FEBRUARY 2019 Maintenance Group

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

FEBRUARY 2019 Maintenance Group

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:06 am

Doug Lisle is the best! Don't you love his talks and webinars? The first one I watched was How to Lose Weight without Losing Your Mind, and I regularly recommend it to people (when they ask) about what I do to stay lean.

One of my favorites is The Perfect Personality. I always wondered why eating broccoli and sweet potatoes three meals a day seemed like a form of torture. How could anyone be happy with that?! I read so many people who are successful on the boards espouse the simplicity of this diet, yet when I tried to follow that path I ended up wandering off into dangerous places.

Wishing everyone a great month!
Lindsey
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: FEBRUARY 2019 Maintenance Group

Postby Starchyme » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:03 am

Thanks for cluing me in, Lyndzie. Yes, I agree the month of January flew by. So, I'm starting this month at 116.4, 1.4 lbs higher than my goal which is 115. I am to have it off by the end of February.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby victw » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:12 am

Weight was a little low yesterday. I have a house guest and a cold. Habits are off. Have not been eating enough veggies or fruit.

Looking forward to getting back into the groove next week.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi Starchyme! Love your goal. Totally doable.

Hello Vic. Bummer to hear you aren’t feeling well. Hopefully the house guest is fun!

For me, my weight is still higher than I’d like. There seems to be feast days every single week around here, ugh. People seems to have a reason to eat junk constantly, and it’s tiresome. Here’s to a better week with no more birthdays to celebrate!

For those who are stateside, tomorrow is The Big Game. I am making my annual batch of buffalo cauliflower. Enjoy responsibly!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Suey51 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:21 pm

Lindsey - agree with you and love those two Dr Lisle videos!

We’re travelling back home today so I’ll weigh in here next Friday.

Best wishes, Sue x
Suey51

Postby viv » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:38 am

Hi Lyndzie and Friends,

I'm up a couple of pounds. I attribute it to the fact that it's been ridiculously cold here on the east coast and school has been closed so I have been at home eating lots of potatoes and porridge! And bananas, I love bananas! Also I have not been going to my dance classes as they have been cancelled due to icy roads.

So now that all my excuses are out of the way I can get back to Jeff's calorie density chart which I have posted on the fridge. Well actually I have been eating low calorie density but just too much. So it's back to normal now that the weather has warmed up. Today I'm going to a Superbowl party, wooo hooooo! I'll eat a couple of potatoes before I go and I'll enjoy a glass of wine and some compliant bits and pieces at the party.

Oh btw I haven't seen the Perfect Personality, I look forward to seeing it. I love YouTube!

Have a great week,
Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:03 am

Sue - safe travels home! I look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

Viv - we had the polar vortex here, too. Lots of comfort foods happening here amidst the life threatening weather conditions. Stay warm!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby ImHere » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:06 am

Checking in. Sounds like everyone is doing well. I actually weigh everyday. I would forget for weeks on end if it was weekly. I adjust my calorie density daily if my weight is trending up from my base. Ie take an apple instead of potatoes for my snack. Hope everyone enjoys their Super Bowl parties and sticks to their eating plan. I have chili cooking and will make rice to go with it. Sharon
ImHere

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi Sharon. I weigh almost daily, too. I love how you use it to make better food choices. So many people struggle with how the number on the scale impacts them, and it can turn into an excuse to celebrate or commiserate with food. Your example is a great way to use those numbers to empower yourself for success.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:15 pm

I feel a little at a loss for what to write for you guys. It's preaching to the choir, you know? If you are anything like me (which I am assuming you are), then you've read the posts, you've watched the webinars, what more is there for me to say that an actual expert hasn't already covered?

So, yesterday my central library hosted a screening of the new film code blue. It's similar to Forks Over Knives, another pro-plant documentary to watch and reinforce Dr. McDougall's recommendations. I jokingly refer to this stuff as my vegan propaganda.

But, this isn't about the movie. It's about the handout on the table outside the doors to the auditorium.

That's right, IT'S JEFF'S CALORIE DENSITY CHART!!

Copyright 1998, this thing has stood the test of time and is still relevant 20 years later, and will now be a feature of my refrigerator, along with various kid's drawings and family photos.

There is one thing from the movie that I did want to share with you:

Dr Esselstyn was featured a few times (and recently interviewed by Dr. McDougall), and brought up this quote. Witnessing someone have a heart attack ended up introducing me to a plant-based diet, and while The Starch Solution gave me the instructions on how to do it, Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease was my starting point, so Dr. E always grabs my attention when he speaks.

While we always have another movie to watch, or podcast to listen to, or article to read, people have known how to live for thousands of years. Eat food, exercise, stress-management and community. So this week, do your best to nourish yourself both physically and emotionally (and, if you were in the area affected by the polar vortex, try to get some much needed sunshine, too!).

Best to you all!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ejeff » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:22 am

Thanks for that proverb Lindsey I’ve not seen that before and really like it. My weight was pretty much the same this week, eating out choices can still be much better. French fries need to get off my list as I know the oil is not good for my health. I am very fortunate to be away from the cold so can stay active, weather is not an excuse for me. Hope the week is good for everyone!
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:12 pm

Hi everyone! I’m going to check in tonight because my Friday is going to be busy from dawn til dusk. This morning I weighed in 3 pounds lower than last Friday, so I’m st 112 lbs. My weight has been bouncing up and down like a ping pong ball since the holidays. I have definitely been eating less nuts/seeds and more MWL-style meals, not intentionally, just because of ease of preparation.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Suey51 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:12 am

Hi everyone!

Back from my travels and weight today is up 1.5 pounds since last weigh-in here on 5th Jan, so 4 pounds above my goal weight. After a month of eating in restaurants and cafes, I'm not surprised by the gain and am determined to get back to my goal weight. In some places, I was able to get boiled potatoes, plain white rice, boiled veggies, plain rice etc. but found it hard to resist all the veggie curries which are cooked with oil. For the next month, we'll be mostly eating at home and aiming for close adherence to the regular McDougall Program. If the weight doesn't come off I'll move to the MWLP. I missed jacket potatoes, brown rice, leafy greens and winter root veg soups so have been enjoying those this week while adjusting to the 5.5 hour time difference and 30 degree temperature drop!

Thanks Lindsey for reminding me about those two Doug Lisle videos, I've watched them both this week and about to start on Dr McDougall's interview with Dr Esselstyn. And thanks for sharing that proverb, I've not come across it before and really like it. How great that your library hosted a screening of Code Blue. I'm intrigued to know how that came about - who chooses the films? And congrats on your loss this week!

Sue x
Suey51

Postby Starchyme » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:15 am

Happy Friday. I'm particularly joyous because I can't find one of my pounds and I'm not even going to hunt for it. :-D Wishing everyone much success this coming week.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby geo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:15 pm

Hey Everyone! Its Friday and all is well...weight is stable, health is great (despite the dry/itchy skin issues)...it was really cold and windy yet again.

Today was special for me. Firstly, I interviewed for another position in my company (a promotion :-)) There's a back story to this that I can't talk about right now but if all works out I'll be very, very happy... at any rate, the interviewing went well I think :nod: And second, we did our taxes and someone upstairs is looking out for us...a nice big refund for both State and Federal...very much needed in my effort to stop drowning and just stay afloat...

And Valentines is almost here, hopefully you all will be able to spend plenty of time with your SO doing what comes natural...yes of course McDougalling :lol: ...yeah and that other stuff too :wink:
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories