MARCH 2019 Maintenance Thread

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: MARCH 2019 Maintenance Thread

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:44 pm

Sue - Salt is such a tricky thing! Definitely an area I could improve upon as well. It’s great that you can accurately assess your situation and take action to change it.

Starchyme - Awesome success this week! You are so close to the finish line!!

Erin - You’re rocking it, too! Don’t sweat the number, just keep on plan and the stubborn spots will all work out.

Geo - It’s so great that you get to stay on your feet with your new responsibilities. Jobs that keep you moving are so good for you.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi guys. I just got back from a week of too many people staying in an extremely large house. There are so many aspects to traveling that can be challenging, and a few links came to mind:

What’s a Non-Expert To Do? My uncle recently underwent a quintuple bypass, and is dealing with crippling arthritis. He couldn’t even make it to his brother’s wedding due to his poor health. As hard as it is see loved ones suffer, there isn’t much that a non-expert (or even an expert!) can do.

Dining Out When You Must (third video down). This is a great video for those times when you are at a restaurant and need to make the best of the situation, especially when you don’t have a say in the location.

The Myth of Moderation It can be easy to make multiple exceptions that end up being the majority of your eating. It’s death by a thousand paper cuts.

While traveling was exciting, I am glad to be home and back in my own kitchen. Best to everyone!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Suey51 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:12 am

Welcome home Lindsey!

So sorry to hear about your uncle's poor health. Thanks for sharing those links - all very helpful :)

What are you making in the home kitchen this week?

All the best to you xx
Suey51

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:17 pm

Thanks, Sue. I’m sure glad to be home!

Speaking of home...my husband renovated our new house (that’s his line of work), but he hasn’t finished the kitchen countertops and kitchen sink yet, so I have no where to prepare food or wash dishes. I’m getting ready to head to the store to get microwaveable rice and steam-in-bag veggies, and frozen vegan pizza for the rest of the gang. Fingers crossed for a functioning kitchen tomorrow, I’d like a proper home cooked meal!

What are you cooking this week?
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:36 am

Good morning everyone! I am doing surprisingly well considering the food challenges I faced while on vacation, plus the whole no-kitchen thing I’m dealing with (sink is still not in!!). More microwaveable rice and steam-in-bag veggies for me.

How is everyone else doing? What’s on the menu this weekend?
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Starchyme » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:34 am

I didn't weigh in this morning. I'll do it early tomorrow and post a note before the deadline. I did well with my food choices so I'm hoping I'll be back to my goal weight. Wishing everyone much success.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Suey51 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:47 am

Hi everyone!
We're away from home scales at the moment so won't officially weigh-in until we're back home. I think my weight is a little up on last week due to some higher calorie density snacks between meals and more salt.

Lindsey - how's the kitchen going? I can imagine you're keen to get back to home cooked food! What's you first meal going to be?

Last week we were mostly having salads for lunch - I made a big batch of tabbouleh and we had this over several days - with leftovers from the previous day's dinner. For dinner we made two potato vindaloo; lentil dal; minestrone soup; roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes, cauliflower and beetroot; lentils with rosemary; cannelini bean stew; brown rice and plenty of mixed leafy greens. We found a local organic farm shop which has loads of beautiful fruit, veg, jars of pulses and even some dried sliced tomatoes! We were planning to eat out tonight as we found a Nepalese/Indian restaurant that agreed to do me a no-oil vegan dish, but we are enjoying our home-cooked food (and have lots of leftovers in the fridge!) that we'll most likely eat in again.

Best wishes xx
Suey51

Postby Starchyme » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:06 am

Amending my stats for yesterday because I hadn't weighed in before I ate. I am back to my goal weight & never to stray again! Been binge watching McDougall's and Jeffrey's talks and webinars. Also watched the fantastic talk by Dr. McDougall on "The Real Truth About Weight Loss. His words are firmly planted in my head!

Wishing everyone a happy beginning of Spring. May we all have a very healthy & positive month coming up.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Ejeff » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:11 am

My decision to eat nothing processed this week has produced results. Down 3.6 pounds this week. Also had a bit of stomach upset so had one day of eating very little which might have helped. I am at a weight I haven’t seen in one year. I track this in MyFitnessPal and I do find it interesting to be able to go way back in time to see how weight fluctuates. This week I ate very simply some sweet potatoes topped with corn and salsa, air fried potatoes and lots of salads with some Farro. I hadn’t made Farro before, but I quite enjoyed it. One of my favourite treats is the peanuty sweet potatoe. It’s just mashed sweet potato mixed with cinnamon, applesauce, peanut butter and raisins. If you don’t use too much peanut butter it is quite healthy. Heated up is my favourite way to eat it. The raisins get so nice and soft, if you have never tried it you should! Yesterday was not a good eating day, ate out with some others and made a bad choice pasta with a dairy sauce. Felt not great all day, so of course then I just question why I do these things. Must get better at eating out with others. Tonight going out again so I will make a better choice. Plan for this week is to keep eating nice and clean. I have also realized that I do have a tendency to just keep eating even when I’m full. I think I could get much better at stopping sooner so will keep focusing more on eating slower and being more mindful. I find when I focus on my food I enjoy it so much more and really appreciate how great it tastes. We will move to our next spot for the month of April before we head home in May. Hope everyone has a great week! :-D
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:03 pm

Sue - Enjoy your trip! You seem to be quite the globetrotter, and manage eating on the go very well. Tabbouleh sounds delicious! Please share the recipe - when I've tried to make it oil-free it seems to be lacking in some way that I can't quite put my finger on. Your list of meals sounds so good, I am so looking forward to rolling up my sleeves and breaking in the kitchen. My husband is wiring the garbage disposal as I type, and tomorrow I'm hoping to cook up a big batch of black beans and rice for taco bowls for dinner.

Starchyme - YOU DID IT!! Gosh, if weight could just stay exactly where we want it and never vary, that would be ideal. Isn't it fun to watch all those lectures? I haven't had a chance to see the new interview that Dr. McDougall did with Andrew Taylor yet. Did you watch it? I've been really enjoying the new webinar format and getting to hear Dr. McDougall ask the questions of people he has known for years.

Erin - That is awesome success for a single week! When you say "nothing processed," did you make everything from scratch? Or did you include store-bought items like marinara or salsa? Bummer to hear about the tummy troubles. I track my weight, too (in Cronometer). Does MyFitnessPal graph it for you? How did you cook the farro? I made some in the Instant Pot yesterday and it was overcooked and mushy, not that nice chewy texture.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:40 pm

Please join next month's thread here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=59498#p599298
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach