Reversed heart disease: 3.5 year update

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Reversed heart disease: 3.5 year update

Postby pundit999 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:58 am

Just wanted to provide an update on my journey to reverse heart disease.

You can search on my name and see what I have posted over time on this part of the forum, but the summary is that I started on this path 3.5 years ago when I was diagnosed with heart disease and was actually minutes away from getting a stent.

I declined the angiography and the stent, based mainly on my extensive research online, but also because I talked to Dr Esselstyn and Dr Rosati of the Duke Rice Diet. And instead started on this path, and walking most days of the week.

Since I am still here and have not experienced a heart disease episode (increased angina, stroke or heart attack), I have basically conquered this awful disease. Also I lost 30 lbs within weeks and have maintained the weight loss. I also reversed per-diabetes, acid reflux, knee pain, weird rashes on my hands etc etc.

My labs are great, though I continue to take some meds: 10 mg Lipitor, 12.5 mg Metoprolol and 80 mg aspirin a few days a week. My blood pressure is 100/60, my pulse in low 50s, total cholesterol < 100 and LDL < 50, BMI around 23.

My angina has lessened over time. I may get it at times if I eat too much and then try and walk fast afterwards. And when I first start running, but I don't bother about it anymore.

I should eat more greens and take chiaseeds or ground flax seeds regularly. And I should walk more and try and lose a few more lbs. But this disease does not define or consume me anymore.

This forum is a great resource and constitutes a significant portion of my support system. I get great ideas here all the time. And I enjoy reading about other peoples' successes which are encountered here daily.

I Thank Dr McDougall for providing such a great resource for free, Jeff Novick for his great articles and insights, Star McDougallers for their inspiring stories, and everybody for contributing to this sanctuary.
pundit999

Re: Reversed heart disease: 3.5 year update

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:13 am

Congrats!

It's stories by people like you that gave my husband the courage to turn down a cardiac cath last month. He's a post-op CABG, has felt perfectly fine, labs are fine, ekg and nuclear stress test great 2 years running, but the cardiologist wanted a repeat cath, "just in case" something is going on the other tests didn't pick up. We found out from the office manager that he orders them on on all his patients every 2-5 years no matter what their diagnosis. He fought her hard-sell and eventually refused, saying if he *ever* gets even a twinge of pain or unusual fatigue he'll have it again but not a moment before. Surprisingly, not one word from the cardiologist trying to talk him into it.

For the record, since surgery he's been 100% McDougall with Esselstyn's greens tossed in for good luck. He was only partly following it before and wound up needing the quadruple bypass. Aside from the allopurinol for gout and the daily aspirin, he's on only 5 mg atorvostatin that the doc says all his patients stay on for life. My husband refuses to go against doctor's orders when it comes to meds. (sigh)

Keep up the good work!
VeggieSue

Postby pundit999 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:58 pm

VeggieSue:

Thanks for the kind words.

Good to know that your husband is following the plant based diet.
I think a low dose statin is not a bad idea as an added insurance.
pundit999

Postby f1jim » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:44 pm

We all appreciate you sharing your personal experiences with everyone. It's motivating to those wondering about the possibilities of healing themselves of chronic disease. You are another chunk of evidence about the power of healthy eating in reversing what seems like an irreversible course.
Gracias
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories