MARCH 2019 Maintenance Thread

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

MARCH 2019 Maintenance Thread

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:14 pm

Hi everyone! It's another month with a couple fun holidays to look forwards to. Mardi Gras is coming up next week, then shortly thereafter St. Patrick's Day. I've got a vacation and wedding to navigate. It's times like this that those often talked about habits are so important.

And, side note, have you actually read through all of Jeff's Greetings & Hot Topics? It's a great place to start when you want to read a bit. One of my favorite topics is the 10 Secrets to Success. The one that is really resonating with me right now is #5:

5) BE PERSISTENT AND WORK HARD: Success is a marathon, not a
sprint. Never give up.

Like in all things, there will be some setbacks on the road to
health, and some difficult times ahead. This IS part of the
process. Relapse/setbacks do not equal failure, they are part
of the process of change (and success) that we all go through.
You will also encounter some obstacles. There are not there
as a sign for you to quit, but as a challenge to strengthen
your commitment to reaching your goals.

I've been working on getting much better about compliance (less feast days), and haven't set any specific goals because I don't want to fall into the ego trap, but am just taking each day as it comes and setting myself up for success for that day. I use a habit app on my phone, a separate reminder for the app (because I'll forget), and chart my weight. While some people seem to be able to pick up habits quite quickly without much effort, breaking the cheese addiction has been difficult for me and requires some diligence.

What is your key to success? How do/did you get healthy eating to be a habit?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: MARCH 2019 Maintenance Thread

Postby Suey51 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:32 am

Hi everyone!

Weight is down another 0.8 today so I'm a little over 2 pounds above my goal weight. Today marks my one year anniversary of weight maintenance - woo hoo! Was hoping to be back at goal weight for today, but have reminded myself it's not a race to a finish line, its just one day in my McDougall life. If I continue to adhere closely to the program, the weight will adjust itself and the future will be healthier. Today, I'm healthy and full of energy so am hugely grateful and happy with that :D

Lindsey - thanks for sharing Jeff's post 10 Secrets to Success, I hadn't seen it before. I agree with you on the importance of persistence and if I had to pick out one of the other secrets I'd go for this one:

3) TAKE ACTION: Goals are nothing without action. Don't be afraid to get started now. Just do it. There is no better time to get started then right now..... Begin to improve your eating habits today and get started on your new exercise program. Tomorrow never comes.

Hope you have a fun time at the upcoming holidays and celebrations!

I'm excited to be joining the March 3 Day Intensive Program a week today! Looking forward to hearing/seeing the speakers 'in the flesh' for the first time, meeting other people who eat this way and tasting all the yummy food! Hoping that this intense immersion in the program will reinforce all the many reasons that I have chosen this way of eating and help me improve my long-term adherence :)

Best wishes, Sue x
Suey51

Postby Starchyme » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:33 am

Hello all. I lost a pound last week and am back down to my goal weight! :-D Wishing everyone continued success. Happy weekend!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby sirdle » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:05 am

Lyndzie -- do you have a link to what the "ego trap" is? Video? Lecture? I looked at Doug Lisle's website, but didn't find anything. (I did see a lecture called "Two Reasons We Procrastinate" that looked interesting, but decided to listen to it later.)
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Ejeff » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:51 am

Hello. Up 2 pounds this week, back and forth haha. Still focused on long term goals so not too concerned. Night time eating has been too frequent will work on that for the next week. :D
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:07 pm

Erin - those silly pounds. Sounds like you have a good area to focus in on for this month.

Sirdle - I think this is the video about the Ego Trap (I’m going to watch this later this evening and double check). It’s essentially the idea of not letting perfection get in the way of your efforts.

Starchyme - Yay you! I commented in the Feb thread also, so Yay again!!

Sue - Have so much fun at the 3-day weekend. It’s one of my goals to attend one. It would be so exciting to have a buffet of all compliant foods to eat! And to get to meet our favorite people, too? So much fun. That must be quite a flight for you (it’s a distance from me, and I don’t have to cross an ocean). Travel safely and let us know how it is.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby sirdle » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:10 am

Thanks Lyndzie!

That was a very good interview!

Cheers,
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:29 pm

Hi everyone!

Amy posted the most amazing pictures over in the MWL thread of her weekly meal prep! While I am nowhere near as organized or prepared, I do a weekly meal schedule, with certain meals in certain days. For instance, this week we’re having:

Mon: red beans and rice
Tues: dinner at grandma’s
Wed: Taco Tuesday on a Wednesday
Thurs: sushi night
Fri: pizza night

We also keep homemade hummus and whole wheat pita, apples, clementines and assorted microwaveable frozen veggies on hand. I’ll make rice on Monday and Thursday, with leftovers to reheat for a quick lunch. Most grocery shopping happens on Friday, with a couple quick trips as needed during the week.

I have found (which is no surprise, really), that the old adage fail to plan, plan to fail is so true, especially when avoiding the convenience foods that are so often available.

What are you guys having this week? How do you plan for success?
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:14 am

Happy Friday everyone!

I’m at 114 today, which is up 1.5 lbs from yesterday. We have sushi night on Thursdays, so my guess is just water weight from miso soup and soy sauce. This past week I’ve been focusing on reducing the amount of nuts I’ve been eating. You’d think I’m a squirrel the way I’ve been going through them. Specifically, making cocoa balls, which are just a calorie bomb of dates, walnuts and dry oats. Delicious, no doubt, but too rich (and costly - dates and nuts are not a cheap habit!).

Looking forward to hearing everyone’s updates.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Starchyme » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:26 pm

I also was up 1 lb this week. :eek: It'll be gone by next weigh-in. Count on it!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby victw » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:45 pm

I was at 132.8 this morning. I think it wasn't accurate because I'm a little dehydrated. Yesterday work was engaging and I'm sure I did not drink enough water. I might have to bring one of those measured containers so I know I'm drinking enough.

Habits are off - I'm taking a class through the Sierra club. We went car camping a few weeks ago and will go back packing next weekend. I will be carrying extra weight so that I have fresh veggies.

I usually do meal prep on the weekends - so these weekend trips throw me off. I need a few more back ups. And a few more frozen options.

We have a request to bring something shareable at happy hour for our backpack trip. I'm a little stuck.

I'm thinking I might need a buddy here - to ping each other when we haven't checked in for a while.

Vicki
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Suey51 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:24 am

Hi everyone.
I’m super excited to be at my first McDougall event In California! It’s great to meet other McDougallers in person after following this way of eating for nearly two years :-D

Yesterday I met up with Amy (amandamechele))and did some sightseeing before the program started. I haven’t had chance to load any photos to Flickr yet but Amy’s shared some here.

Will check in regarding my weight when I’m back home next week.

Sue x
Suey51

Postby Ejeff » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:11 am

Good for you Sue, so nice you can be at the event. Down 1 pound this week. Been super busy watching tennis in Indio, but doing my best to bring compliant food. There are some non SAD options at the food concessions, but lines are long and prices are high.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Starchyme - Awesome attitude!

Vicki - Good luck on camping. It sounds like fun! I don’t have any personal experience camping, but have you looked into the dehydrated foods? I only mention this because they would be light in your bag, just add water and enjoy. When you mention a buddy, are you looking for someone for one-on-one accountability, or is there something this thread could offer? Suggestions are always welcome!

Sue - I saw some of the photos that Amy posted. You look absolutely radiant! Travel safely and enjoy the food and people.

Erin - Well done on dropping that extra pound. Are you watching the tennis open? Sporting events can be tricky to navigate. Excellent idea to plan ahead and BYO compliant food.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:44 pm

Happy (almost) Monday!

This past week board member foodie posted some helpful links for a relatively new person who was having a hard moment. Many of us have gone down a long road to get where we are, and “fallen off the horse,” so to speak, a time or two. Even with following this WOE for a few years at this point, I found these videos to be a good.

f00die wrote:ill post this very useful advice again
seems you have yet put it into practice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STHoPKQxbko
best advice ive found for those having a hard time
getting the program going
and this one
https://youtu.be/nSXAdJRdc8g?t=1350

I learn so much on this website. Not only do we have extremely knowledgeable professional guidance, but our community is truly supportive and generous with their opinions. Wishing everyone a wonderful week!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories