Acne success

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Acne success

Postby Starchy1 » Wed May 15, 2013 4:45 pm

I've been doing McDougall for a year now, and it has helped greatly with my severe cystic acne (as well as shed a few pounds). I'm 43 years old and I've been on several acne medications since my early teens, but medication alone hasn't been effective, especially recently.
I know it is the McDougall Diet that has been the key to healthy skin (along with my antibiotics) because I recently returned from a month long stay at a research station in the Caribbean that caters to U.S. scientists and their horrible diet. While there my acne issues flared up even though they serve vegetarian (but not vegan) food. I did as best I could staying away meat and dairy (often with peanut butter), but the food was overwhelmingly oily, refined carbs. I'm back in the States and back on McDougall, so I expect to see healthy skin and a trimmer waistline very soon.
It took a while to see the effects of diet on acne, but be patient because this diet works. Although my body chemistry is such that I'm predisposed to acne, I believe that dairy is a major instigator of acne, and oily food is secondary. However, this is me speaking from anecdotal evidence based on just myself as a sample "population."
Starchy1

Re: Acne success

Postby djdasher » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:45 am

Just saw your post and wanted to say congratulations on addressing your issue by looking for a natural solution. I know that you will do well.

DJ
djdasher

Postby WendyLady » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:19 am

I'm so glad to hear you are having success with this!

The only time in my entire life I've been completely, 100% acne free was when I went completely dairy-free for several weeks in 2011. This change to McDougall will be my second completely dairy-free time, and I'm very hopeful. But I do believe dairy is the big culprit.

It makes me very sad that I have had the opportunity to mention this to people and they think I'm crazy. I know a 14-year-old with extreme acne who is taking accutane. Her family was willing to give her a dangerous drug that could permanently harm her organs - but not willing to go dairy-free. It boggles the mind.

Kudos to you for finding a real solution, and best wishes adjusting back (I hope you enjoyed your stay at the research station anyway!).

We are American but haven't lived in the US for a few years. This summer we were back for a few months & my daughter told me, "all the food in America tastes OILY. It is kind of gross, mom." Thought you would like that, LOL.
WendyLady

Postby ajhondrngal » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:43 am

Starchy1 wrote:I've been doing McDougall for a year now, and it has helped greatly with my severe cystic acne (as well as shed a few pounds).

Starchy1, Congrats! That's great!

WendyLady, I loved what your daughter said. You're teaching her right!

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Postby Veganrocks » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:05 pm

Great to hear of the success! My own rosacea cleared up with this woe.
Wendylady, where are you living? (don't mean to hijack the thread! :o )
Veg since 1977.
Veganrocks

Postby wildgoose » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:32 pm

Congratulations, Starchy1!

I had rosacea for many years and lived on low-dose tetracycline. Since going whole food plant/starch based a little over a year ago, the rosacea has disappeared. My dermatologist continues to say I'm in "remission," and I take no meds at all.

I'm convinced that this WOE is the answer to a lot of skin conditions.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby WendyLady » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:34 pm

You Rosacea sufferers have given me great hope! Last summer a dermatologist added this to the interminably long list of things wrong with me. It makes me feel so ugly! I can't wait to see if this will go away!!

Veganrocks, we live in Oman. Processed foods aren't very popular here except with the other non-natives, and food here tends to be a lot closer to the source. Everything is pretty fresh - the chickens, for example, are very small because they aren't GMO or pumped full of weirdness. You buy in the store what was slaughtered today (well, I don't buy any of that anymore LOL - but it is a great example of how much more natural things are here). They love their olive oil, but are very happy to make my salads & hummus without the added oil. Nothing is fried.

As happy as I get to see more variety in the stores each year, I'm sad to think of a day (it is coming!) when the Omanis are eating mostly processed foods that we foreigners brought to them, and their health begins to suffer for it.

Last year we took a picture of a so-called journalistic article in the local paper extolling the health benefits of McDonald's. Because these things aren't required to be plainly labeled as "advertising" as they are in the west, companies can get away with this sort of thing. For now.
WendyLady

Postby trisheratops » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:09 am

Ah, I was just going to post something similar! Been vegan for 2 years and had slight improvement in my acne when I switched from a lacto-ovo diet, but it never fully went away until I became a starchivore 2 months ago. Guess it was all that "healthy" fat I was consuming - nuts, avocados, olive oil. And doctors still say, "diet has nothing to do with acne" SUREEE :shock:
trisheratops

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories