JANUARY 2019 McDougall Maintenance Group

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

JANUARY 2019 McDougall Maintenance Group

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:37 am

Welcome to the inaugural McDougall Maintenance support group! Let’s join together for support and camaraderie while we strive to maintain our successes.

The beginning of a new year is the perfect time to start a new group. Many of us have lost weight and/or reached other health goals. We’re ready for that next chapter, maintaining the gains we’ve accomplished.

This group will have Friday check ins, where everyone can touch base. Weigh-ins are optional, and will not be tracked. Please feel free to share your non-scale victories (NSV) as well. Each week I plan to post some “food for thought” also, either some helpful information or just a little motivation for the week ahead.

In order to foster group participation, we do ask that only participants post, so please do join! You can join at any time simply by hitting the “post reply” button and saying something along the lines of “I’d like to join.” As they say, the more, the merrier.

Please allow me to introduce...myself. My name is Lindsey. I first found out about plant-based diets in 2012, and began following Dr. McDougall’s recommendations in June 2016. I have had great success with the regular McDougall plan and have achieved my health and weight goals by following the program, but like many people, as soon as the scale hits a certain number, I get a little too lax and my pants get tight. I am looking forward to the accountability this group provides to help me stay focused.

Here is my meet the members profile, pregnancy journal and food journal.

I also co-run a monthly WFPB pitch in of like-minded folks. I live in a household of “mixed eaters,” so I know all too well the challenges that entails. It’s great to have this online community for support at any time of day or night.

Feel free to introduce yourself as well, with as much, or little, information as you'd like. I look forward to hearing from you!
Last edited by Lyndzie on Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: JANUARY 2019 McDougall Maintenance Group

Postby JeffN » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:55 am

Welcome! This weekly weigh in group is for those of you who have achieved your health goals and are working on maintaining them by following the Regular McDougall Program, the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program and/or Mary's Mini's.

While some of us have found achieving and maintaining success on the McDougall program to be a simple and easy process, many of us find there are ongoing challenges in maintaining the program over the longterm. Don't be disappointed. We live in a society and environment that makes healthy living a challenge. It has been formally recognized as a "toxic food environment." In addition, some of us find that we are the only one in our family following the program, which only adds more challenges. If so, this group is for you. We understand and get it and are here to support each other.

If you would like to participate in the group, introduce yourself and join the the weekly weigh-ins.

Here are some links to a few threads that you may find helpful to maintaining the program:

Long Term Compliance
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44133

10 Secrets to Success
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12425

Top 10 Reasons for Failure to Follow the Program
viewtopic.php?t=8316

Star McDougallers
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... nce/stars/

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Grammy Ginger » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:27 pm

This sounds like fun.

I'm Ginger. I eat WFPB. I reached my weight goal within a few months of beginning a decade ago. I've been up and down a bit as I learned how to do it and after menopause forced me to adopt some new, stricter rules. When I began, I didn't realize I was overweight as I was and still am thinner than anyone I know. Still, I lost 45 lbs but found that a little too thin. So, I level off between 97 and 100 lbs at 4'11".

I started this because I was a darn sick cookbook author. As I got healthier and my carni husband got sicker, he began to see the benefits of my WOE. So, he went to TrueNorth and has stuck with things more or less. His weight is still too high but many of his health issues resolved.

We hike, kayak, walk, and train our dogs together for exercise. I dance. He flies RC hand launch gliders which requires some pretty interesting hand and foot work sort of like throwing a discus.

We went to see Dr. Esselstyn a couple weeks ago, and now he's more on board than ever. Dr. E helped me figure out my last health hurdle. Hurray!

So, I look forward to this group. Thanks for starting it. Have a lovely day.
Grammy Ginger

Postby geo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:16 pm

Ok, I'm game!

If you want to read my results testimonial: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=35090
If you want to know how I did it, every step of the way: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27969
If you want my Star McDougaller story: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -syndrome/

So its been 7 years for me on the MWL, not sure if that constitutes maintenance mode as I spent most of those years experimenting with the MWL...seeing if I could improve it, tweek it, make it even better...well I learned a lot, but it was all for naught as nothing I tried improved upon the results I got just from the MWL and JeffN's guidelines. So now I've resolved this year to just spend it truly in maintenance mode, going back to my MWL roots and see what happens :-) I know what works for me and I know what doesn't, maybe I can help others on their maintenance journey. And maybe I can learn from you all as well :nod:

Plus my life has changed alot in the past few years. Today I'm lucky to be fully employed again, however at a completely new career (from IT to Warehouse work), from 100% sedentary to 100% physical, working 10 hour days standing and carrying boxes weighing 70-150 lbs all day long. Needless to say going from one extreme to another is quite challenging, especially at my age, but so far the MWL is working out great. Its been 4+ months at this new job and still going strong :lol: Hoping for another great year in 2019. Bring it on folks!
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:01 pm

Hi Ginger! So nice to meet you. Having a full decade under your belt, that is quite an achievement! Being a cookbook author sounds like interesting work. That is so wonderful to have such a supportive spouse. I hope your day is lovely as well!

Hello Geo! So glad to have you join. You are quite a veteran, and make it look so easy! I remember seeing you post about going from unemployed to starting a new career. It’s great how this way of eating can support even the most active lifestyles.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:22 am

How has everyone’s week been?

I am so glad that the holidays are over, and all of the family get togethers. We had five family gatherings, plus a few other casual get togethers. I did manage to put on three pounds during that time, and am holding steady since then, so it’s just a matter of tweaking that calorie density and it will come off again.

Best to you!

(Edited to fix autocorrect)
Last edited by Lyndzie on Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby ImHere » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi Lindsey. I would like to join. I started seriously following the McDougall diet and tracking weight loss in October of 2016. By December of 2017 I had lost about 65 pounds. I have continued to follow the plan in 2018 and lost another 5 pounds. I am at a good weight and plan to continue doing what works. I do have a lot of major life changes happening this year and think the extra support here will be helpful. Looking forward to hearing everyone’s updates. Thanks Sharon
ImHere

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:50 pm

Welcome Sharon! You’ve had great success with the program. I’d love for you to be a part of the gang. If you don’t mind me asking, what brought you such great success? The regular program, or Maximum Weight Loss? Did you continue with that or change things after you reached your goal?
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby ImHere » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:20 pm

I follow the regular plan. Although it is usually MWL for breakfast and lunch on work days. I have been eating MWL for workday breakfast and lunch for many years. However I kept putting on weight due to my evening and weekend choices.

I finally implemented a three step visualization for anytime I wanted something non McDougall. 1. Visualize myself in a favorite setting enjoying the food I am craving. Ie see myself at a restaurant overlooking the beach having chips and salsa. Take a few deep breaths and really feel the enjoyment and pleasure associated with the entire scenario. I am not sure why this took the edge off my cravings. 2. Visualize what might happen if I continued eating poorly. This is my MIL suffering from dementia and unable to care for herself. I always felt like she was in side her brain screaming to be let out. DO NO WANT. 3. Visualize what I do want and may be possible with healthy eating and lifestyle choices. This is me hiking and biking into my 90s and one day dieing peacefully in my sleep.

Hope that wasn’t to much answer to your question.
ImHere

Postby victw » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:08 pm

This is the first year in a while that I did not make a New Year's Resolution to lose weight.

The resolution this year is to MAINTAIN my weight. Today I weighed in at the same weight I was last week (and the same range I've been in during the past few months.) And next year I will also be weighing in at the same range.

I had a few two many extras over the holidays. I can always justify the home made stuff. I didn't gain weight - but I'm having sugar cravings. So I'm going to get that one in check the next few weeks.

The MWL thread was so helpful during my loss last year. So I'm thrilled to be participating in this thread.

I lost almost 20% of by body weight. And I'm at a healthy BMI - eating a mostly WFPB diet.

Thankful for everything I've learned from Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick. Thrilled to finally be a vegetarian that eats vegetables.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Suey51 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:20 am

I'm in!

Big thanks to Jeff and Lindsey for establishing the group :D Hello to old and new friends, I'm looking forward to sharing the weight maintenance journey with all of you!

Between May 2017 and March 2018 I lost 25 pounds (nearly 17% of my weight) following the MWL Program and now follow the regular McDougall Program. You can read more details in my Success Story and Weight Maintenance Journal. I'm so grateful to the MWL weigh-in group who provided accountability, support, information and company during my weight loss journey and excited to join this group!

Like you Lindsey, I'm glad the holiday period is over! The past week has been a little bumpy as there were still some hyper-palatable foods in the house, but its getting easier again :-D I lost just over a pound this week and am now about 2.5 pounds over my goal weight. We're travelling this month and my plan is to stick as close as possible to the regular McDougall Program with the aim of maintaining my current weight. Once we're back home, I'll work on getting back to goal weight.

Sharon - thanks for sharing your visualisation technique, it sounds great!

Sue
Suey51

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:11 am

Thanks for the visualization exercise, Sharon. I’m going to try that next time I’m having a craving and see if that helps it pass without eating it.

Welcome victw! Congrats on getting to the maintenance stage. Those extras around the holidays have left me with a bit of the pleasure trap, too.

Yay Sue! So glad you are joining. Enjoy your travels best of luck McDougalling while gone.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Winterrose » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:46 pm

I would like to join.
Thanks
Winterrose

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi Winterrose! Welcome. How long have you been McDougalling? What success(es) has the program helped you achieve?
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby karin_kiwi » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:44 pm

Hi everyone

I hope I'll fit in here - I did meet all my goals in 2009/2010 (I lost about 63kg/140lbs) but the last few years have been a challenge. I first found out about McDougall in the late 80s through his books, then I was on his support board when it was at VegSource, then he started his own forum and I hopped over.

I kept a journal here of my Big Effort.
First twelve weeks: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=11503
Then a longer followup: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=13138

Here's a visual of before and after: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qf34j3lrcrmqu ... r.png?dl=0

I have found maintenance a challenge for a few reasons:

• Being slightly overweight isn't the imminent catastrophic health issue that having a BMI of nearly 50 is. I just can't scare myself to the same degree.
  • The effort it takes to just stay the same is so much less rewarding than that effort paying off in daily and weekly health improvements. I love the food, but it is a daily struggle to eat the right amount of healthy food and to not eat rich plant food, vegan junk food, and oil. I'm achievement focused - staying in the same place is really demotivating for me, especially when I'm having to work to do it. I have not lost my taste for any of the foods that I used to eat, even the animal ones I haven't touched in a decade or more.
  • As I age, my calorie budget (never fantastic) has reduced. At 1400 cal/day I maintain an extra 20 pounds. I have to go to 1200 or less to lose - even with regular exercise. For 10 months of 2018 I averaged 1200 cal/day (7% fat, min 25g fiber, 99.9% whole foods), exercised 4+ days a week for at least 45 minutes, and started off with a 10 day fast at True North - and I lost a total of 10kg/22lbs the entire time. It was the strictest 10 months I've ever had in the 25 years I've gone on/off McDougall - stricter than the 2009/2010 period where I was so fantastically successful. Gone are the days when a week or two of Max Weight Loss got me down 5 pounds. :-(
  • I injured myself in a fall while running (cracked my kneecap) and I haven't gotten myself back from that fully. Running is the only exercise that significantly helps with my lifetime depression and it's wonderful to burn calories. I'm gradually getting back into it as I have PT sessions and walk.
  • I have profound lifelong food issues that are helped, but not eliminated, with a McDougall diet. It's the whole "eat until satisfied but not stuffed" part - I'm often not emotionally satisfied until I'm stuffed to pain and beyond. I can binge on nothing but fruit, vegetables and starches - no oil, nothing refined. Sure, vegan junk food and the rich plant foods can make it easier to overeat, but I don't need them. I can struggle to keep it down to 1400 calories even when I'm only eating spinach, plain potatoes, fruit, raw and steamed veggies, and the like. I have to actively and consciously control how and what I eat and I use a food diary app for this.

I think I want a place where I can read about people who know what they're doing and are doing it, without all the misinformation and confusion with what the other "WFPB docs" recommend (they are also wonderful, but there are differences in the edges of what they endorse, and I am a McDougaller). I know I want a place where I'm not going to be judged for using a food diary app and for employing tricks like starting meals with soup or salads or other non-starchy veggies to reduce my total calorie intake while still maintaining volume satisfaction. I know I want a place where I'm not being told "I'm doing it wrong" because I gain weight if I eat more than about 1400 calories/day. I'm happy to share my experiences, tips, and tricks and lend my support as needed.

I hope I can be welcome here even though at this point in time I still need to lose about 20 pounds of the 40-something I regained in the last few years.

Sorry for the long ramble/rant! :D
All time high 275+ lbs/125+ kgs (maxed out scale!). Was a size 26-28. * * * Fastest 10 km (6.25 miles) run time 55.30; half marathon time 2:13.49.

Dealing with the maintaining huge weight loss thing... imperfectly and with some challenges.
karin_kiwi

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories