Goal! Photos in 3rd post

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Goal! Photos in 3rd post

Postby miranda2060 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:13 pm

Echoing everyone else here: Wow! Congratulations! You look wonderful. Very inspiring!
miranda2060

Postby Ruff » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:17 pm

rmjournal wrote:Your storytelling left me wanting more....the rest of the story. Thanks for sharing.

You don't need a publisher. Self publish by selling as an e-book through Amazon. Get to writing, I'd be happy to purchase once published.

RM

Seriously? I shall have to look into this! Anyone can publish an ebook on Amazon?

Starting writing this afternoon! Give me 6 months or so and I will be an author!
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby lmggallagher » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:35 pm

Kate:

It's just the best that you've reached your goal and I so love that you are celebrating with running. Three hours of running completely astounds me! Then all of your story astounds me. Not the least of which is the 10 cups of Earl Grey a day part. I had an addiction there to my EG and cream but you best me by a long shot!!!! Hmm, she thinks - mugs v. cup - maybe not :lol: :lol: :lol:

I should say I went for leek and potato soup after reading your story today. I love the leek part a lot too!

Now as to those pictures you look so fit and so happy. But I know the best must be the confidence you have now, as your body is clearly prepared to serve you and your loved ones come what may. Your level of health now likely ensures that you will not, like so many of your family members, have to worry about what severe illness lies in the future.

Clearly your back is not bothering you now either - I am so curious how you overcame that and if it was in part the release of weight?

It makes us all so happy to celebrate your success, best to you - Michelle

PS This picture reminds me of your story and your best just keeps getting better!

lmggallagher

Postby moonwatcher » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:26 pm

Wow, Ruff, thank you for sharing this exciting story. I am from California and have lived through a few earthquakes, but NOTHING like what you've been through. Fascinating how the plates of the earth shifted and you shifted with them. I love how The China Study was just waitng for you there in the airport! You are a very brave woman.

It was interesting to read about your time on the paleo diet and your experience with advice on those forums, and also your insights about older women not losing on that plan. This explains something to me I've been wondering about, so thanks.

You really shine in those photos!! Beautiful. And so nice to be stronger than you ever were, yes?? I can relate. :)

xo

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby ajhondrngal » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:17 pm

I loved reading your story! Thanks for sharing. It really shows that even with the unpredictability of life we can be successful if we stick with it.

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Postby Shangrilewis » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Could you be any cuter?

That is a crazy story and it is wonderful to see the change.
Shangrilewis

Postby Potatohead » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:01 am

Great Story..Congratulations on your weigh loss...your pictures tell it all..loved the story...waiting for more :nod:
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby eXtremE » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:13 pm

I just read your story. Thanks for sharing. I did not actually read it. I use google chrome as my web browser and there is great text to speech extension that will speak text for you if you get tired of reading. I just listened to your whole story and it is a lot quicker than reading. Great pictures btw. Keep up the good work. WFPB is definitely the way to go for sustainable weight loss and a healthy body. Image
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby Sagefemme » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:22 am

Dear Ruff--your story was one of the most enjoyable I've read in a long while. I live among so many Paleo-heads who should read this!! You really did give Paleo every chance and proved it to be a terrible way to eat. The bit about the LEEK was a riot--you were so vegetable starved you thought a leek was the most desirable food on earth!!

One concern I have, however. My 18 year old son is leaving next month for New Zealand to do WOOF-ing (Worldwide Opportunities in Organic Farming). I had not thought to worry about earthquakes. Are there really so many huge ones all the time?? Is all of New Zealand affected?
Sagefemme

Postby Ruff » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:21 pm

Sage, great your son is coming WWOOFing here.

Earthquakes: nz is not called the shakey isles for nothing. There is a sizable fault that runs the length of the country, a little like your San Andreas fault. It could go at any time......tomorrow afternoon or in 300 years. No one has managed to accurately predict quakes yet.

That said.....

1. The Christchurch quakes were a exceptionally rare earthquake cluster. Quakes do not normally happen like this. Normally you would get a quake, lesser aftershocks for a few days/weeks and that is it.

2. Quakes don't normally kill you, buildings do. If your son is WWOOFing he will be on a farm. Most 'none city' NZ buildings are wooden with a tin roof. They are unlikely to do you any harm. Although we have had 13,000 quakes only 1 of these killed anyone, although the others did sometimes cause injuries.

3. Even in NZ not everywhere is affected, far north and Deep South rarely have quakes. A big quake might be widely felt, our biggest was felt the length and breadth of the country, but for the vast majority of the country it feels no worse than a large truck rumbling down your street.

4. Even if a big quake hits whilst your son is in town, NZ is working hard and fast to strengthen its buildings. He will almost certainly be fine. Of course Christchurch is the safest place in NZ right now....all our unsafe buildings have fallen down.......

Tell him Bon voyage from me. I am sure he will have a blast. They only problem I can see is that he will fall in love with NZ and not want to come home...... :D
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby LeeNZ » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:10 am

I loved your story and your photos. I had to smile at your incident with the leek! :-D Hmmm...made me want one too - will have to get to the vege store tomorrow!

You are very inspiring. Well done on your transformation! That sweater looks great on you now!

Lee...also in NZ :)
LeeNZ

Postby WendyLady » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:10 am

Ruff, your story was fascinating. A great read. And very inspiring!

I had no idea that the Christchurch disaster was part of so many thousands of earthquakes. It's unbelievable what NZ has been through.

The part of your story about trying paleo was so similar to mine. There's a good reason why you quit losing weight - my endocrinologist explained it to me. Biologically it makes perfect sense. I feel so much better doing this! Your story about being "tempted" by a leek was a hoot.

Your pictures are amazing, and you look GREAT. A big congratulations to you -
WendyLady

Postby stephaniesherie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:12 am

You are amazing!

What's your favorite McDougall book you would suggest to others?

Thanks! :D
stephaniesherie

Postby Jobet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:12 am

Hi Ruff,

I'm quite new to the board and just found your testimonial. Oh my, I hung on every word. What an incredible and interesting story! I'm so very thankful you and your family survived all those quakes.

I fell for the Paleo lie too and spent a couple years trying to make it work for me with horrible results. But, that's history. I've now found through the McDougall plan the food that makes me feel more well than ever. I'm hooked for life. . .

I agree with other posters, you should write a book.

Blessings,

Jobet
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Willijan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:30 pm

Ruff,

Reading your too short post was like going to a well-done disaster movie cum diet adventure. Very fun reading! Yes, you have great writing skills. Please post more if you want.

Congratulations on your success in becoming healthy!

I do hope the earthquakes have slowed down. I couldn't believe how many bad ones you experienced.
Willijan

Previous

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories