Coronary calcium score reduced

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Coronary calcium score reduced

Postby gmdodaro » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:12 pm

My total calcium score on previous test, January 31, 2018, was 840.42. Today, about six months later, the result is down to 732.21.

Since 2011 this number has been increasing by about 100 points per year. Now it has come down 88 points in six months.

Drs. Esselstyn and McDougall both recommend vegan diet and also elimination of all oils in cooking or salads. I didn't know about the oil prohibition until recently, but the vegan diet evidently has significantly improved my case.

I will attempt to reduce or eliminate oils to be sure the improvement continues.
gmdodaro

Re: Coronary calcium score reduced

Postby Birdy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:26 pm

Hi,
I'm surprised no one responded to your post. Maybe because, like me, many people don't know much about calcium scores. Congratulations on the big improvement in your diet and health! It's especially encouraging to you, I would imagine, to see the much lower value as compared to the 100 point increase previously. Hope to hear updates as you progress.
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby Idgie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:23 pm

Yeah, I actually didn't know if lower calcium score was good or bad. :-)

I rarely respond to the posts about medical stuff, because I figure there are experts on the board, and I'm not one of them.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Drew_ab » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:15 am

It's my understanding that anything over a score or 0 is abnormal when it comes to a coronary calcium score, right? Either way, congrats as you are headed in the right direction! Be sure to keep us posted about what changes you continue to experience in the future.
Drew_ab

Postby Clark » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:24 am

Vitamin K2, which most Western diets lack, guides the deposition of calcium in our bodies. It guides calcium to where it belongs, bones and teeth, and pulls it from where it doesn't, blood vessels and cartilage.

Another piece of good news is that it works very quickly, in weeks and months, not years.

There are some foods which contain K2; natto and sauerkraut come to mind. But it is easiest to just take a supplement.

As plaque deposits age they calcify. The positive aspect to that is they then no longer rupture- they are stable. (Plaque rupture is the mechanism for heart attacks 90% of the time. The other 10% happen because of gradual stenosis.)

Avoid all oils. All oils destroy the endothelium, which is the gateway to atherosclerotic heart disease.
Clark

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:03 am

While our diet may not provide K2, it’s a good thing we synthesize it! No need to supplement when you can DIY.

From Jeff on K2: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=45710
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories