5 months after 10 day live-in program

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

5 months after 10 day live-in program

Postby NewDeb » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:49 am

I have always lost weight very easily and quickly when following diets, so I was deeply disappointed when I only lost 3 lbs. during Dr. McDougall's 10 day live-in program in Santa Rosa, CA in January 2017. I didn't factor in the amount of food I was eating without having portion limitations for the first time in my life. I was encouraged to try new foods and to eat until I was satisfied. I may have taken that a bit far some days - some meals I was eating 2 and 3 portions of their amazing food - but I was having such a good time with so much food to choose from and not having to prepare it.

I remember thinking I had died and gone to heaven the first night when I saw a huge pan of mashed potatoes and gravy on the food table! No one had ever told me I could eat mashed potatoes and gravy and be healthy - I was always told potatoes were my enemy!

The staff at Dr. McDougall's health center knew I was disappointed in the small weight loss, but told me the weight would come off if I stuck with this new way of eating when I got home. I wasn't convinced, but I am stubborn, so I carried on.

Today is almost 5 months since I returned home on January 15, 2017 and I have shed an additional 53 lbs. since I returned home. That is 56 lbs. total since I started eating the "McDougall" way.

I was fortunate I had no other health issues to deal with besides obesity: no heart problems, no type II diabetes, and my blood pressure is low, not high. My already good numbers for cholestoral etc. have improved with my new eating. I am now able to go to the pool twice a week and I'm working out with my trainer once a week again. I am feeling energized! People are starting to comment on how much better I look, which is a boost for the ego, but for the first time ever looking good for other people is not my goal. My goal is to move without pain, to be active and enjoy life, and I feel like that is attainable now.

I have a long way to go with my weight loss (possibly another 150 lbs.), but I am no longer in a rush. I know all I have to do is eat the starches and my weight will take care of itself. My body will make the decision when I am at the perfect weight and I am finally at peace with allowing my body to be in charge.

Thank you Dr. McDougall, family, and staff. I am forever grateful! Deb
Last edited by NewDeb on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NewDeb

Re: 5 months after 10 day live-in program

Postby jamietwo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:00 pm

Good for you for persevering and finding success with the program! Congratulations! :nod:
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby NewDeb » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:41 pm

Thank you so much!
NewDeb

Postby John McDougall » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks for sharing your journey.

Your story is a common one. Our program is "all you can eat." That is because by nature you will always attempt to satisfy your appetite - so give in and eat.

The only way to permanently solve your troubles (as you have found) is to eat the right foods -- a starch based diet (very low-fat).

This approach always works, but it is hard for many people to fully understand the simplicity of this solution - especially when everyone knows "starches make you fat."

The McDougall Program in Santa Rosa, California, is a very enjoyable, highly effective experience. Many people absolutely need this extra help to save their life.

Congratulations on your conversion and success. Spread the good news.

Keep us posted.

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby NewDeb » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Thank you, Dr. McDougall. I spread the word everywhere I can cause I want everyone to feel as good as I do and eating the "McDougall" way is good for the planet.
Deb :)
NewDeb

Postby astirle » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:56 am

Fantastic work Deb, congratulations and well done on your persistence - it pays off!

All the best!
On the quest for resilience
astirle

Postby viv » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:44 pm

Many congratulations Deb! You are wonderful to keep going no matter what. We are all in this for life and however long it takes to get the weight off is part of the journey. We reap the benefits from day 1. You are a hero, you have saved your own life... with the help of our wonderful Dr. McDougall!
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby NewDeb » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Thank you, viv. Wow! Congratulations on your great success! Yes, we are in this for life and I intend to enjoy the ride :-)
NewDeb

Postby NewDeb » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:25 pm

Thank you, astirle. I wasn't notified of your message and just noticed it now. I appreciate you taking the time to show your support!
NewDeb

Postby Atheria » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Your response was normal after probably doing many very restrictive (in terms of portions and calories) over the years. Going a bit overboard is a natural reaction. Congrats on continuing on once you got home and doing so well! I remember walking into my kitchen after a cruise and thinking, "Darn, there's not a huge, magically prepared, help yourself food extravaganza!" LOL

Keep up the great work!
Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby NewDeb » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:50 am

Thank you, Atheria. Funny story. Yes, I definitely need to hire a live-in chef. :-)
NewDeb

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories