Yes, it does work!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Yes, it does work!

Postby Herbivore in NYC » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:53 pm

Hello - I am a 55 y.o. retired nurse practitioner and am very pleased to report that I am finally off statin drugs by changing to a starch-based, no-added oil, herbivore diet.

I watched my LDL cholesterol slowly and steadily climb, beginning at age 30 until it passed the 190 threshold around age 45, at which time my MD started me on a statin drug. As I have never been overweight, am physically active and then ate what is generally considered a very healthy diet (animal meat 1-2 times a week), starting a statin was a reasonable choice by standards of conventional medical wisdom. In fact, I was happy because I had been anxiously watching my LDLs climb and knew that it meant a higher risk of cardiovascular disease for me.

Slowly over the years, as the experience and research data with statins grew, I began to believe I could do better. Eventually I stumbled on The Healthiest Diet on The Planet which intrigued me and led me to learn more about Dr. John McDougall's work. Because I am a woman of medical science, the evidence-based support for his recommendations is very, very important to me.

Well, after approximately 5 months of following his starch-based,no-added oil, herbivore diet, my LDL's are 149 WITHOUT a statin drug. (Because I have not suffered a heart attack or other CV event and do not any other condition such as diabetes or hypertension, this LDL level is acceptable. Though obviously, I hope it will continue to lower over time.)

THANK YOU Dr. McDougall!
Herbivore in NYC

Re: Yes, it does work!

Postby Spiral » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Herbivore in NYC wrote:Hello - I am a 55 y.o. retired nurse practitioner and am very pleased to report that I am finally off statin drugs by changing to a starch-based, no-added oil, herbivore diet.

I watched my LDL cholesterol slowly and steadily climb, beginning at age 30 until it passed the 190 threshold around age 45, at which time my MD started me on a statin drug. As I have never been overweight, am physically active and then ate what is generally considered a very healthy diet (animal meat 1-2 times a week), starting a statin was a reasonable choice by standards of conventional medical wisdom. In fact, I was happy because I had been anxiously watching my LDLs climb and knew that it meant a higher risk of cardiovascular disease for me.

Slowly over the years, as the experience and research data with statins grew, I began to believe I could do better. Eventually I stumbled on The Healthiest Diet on The Planet which intrigued me and led me to learn more about Dr. John McDougall's work. Because I am a woman of medical science, the evidence-based support for his recommendations is very, very important to me.

Well, after approximately 5 months of following his starch-based,no-added oil, herbivore diet, my LDL's are 149 WITHOUT a statin drug. (Because I have not suffered a heart attack or other CV event and do not any other condition such as diabetes or hypertension, this LDL level is acceptable. Though obviously, I hope it will continue to lower over time.)

THANK YOU Dr. McDougall!

Good job. Keep up the good work. And thanks for joining the discussion forum.
Spiral

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories