Time and Adherence!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Time and Adherence!

Postby jamietwo » Fri May 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Nicole, congratulations! Your story is so inspiring! I agree with the others that you qualify for Star McDougaller status! I'm also very appreciative of your positive attitude and all the help you offer others (especially me! :D ) as we struggle with our autoimmune diseases and seek to find the "right" foods via the elimination diet. Thanks so much for sharing your experience, strength and hope! :nod: I'm so happy that you have your life back!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby nicoles » Fri May 09, 2014 2:52 pm

Thanks Vgpedlr! Paleo Propaganda - it is everywhere lately isn't it? I was looking for a local, lifestyle-oriented doctor recently, when I was almost feeling as good as I am now but not quite, and she told me I needed to "Stop this vegan nonsense and start eating paleo, stat!" :shock: She made no concession to the gains I'd already made. Maybe she thought I was lying? Anyway, it was a preliminary interview and I did not go back.

Nancy, I am very touched by what you wrote. Thank you.

Lynn, thanks! Always thinking in the big picture now, after this experience. ;-)
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby John McDougall » Fri May 09, 2014 5:29 pm

Made my day!

I asked Nicoles to tell us her story again through a star mcdougaller.

I would say amazing results, except the benefits are so commonly seen with a change in diet.

But Nicoles persistence is, however, really amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby Lesliec1 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:48 pm

So happy to see that you wrote your story!!! If you didn't, I'd have to drive across the country and pound on your door. Thanks for saving me the long trip.

If ever there was a Star, it's you!

Does it feel like it's been 3 years? Luckily, even with such a stubborn disease like you have, there were enough improvements to keep you going.

Super fantastic and so happy for you.

edited: and what do you eat now that you couldn't before? Do you still do the ED all the time or not any more?
Lesliec1

Postby veggie lover » Fri May 09, 2014 11:01 pm

Thank you Nicole for posting your story! What an inspiration you are! I love reading these stories and sharing them with others!
veggie lover

Postby nicoles » Sat May 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Jamie, Thank you so much, you are very sweet! I am always glad to see how you are doing, you are an insiration to me as well! It is my opinion that you are more disciplined and persistent than I am, and it helps out me a lot to have your example to follow.

Veggie Lover, thank you!

Dr McDougall, Thank YOU for everything you have done, and for putting it out there for all to benefit from. If this site was not here, I would not have changed my life, and my life and health would be miserable.

Leslie, see, now I feel like I should have waited until you got here so we could hang out! :) But, you're right, gas is expensive. Thank you. :-D

It feels both like a short time and like forever that I have been doing this. Now it is just what I do, and occasionally I'll remember what I used to do - say, eat boxed macaroni and cheese with hot dogs - and I'll be like, "Who WAS that?" It does not even feel like me. It's like I live in another dimension now or something.

Hm, I can now eat: a bunch of different kinds of beans, arugula and watercress (which used to make my skin and joints burn, like a sunburn under the skin, very strange but noticeable sensation), zucchini and summer squash, some fruit I used to not be able to eat (but not bananas), almost all seeds except chia (digestive issues). I have not yet tested true ED biggies like wheat, soy, citrus and nightshades, but aside from avoiding those I am not really on an Elimination Diet, per se. Just a limited diet, if that makes sense. Or rather, a limited McDOugall diet. Grains still bother me in general, so my starches are starchy veggies like sweet potatoes, squashes, celeriac, turnips, etc, and then smaller amounts of beans and black or wild rice (only grains I've tried that are OK for me, for now)

I will say this - my theory (not theory as in scientific theory that is actually proven, but theory as in "Amateur, experiential, cobbled-together explanation of something I don't understand") is that I had intestinal permeability which is slowly healing, very slowly, and the more it heals, the more variety of foods I can tolerate.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Dr Sues » Sat May 17, 2014 7:46 pm

Nicole, I just posted concern about how long this is all taking (I am a very impatient person when it comes to my health). Your post was just what I needed to read now. Thank you for posting and for your inspiration!
Dr Sues

Postby apri-le-ali » Mon May 19, 2014 1:53 am

Thank you Nicole,

this was just what I needed to read.

I'm 30 years old and I've been suffering because of debilitating dysmenorrhea for 13 years. I'm on a very low fat version of this plan since November of the last year (I'd say 95% compliant). I am now 50% better, and this is amazing for me! However, I'm still not able to function the first and second day of my cycle. In addition, I now suffer more often of ovary-stomach pain during the month, a worse IBS, and I'm very often fatigued. I must admit that I'd hoped to see my dysmenorrhea and IBS disappear in 6 months, so I felt a bit discouraged!
During the last weeks, I reckoned that all of this symptoms could be caused or worsen by some sensitivity to foods, and I started to do a restricted diet, while staying more on a MWL plan with lots of greens, just like you. I must avoid foods that I adore such as bread, tomatoes, yeast, some hot spices, dried fruit, and soy. I find very difficult to stay on this extra-restricted plan, but when I manage to do that, my IBS and ovary-stomach symptoms disappear. I'm also pretty sure that the dysmenorrhea symptoms will be less and less intense with the time.
Me too, I think I have a gut permeability that causes all of this, and that is healing, very very slowly.
So thanks for underlying the importance of be patient and adherent to the plan, and taking the time to tell your story.
I feel more motivated now.

Sara
apri-le-ali

Postby Dylan » Wed May 21, 2014 9:28 am

Incredibly inspiring, thank you for posting. I have a friend with fibro who never gets much better and I'm going to get her to read your post!

Thanks for sharing your experience - your patience and determination are incredibly inspiring, as well.

Best,
Dylan
Dylan

Postby olindaspider » Wed May 21, 2014 12:40 pm

apri-le-ali wrote:I think I have a gut permeability that causes all of this, and that is healing, very very slowly.

If I thought I had a similar issue, I would be booking a stay at TrueNorth Health for a medically supervised, water-only fast. The theory is the water-only fast gives the gut a break and gives it a chance to heal.
olindaspider

Postby apri-le-ali » Thu May 22, 2014 12:40 am

Olindaspider, that's a very good suggestion! Indeed I'd love to, but I live in Italy. However I'm planning to do a couple of days of fast at home and see how it goes.
apri-le-ali

Postby nayasmom » Thu May 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Slow progress is not a bad thing. On the contrary, it's a grand and wonderful thing - it keeps one coming back here and updating everyone on personal progress or bumps along the journey. It's educational for many, and allows for a sense of camaraderie for many as well.
Robyn
Great spirits have always met with violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

[/url]
nayasmom

Postby amgmmg » Tue May 27, 2014 9:43 pm

Very inspiring Nicole.
amgmmg

Postby tessa » Tue May 27, 2014 10:12 pm

Thank you Nicole for your testimony. I received it in an email this morning and tears came to my eyes. I've been battling with psoriasis for a few years now and at times about tearing my hair out trying to find something concrete to work upon with diet.
We are all different but you have given me hope.
Your journey is a challenge to me and I hope my journey isn't so long as I learn from your experience.
Thank you once again.
tessa

Postby tessa » Tue May 27, 2014 10:19 pm

By the way Nicole, why no bananas :?:
tessa

PreviousNext

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories