8 month checkup.

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

8 month checkup.

Postby imdhreeves » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:57 am

I got pretty good news when I went to see my Endocrinologist last week. My A1c, which measures the average of the last 3 months of blood sugar was 6.2 in the office then 7 by the lab in the same hour. So I guess we can take from that the fact that these numbers are not reliable. Either way The numbers are less than I expected. My Dr. was curious about what I am eating and as I explained to her she said, "Carbohydrates". She looked very surprised but we have enough history that she believed me. I was once one of her success stories on multiple medications to reduce my blood sugar and triglycerides and cholesterol. Sept. 2012 I stopped all the medications and became a starch based whole food vegan without added oil. She requested that I get the lab test to confirm the A1c and also asked for a Fructosamine level which shows your blood sugar level over the last 2 to 3 weeks. It came out normal.
On our last visit, January I think she was angry that I would make such a radical and against her advice change in diet and medication. Now her attitude is surprise.
I hope to continue my journey towards health as I figure out how to stop over eating and start loosing weight.
imdhreeves

Re: 8 month checkup.

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:34 pm

That's great! Now she just needs 20 more people to do the same thing and MAYBE she'll really believe it! You're the first! I was my doc's first, too. ;)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby imdhreeves » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:03 pm

Thanks for your encouragement. I read your story and hope I can follow suit. Even though I am eating whole foods I am eating too much of them. I may have to white knuckle it and just limit my portions. I am not doing well on that issue yet.
I am sure that getting my weight down, I'm in the 170s at 5 ft 4.5 inches, will help me feel even better. What a blessing this new diet has already been. I no longer wake up nauseated every day since stopping 9 prescriptions and 7 vitamin and herbal medications. My friends all have commented on how healthy I look. My mood is much better too. My boyfriend says I am a whole new person.
imdhreeves

Postby lmggallagher » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:08 pm

Congratualtions - these stories of waking docs up are just so wonderful. they have such a hard time going against their educations though. I feel kind of bad for them as they must think we are flukes of some sort!

Best wishes for continued improvements! Michelle

lmggallagher

Postby imdhreeves » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:29 pm

I think it is sort of my duty to let her know that this way of eating can work with Type Two Diabetes. I am happy that is is turning out so well. It would be easier and less expensive to just stop being her patient. She is one of those Docs who don't bother with insurance so $175.00 a visit is an expense but worth it if she sees the light.
imdhreeves

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:48 am

What doctors "don't bother with insurance"??? If you have insurance she needs to be filing it. I would turn her in if she refuses, unless her practice just doesn't accept YOUR insurance. What the heck??
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby imdhreeves » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:34 am

They do file for me but I pay up front then get a $45.00 check from the insurance company once my deductible is used. My monthly medical insurance is $1007.00. They have me over a barrel though since I have both Diabetes and Multiple Sclerosis. The HMO Doctor I had, prior to this one, said things to me like, Blood Sugar of 180 is not bad. And when I complained that my feet were burning from the high blood sugar of 180 he said, "No they're not." That's when I went looking for a Dr. who would listen to me and believe me when I said things like, "My feet are burning". Of course that is what started me down the road to taking way too many prescriptions. It is one of our modern conundrums. I like eating healthy without taking medications much better.
imdhreeves

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories