MAY 2019 Maintenance Group

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: MAY 2019 Maintenance Group

Postby Lyndzie » Fri May 24, 2019 7:20 am

Hi all. I’m in New York City and my sister’s wedding is tonight. I’ll give a more thorough post when I have a minute and a fully charged phone. Was down 1/2 lb before we flew it. “Chat” soon!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Starchyme » Fri May 24, 2019 9:44 am

Hi, all. I'm still one pound up from my goal. I have no plans to eat with anyone during the holiday weekend and am sticking to myself as much as possible. By next weigh in pound be gone! I can do it! Happy Memorial Day for whoever celebrates it.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Ejeff » Sat May 25, 2019 10:30 am

Sue
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Ejeff » Sat May 25, 2019 10:43 am

Oops, that was a short post!
Sue, I’m glad you enjoyed the tahini dressing and Lindsey I hope the wedding is very fun for you! I did make the chickpea patties and they are very easy to make. They do take 40 minutes to bake, but they come out nice and crispy. On my to make list is an artichoke dip and it would be nice to top the patties with that. This week, I also made a cheese sauce as I was having a big craving for mac and no cheese. Made another batch of tzatziki, but this time with white beans instead of cashews. Still tasty but the texture is different. Was still very nice to use as a veggie dip or to top a potato. Made the Well Your World banana bread. I double the recipe so it makes 2 loaves. Gave some to my sister and she enjoyed it and she eats SAD so I always like those comments. His recipe is good because there is no sugar or added fat. Week was good overall hit my exercise goals and eating wasn’t too bad. Down about half a pound, but when I looked back I also notice since the start of the year my body fat % has dropped about 3%. This is a real achievement for me as it hasn’t budged in quite some time. This week I will plan to make buckwheat pancakes and artichoke dip. Hope everyone has a good week!
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Lyndzie » Wed May 29, 2019 5:43 am

Sue - Tai Chi looks so great! We stayed in Chinatown in NYC and saw people doing Tai Chi in the park every morning. What a lovely way to start (or end!) the day. Your self-reflection is an excellent way to see small places for improvement. Excellent work maintaining a fairly consistent weight. Love your Star McDougaller article!

Starchyme - Happy Memorial Day to you, too! We laid low here also. Your consistency is to be admired.

Erin - Artichoke dip sounds superb! I just saw a recipe from FoK for one. We have a ton of over-ripe bananas, I might have to try out the WYW banana bread, especially if it passes the SAD test. Excellent work on the body fat percent. Those achievements are so motivating, keep it up!

I am down 1.2 lbs in total the past week, which is just mind-boggling in light of the fact that food was provided or restaurants chosen while we were out of town. The amount of walking we did in the city was so much more than we do usually. The wedding was lovely, and their "how we met" story made it into the New York Time's wedding section.

As mentioned above, did you guys see Sue's Star McDougaller story? I am always so inspired by the challenges people have overcome. Her health just radiates in her after photo.

The next check in is on Friday, May 31st, but no worries if you don't touch base until Saturday, which is June 1st. Either stop by here or the new thread. Best to you all!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Starchyme » Wed May 29, 2019 6:05 am

Sue, I am so struck by your Star McDougaller article also. You are quite an inspiration. Wishing you continued success.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Suey51 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:49 am

Lindsey – top job on your weight being down over the wedding weekend! Glad the wedding went well and love their ‘how we met’ story and photo :-D I’m very much enjoying the Tai Chi. It’s a beautiful way to move and engages the brain as well. I have to be ‘in the moment’ to get the moves right so there’s no space to worry about past or future. At yesterday’s class there was some excitement as two of the group’s offspring had just announced their engagement to each other! A couple of others (including me) were feeling tired. At the start, the teacher said she hoped the class would bring calm and energy to each of us, as needed. Lo and behold it did!

Erin – I made the Well Your World banana bread this week. It was very yummy, particularly spread with a little jam. I still find flour-based items a little too tempting so will keep it for an occasional treat! Your posts here are inspiring me to try out some new recipes! This week I made a black beans and rice dish which was a loose adaptation of a McDougall one. I added lots of spices and chilli so it would appeal to my husband and he enjoyed it. This week I’m going to try making falafels.

Starchyme/Lindsey – thanks for your kind words :) You guys are an inspiration to me too! Its an honour to be included as a Star McDougaller. I’ve used the story as a way of ‘coming out’ about McDougalling on Facebook in the hope it might help someone in my network. Obv, close friends and people I see often know about it but I hadn't spoken about it more widely. The reaction's been good and a couple of people have asked follow-up questions :)

This morning the scales are down by a pound or by 0.8 if I compare the 7 day averages – woo hoo! It's around one pound over my goal weight.

Best wishes to everyone!
Suey51

Postby sirdle » Fri May 31, 2019 6:32 am

Suey51 wrote:I’m very much enjoying the Tai Chi. It’s a beautiful way to move and engages the brain as well. I have to be ‘in the moment’ to get the moves right so there’s no space to worry about past or future... At the start, the teacher said she hoped the class would bring calm and energy to each of us, as needed. Lo and behold it did!

I'm starting Tai Chi, too. I often hear it described as 'moving meditation', and it is! It seems to me that Tai Chi is more about 'where your head is' than about getting the moves exactly right. It's almost like getting the moves right is a metaphor for getting your head where it needs to be... rather than the other way around. Does that make any sense?

Balance and harmony! :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Lyndzie » Fri May 31, 2019 6:41 am

Hi everyone! I am back up a bit in weight now that I am home. I’m working on getting in more walking, because the trip to NYC made it apparent how little we actually do around here.

Sue - Excellent work! 1 lb in a week is impressive.

Sirdle - Hi! Thanks for stopping by!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Starchyme » Fri May 31, 2019 6:55 am

Great going everyone! I lost a pound and have .8 to go till I get back to my goal weight. Rooting on next week's report. Wishing all a spectacular McDougall weekend.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Ejeff » Fri May 31, 2019 8:10 am

Sue glad you enjoyed the banana bread and I agree it should be more of a treat as opposed to a regular everyday food. Glad I am inspiring you a bit, your success story is so wonderful you and all others inspire me to just keep on keeping on. This week I made the falafels again with the spicy sauce. It’s such a an easy recipe. The artichoke dip was just so so, but I want to try putting it into a sandwich and grill it up. Maybe later today I will do that. I am making another “dessert” it’s just oats, banana, milk, cocoa and shredded wheat. You freeze them and then thaw in fridge before eating. Texture of food is very important to me so I will be interested to see how these are. My hubby cooked up a large batch of mashed potatoes with some green pepper, rutabaga, and carrots. That’s was tasty this week also. We bought corn in the cob so I will make the butter I have made in the past. It’s from Cooking With Plants and it’s cauliflower puréed with some psyllium husk. I’ve made it before and it’s the closest thing to butter I have found with no fat. I don’t ever buy store vegan butters or mayos as I do try to avoid oils. We had veggie dogs one day for lunch, not very healthy and man I felt so tired after. Almost needed an afternoon nap, and I never nap! Just reinforces to me how whole foods make all the difference. Weigh in day tomorrow so will check in. Have a great Friday everyone :-D
Ejeff

Postby Lyndzie » Fri May 31, 2019 10:35 pm

Strachyme - What a successful week! Congrats!!

Erin - Did the "butter" do well on warm corn? I've had it before (someone brought it to a pitch in), and was thinking of making it to put on toast in the morning. I saw that Jane and Ann Esselstyn made carrot dogs recently, though when I have attempted it in the past it was very apparent that I had just put a cooked carrot in a bun.

Here is the link to the June Maintenance Thread.

Best to everyone!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ejeff » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:03 am

Lost about half a pound this week. I made those snacks with the shredded wheat. I think they required more oats as once defrosted they are too soggy to pick up lol. But they taste ok when eaten with a fork. I quite like the shredded wheat in them a nice change from just oats. Lindsey, I made the butter, but haven’t tried it on the corn yet. I did have some on bread yesterday and it was tasty. It’s the salt that makes it taste good and I guess that makes sense as butter is quite salty from what I can recall. I cooked up some farro. I cooked it the same as I do my brown rice, just like pasta and then drain the excess water. I wonder if I am losing nutrients that way, I will have to research that. Anyway, it was very nice in my salad, a good change from brown rice.
Ejeff

Postby Starchyme » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:07 am

All sounds good and I'll have to try it. I love farro. I'm interested in the butter and shredded wheat recipes. Are they Mary's recipes?
Thanks.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Ejeff » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:46 am

Ejeff

PreviousNext

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories