New, results after one year McDougall

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: New, results after one year McDougall

Postby Dampy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:52 am

katie3 wrote:Hi Dampy,

Thank you for sharing your experience! Would you share amounts of fatty plant foods you tend to eat daily? I'm finding adding them in is helping me, as well, but wanted to know more about amounts that have worked for you.

I'm close to your beginning BMI (5'4", 123 pounds, BMI 21) and would like to be closer to a BMI of 19.

Thank you for any details you can share!

Hi,

It’s nice to see my original post still gets read. :-)
We are over a year later, so I guess it fits to report my two-year status.

My weight has stayed the same. I weigh somewhere around 97 to 100 lbs, which is a BMI of around 17. I still never count calories or weigh portions and stuff like that. I eat as much as I like, and I’m specially fond of diners. Usually there’s seconds or even thirds. Friends and family don't understand how I can eat that much and not look like a whale.

I like my meals to be simple. Lots of potatoes and rice and all kinds of vegetables. I always eat fruit with my diner. Mostly tropical fruits because I like those. (Mango, avocado’s, whatever looks good in the supermarket). And I started making my own soups and we really love those.

Healthwise there is no change. I felt good and still feel the same. The pain in my joints has gone away and only returns mildly when I eat to much “wrong” stuff like cheese and butter. Normally I don’t eat those a lot, but on holidays I occasionally do.

I really have no idea of the amount of calories I consume. It will vary a lot I guess. I do like fatty stuff like avocado’s (delicious with rice) and olives and peanut butter. Katie3 asked how much of those I eat. That really varies. Some days I eat avocado and olives and 5 peanut butter sandwiches and some nuts. And there are days I don’t eat those. I guess that if I wanted to or needed to lose weight I would pay more attention to that.

I am pretty compliant most of the time. I do eat more fatty things than DrMcDougall recommends, but somewhere in a newsletter that DrM wrote that avocado’s e.g. can be part of a healthy diet, if the person eating them has no weight issues. I have not cut back on alcohol. I still like my wine and beer and drink regularly. And sometimes I buy a can of Pringles (which I know perfectly well is not food) and gulp it down in one sitting… Occasionally I will eat stuff containing dairy or eggs, but not much. I do not eat meat or fish of any kind. In restaurants I always choose some vegetarian dish. Use absolutely no oil ever. Of course, when eating out oil is ALWAYS used, but I don’t eat out much, so I think I will be okay on that one. And sometimes I buy fake meat and fake cheese. I do know that these are not foods, and loaded with crap, but I do like them (5 or 6 times a month or so).

I also regularly use coconut milk when cooking. I really like creamy dishes and creamy soups. And sometimes I make porridge with nutmilk.

Husband also kept all the weight of and he feels fine. Blood pressure and blood works still excellent. Two years ago he was on al kinds of BP an cholesterol medication. Threw it all out after a couple of weeks McD. For him it's easy. He just eats what I put on the table :-D
Dampy

Postby katie3 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:39 am

Thanks, Dampy! So glad to hear that all is continuing to go well with you. It's so fun to find a way to eat that really serves your long-term health and your short-term desires and pleasures.

My weight continues to drop (120 lbs, BMI 20.6) and I expect it to continue to drop because of the changes I've made. Happy with where I am health and weight-wise and happy with where I'm heading, too. Sounds like that's exactly where you have been the past couple of years and that's always great to hear. :)
First goal: use McDougall & MWL principles to reach 120 lbs. (check!)
Second goal: MAINTAIN with healthy habits and reach 115 lbs.
Current weight: 118.2

katie3

Postby JaniceYvonne » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:31 am

Katie3 What changes have you made to your diet?
JaniceYvonne

Previous

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories