YES!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

YES!

Postby Brockwurst » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:05 pm

I don't own a scale, haven't used the scale at the gym for awhile... BUT in the last 6 weeks of modifying my vegan diet to one of low fat, low glycemic index, increased aerobic and resistance exercise I had to hit the scale yesterday at my new physician's practice. I've lost 22 pounds! 6 weeks! This is in spite of adding some lean muscle mass!

Next, I'm looking forward to having my labs drawn and see the difference in the lipid panel. I also have to see a the cardiologist about an abnormal EKG that, on first glance, seems to indicate the possibility of a previous myocardial infarction; this was ruled out 2.5 years ago by the same cardiologist. When it was ruled out, I was 25 pounds heavier, not exercising, and off my vegan diet for a couple of years; my lipid profile was sky high. Yet, my carotid ultrasound showed only a minor plaque at a bifurcation and I passed my treadmill stress test with flying colors. I found it amusing, at that time, that the cardiologist seemed disgusted that I would not consider statin drugs and, likely, that he would not be doing a bypass graft!

So, my thanks to Dr. McDougall, Jeff, its contributors and supporters!
Brockwurst

Re: YES!

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:11 pm

Way to go, Brockwurst! Please update us on your lipid panel.
Proud member of S.P.U.D.S. (Society for the Protection of Underrated and Devalued Starches).
KittyMcKnitty

Postby ajhondrngal » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:15 pm

:thumbsup:

That's great news!

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Postby Starchy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:44 pm

Great going! 22lbs in 6 weeks, WOW! Can't wait to see the blood results.
Starchy

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:40 am

That's great! :) However, we don't worry about the glycemic index here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/ ... ycemic.htm

Eat lots of starch! It's the key!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Brockwurst » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:34 am

6/15/2013: Total Cholesterol = 168 (down from 234), Triglyceride = 123 (down from 223), HDL cholesterol = 41 (up from 29), LDL Calculated = 102 (down from 160), LDL:HDL Ratio = 2.49 (down from 5.52), VLDL (Calculated) = 25 (down from 45), Cholesterol to HDL Ratio = 4.1 (down from 8.1).

As to the triglyceride, this is even after forgetting about labs the next morning and had 2 glasses of wine.

Yes, I know "we don't worry about glycemic index here," and I know that alcohol is not approved of.

I really look forward to next year's results as should be even better due to prolonged continuation of resistance training, some aerobics and, at some point, initiation of "high resistance interval training" from "interval training" as my cardio-respiratory capacity increases.

58 years young!
Brockwurst

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:25 pm

Well done!

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories