oil, eggs, wine. It is not necessarily the calorie density that stops me from consuming them, it’s that I think about what an egg actually is and it seems so disgusting to me that there is no appeal to put that in my mouth anymore. And I used to really like eating eggs. Now I just make tofu scrambles so yummy. As for oil, I have now watched the Esselstyn video so many times where he shouts no oil I almost have it memorized. I still end up consuming some oil when eating out, but try to minimize that as best I can. By understanding why oil is bad for the arteries and blood flow it makes my resolve in avoiding it stronger. Knowing the number of calories is helpful I just like to know the why it’s so bad for you part also. As for wine, well I know it’s not a health elixir or anything, but I have not chosen to give it up completely yet. :D
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Willijan » Tue May 14, 2019 11:03 am

Ejeff wrote:Lindsey, I know how busy it can be with little kids so good for you in trying to clear your plate a bit if you can. I am like you pretty much staying the same weight over the past 6 weeks, but when I look back to beginning of the year this has me down 4 pounds which seems decent. Like you I will just keep on with sticking to the wfpb eating as much as possible. Now that we are back home after 4 months of RV living, I need to establish some new routines again. One thing I am trying is putting a recipe in my calendar that I want to make each Friday. This way I will try at least one new thing a week and make sure to buy the ingredients for it. I’m trying this as I come across so many recipes and yet rarely seem to make them. :D

Hope everyone’s week is good!

PS - One cookie I made recently was from forks over knives, chewy oatmeal cookie. I didn’t have the fresh lemons so added lemon juice instead of zest. They were quite tasty and the lemon seemed to change the taste quite a bit. They are good frozen too. I will be making them again, but will try to make them more “lemony”.

Ejeff,
Can you post the recipe for these cookies? I searched for them on forks over knives, and it said "page not found." Other sources gave an incomplete recipe.
Thanks!
Willijan

Postby Ejeff » Wed May 15, 2019 8:18 am

Ejeff

Postby Suey51 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:22 am

Thanks for sharing the lemon cookies recipe Ejeff! How did the chickpea patties go this week?

Thanks Lindsey for sharing that link to the 5% post. A very useful reminder of how these little tweaks can add up. What's a half birthday?!

It's been a week of two halves which has been reflected on the scales. The second half of the week, I dropped the flour based/processed items (which I think also reduced the amount of salt) and introduced salads for 1-2 meals a day. If I average the 7 daily weight readings, it comes to a 0.2 reduction from last week's number, and if I take today's reading it is a drop of 2.4 pounds! (Assuming I've done the maths correctly of course ;-)) And more importantly, apart from one conscious consumed snack on Sunday evening, there's been no oil - yayyyy!:-)

It's also been interesting to notice that if I eat dinner later, then I tend to snack less in the evenings. Not exactly a surprise as there's less time for it, :lol: However, I noticed that I still thought about a snack and then observed that I wasn't actually feeling peckish and it was quite close to bedtime so I said 'you don't need it Sue". I've also rediscovered that porridge and fresh fruit makes a good mid afternoon or after dinner snack (dessert?) for me. Filling, comforting and yummy. :-D

I'm very grateful to have the support of this thread to help me get my weight within a fairly narrow weight range, and most importantly keep eating the best way for long-term health.

All the best, Sue
Suey51

Postby Starchyme » Fri May 17, 2019 4:51 am

Good morning all. I'm happy to report I'm back to my goal weight and may even have lost a pound. I have to start writing it down. Hope everyone else is doing fine. Enjoy the weekend.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby ImHere » Fri May 17, 2019 7:10 am

Good morning. Congrats to everyone maintaining their weight loss.
Plumerias - thank you for the offer to answer questions. I will reach out to you in the general forum or a PM when the newness wears off and I know what my questions are.
Sue - thanks for the kind wishes. Your ability to travel and maintain your weight has been an inspiration to me.
Lindsay-thanks for keeping up with this forum even when you are busy. We will be in Indiana in July as my daughter and her family live Peru now. We will probably make it to Indianapolis.

I'm not sure what happened to my scale or if weighing would be accurate since we are in different locations from week to week. So I am working on keeping compliance near 95 percent. Packed lunches for hiking for me was sweet potatoes, raw vegetables, oranges then noncompliant chips and salsa. I just need a replacement for the chips to make this meal Fully compliant.
Hope everyone has a good week.
Sharon
ImHere

Postby viv » Fri May 17, 2019 6:31 pm

Hi Everyone! I'm up a couple of pounds mainly because I haven't been dancing very much the last two months. Previously, I was ballroom dancing 3-4 nights a week, but with work being very busy and lesson plans etc to do in the evening (high school teacher) I was too tired to go out once I got home. So now that summer break is near I will be dancing up a storm once more. On the food side of things I'm pretty compliant, although I do eat too much bread; I love Ezekial bread and jam. Also, I have been guilty of sneaking a couple of candies now and then. My school is replete with candies! Classes with perfect attendance get candies, teachers' classrooms are full of candies, the front office has a bowl of candies on the desk, and so it goes.

Have a great week!
Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Lyndzie » Fri May 17, 2019 8:50 pm

Erin - Those cookies are now on my to do list! Thanks for posting.

Sue - Isn't it amazing how quickly the scale can shift with those little dietary tweaks? 2.4 lbs is awesome! Sounds like you put into practices a few different proven successful strategies and it's showing up big time. (Also, a half-birthday is 6 months past your birthday. I believe it's mentioned in the movie Alice and Wonderland.)

Starchyme - Wow! You really shed that extra holiday weight quickly!! Hope you have a great weekend as well.

Sharon - Feel free to check in if you find that helpful, even without a scale. How clothing fits is a pretty good indicator of whether your food choices need adjusting. I co-host a monthly WFPB pitch in, I'll PM you details in case you are in the area at that time, we'd love for you (and anyone else) to come!

Viv - Enjoy summer break! When is your last day of the semester? Also, what kind of jam do you put on Ezekiel bread? I've been playing around with bread making here and hearty whole wheat breads definitely require a stronger flavored topping than a mild white bread. Hopefully summer break will give you a break form all those candies, too. Treats are hiding everywhere!

As for me, I am holding steady. I've come up with a game plan for getting off the extra couple pounds that are hanging around, but will be out of town for my sister's wedding, so dietary tweaks are on hold until I get back and that is no longer on my plate. As I mentioned, I've been making some homemade breads this week, a dozen bagels and a couple loaves of whole wheat bread. I'd like a sandwich to take on the go this summer with hummus, tomato, cucumber and lettuce, and had been using baguettes, but would like something heartier. Hoping you all have a wonderful weekend!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ejeff » Sat May 18, 2019 6:58 am

Sue, I didn’t make the chickpea patties yet...wondering if my planning is failing already lol. I will make them this week! And I will let you know how they turn out. I ended up making salad rolls which were very tasty with a peanut sauce. They are not so good left over though as the rice wrapper gets a bit hard. Up a pound this week. I need to get some groceries as we are out of potatoes. I’m having a craving for chunky air fried taters soon. Hope everyone’s week is good.
Ejeff

Postby Suey51 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:39 am

Lindsey - thanks for explaining a half-birthday! Has your sister's wedding taken place yet?

Sharon - thanks! I must admit it's an awful lot easier when we stay in places with a kitchen :-D As an alternative to chips, I sometimes bake some sliced up pitta breads. Cut them through the middle so they are even thinner and then into scoop sized pieces and then lay out on a baking sheet in the oven. When cool, keep in an airtight box and they keep well for a few days. You can add some salt-free seasoning before baking if you like.

Erin - after you mentioned it recently, I made a tahini lemon dressing yesterday and really enjoyed it. Had it with some salad, including bulgur with roasted veggies and chickpeas. Fancied a change from tabbouleh and this worked really well :D

Overall it's been a lovely week, with a good amount of exercise; some gardening, lots of walking and several mind/body exercise classes. I've joined a new Tai Chi class run by a friend and love it :-) It's at 6 pm so I walk there and back and have dinner afterwards which helps prevent after-dinner snacking.

Today my weight is up 0.8 pounds but the seven day average is down 0.2 pounds from last week's average, so overall it's heading in the right direction. I've been recording what I eat (foods but not quantities) for the past three weeks which helps me reflect on why my weight fluctuates! Some learning opportunities this week (as always!) about what triggers off-plan eating, particularly in the area of emotions. More work to be done in that area!

How's everyone else's week been?

Best wishes, Sue x
Suey51

PreviousNext

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories