66 year old 7 time Ironman triathlete before & after photos

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

66 year old 7 time Ironman triathlete before & after photos

Postby hbmurphyjr » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:00 pm

My deepest thanks to two of my biggest heroes: Jeff Novick, RD and John McDougall, MD.

In 2011, after family members had multiple cancer and heart issues, we discovered McDougall. One of our family attended a ten day program, we bought every one of Jeff and John's video's and books, and we all recovered from a severe bout of food poisoning. We heard Jeff speak at a Whole Food lecture in Princeton and chatted with him afterwards. Terrific. We hope to eventually get us all to a McDougall vacation so we can meet John and Mary in person.

Some recent blood work and vitals (December 2018):
Height..............................6'0"
Weight.............................151
Total cholesterol........151 (NOT a typo)

I did my last full distance Ironman race in September of 2018, number seven for me, on about two to three hours of moderate training per day with a nine week buildup to that level.

That's considered pretty minimal training, but, as Dr. McD would say, "It's the food!"

And as for the execution, we follow Jeff's SNAP plan. The wife and I both work and do these Ironmans and other sports and endurance events together, so time is tight, and Jeff's meal plan is perfect for busy folks. As Jeff would say "Get a life!"

Thanks again.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4862/4583 ... 504c_m.jpg
Last edited by hbmurphyjr on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbmurphyjr

Re: 66 year old 7 time Irnman triathlete before & after phot

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:16 pm

That is AMAZING! Congrats on your great success.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Drew_ab » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:32 pm

Congrats on two things. First, great work on taking control of your health. Second, great work on finishing your 7th Ironman. I have no doubt the venture was easier when powered by plants. Out of curiosity, what was your finish time? Your photos show a great transformation.
Drew_ab

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:01 am

What an awesome achievement! Very inspiring, thank you so much for sharing your success story!
Mark Cooper

Postby pundit999 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:55 am

Wow!
Congrats on your great success.
Thanks for sharing.
pundit999

Postby viv » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Many congratulations to your and your wife. You look fantastic and you radiate health and well-being. You are a wonderful ambassador for the McDougall Plant based lifestyle.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby hbmurphyjr » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:37 pm

viv wrote:Many congratulations to your and your wife. You look fantastic and you radiate health and well-being. You are a wonderful ambassador for the McDougall Plant based lifestyle.

Viv

Thank you, and my congratulations to you, as well. Since 2013. Terrific.
hbmurphyjr

Re: 66 year old 7 time Ironman triathlete before & after pho

Postby Atheria » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:03 am

Great job! Woot!

Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Re: 66 year old 7 time Ironman triathlete before & after pho

Postby determined2bhealthy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:37 am

Congratulations to you and your wife! You truly are the Dynamic Duo. :D
determined2bhealthy

Postby hbmurphyjr » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:02 am

Pardon the delayed response. This Newbie could not figure our how to reply. My times from age 55 on have ranged from 13:40 on the fast, flat AZ and FL courses to 15:30 the year I foolishly collapsed from heat exhaustion on a burning hot day on a mountainous course. Are you an endurance athlete? Thinking of becoming one? PS We also did a 50 mile trail run (well, mostly speed walk) a few years ago Thin helps for sure on that!
hbmurphyjr

Postby Drew_ab » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:59 pm

hbmurphyjr wrote:Pardon the delayed response. This Newbie could not figure our how to reply. My times from age 55 on have ranged from 13:40 on the fast, flat AZ and FL courses to 15:30 the year I foolishly collapsed from heat exhaustion on a burning hot day on a mountainous course. Are you an endurance athlete? Thinking of becoming one? PS We also did a 50 mile trail run (well, mostly speed walk) a few years ago Thin helps for sure on that!

Those are some pretty solid times I bet you're proud of. I am an intermittent endurance athlete (maybe one race per year with 6-9 months of easy training). I always move (says 6 days a week of swim/bike/run/yoga/weights) for about 40 minutes. Occasionally I'll train specifically for an event. I've got a 42min 10km and 1:15 sprint triathlon under my belt amongst a variety of other races. The sprint training had me averaging 75 min daily on average. This year I'm planning on actually volunteering for some events rather than consuming all the volunteer hours that go into putting them on. I've looked at HIM and IM races but don't think I'll ever take on that level of challenge. I have the utmost respect for those who do.
Drew_ab

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories