3 years free from prostate cancer

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

3 years free from prostate cancer

Postby johnotvos » Thu May 24, 2018 4:12 pm

Hello to all who choose to read my personal story. Prostate cancer runs in my family. Papa decided to go it alone and lived another 22 years until he crossed to the other side. An unfortunate phrase for reductionists and materialists alike. I was the one bro of 3, fortunate enough to ‘acquire’ this condition. Indeed, the first urologist to diagnose me claimed I had the right one to get. Boy, did he ever make me feel lucky! That was in 2005. I lived with it for 9 years until the groin pain became continuous, despite switching to a WFPB diet 3 years before surrendering to the light eternal of EBRT.

I’m fully aware that there is no magic bullet for any cancer once it has spread. To treat successfully with diet, that protocol should begin very early in the disease progression. It was determined that my PC had not metastasized to the bones and lymph, but, could not be positively ID’d as having escaped the cellular boundary of my belovèd doughnut. In 2014, after having 28 consecutive treatments, I went home to bask in the symptoms of this invasive experimental régime. There remain residuals that few wish to discuss. As the Brits say: More’s the pity!

4 months later with two PSA tests under my belt, I saw my oncologist. He said he had never seen a man of my age recover so quickly. I told him that PC was a lifestyle disease, mainly determined by the food on our forks, not the genes from our DNA. He said to me that he was beginning to see that. Then there’s the new science of epigenetics. I caught the affliction, but, my two elder bros got off scot-free, although I hear under the grapevine that all’s not well, back there in ON~Terrible. Ahhhh, one must be an expat to utter that phrase, as I shifted to NS over a decade ago. Yeah, I'm a Canuck above the 49th.

On January 9th of 2018, my oncologist discharged me as having no more need to follow my progress. My sis is a former RN and she says that’s overly rare given my now septuagenarian status. I’m no fan of numerology but the number 9 which means completion, has figured considerably in my life. I see the marvellous synchronicities and continue to be amazed at the mystery within our Universe. I have written about my personal story in more detail for any who would like to scan it with their scroll wheel.

https://johnotvos.wordpress.com/2018/01/21/prostate-cancer-an-encounter/

Careful now; in yoga, we say one can never go too deep, only too fast.
johnotvos

Re: 3 years free from prostate cancer

Postby f00die » Fri May 25, 2018 12:04 am

nice story
nice blog
interesting
f00die

Postby johnotvos » Fri May 25, 2018 8:25 am

Thank you, foodie. Perhaps the only good reason for telling a personal story by making it public, is simply to share something positive, experientially.
johnotvos

Postby pundit999 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:03 pm

Great story.
Thanks for posting.
pundit999

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories