It Works :) Size 14+ to 4

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

It Works :) Size 14+ to 4

Postby SweetPea » Sun May 12, 2013 8:32 am

Thank you to everyone on this forum for freely sharing information, encouragement, and testimonials. And especially, thanks to Dr. McDougall for making the process of eating healthfully much simpler than I knew it could be. I wasn’t confident at first that I could lose this much weight (47 pounds so far) without extraordinary measures, but I have, and it’s been so straightforward overall. I love the sense of calm I now have about meals, eating food that’s delicious and healthy, feeling so optimistic and energized about the future, and of course ~ my results.

Feel free to check out my journal, where I post meal pics and aim to highlight my journey into exercise (and eating more veggies). :-D

Cheers!
Last edited by SweetPea on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
~♥~ It's never too late to go after what you want. ~♥~
SweetPea

Re: It Works :)

Postby PineappleTraci » Sun May 12, 2013 9:59 am

Wow! SweetPea, you look awesome!

Will you share with us what you did to make it happen? What kinds of things did you have for breakfast lunch and dinner? Did you continue to indulge in certain Pleasure Trap foods? Use of fat, sugar and salt at times? Did you consciously lower your calorie density or did it just "happen" for you?

Mental/emotional hurdles? Weigh daily or weekly?

I am always infinitely curious what people have done to gain success, and I am sure there are *many* people who come to these boards who also want to know what others have done so they can follow in your footsteps! (Only if you are interested in sharing, of course!)

Huge congratulations on your smart choices and persistence! :)
PineappleTraci

Postby greentea » Sun May 12, 2013 2:56 pm

Congrats Sweetpea! You look fantastic!
greentea

Postby mtns » Sun May 12, 2013 4:19 pm

Wow, you look fantastic. Congradulations.
Kathy
mtns

Postby SweetPea » Sun May 12, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks for the kind words, PineappleTraci, greentea, & Kathy!
~~~
To answer some of PineappleTraci’s questions…I started out slowly, still eating a lot of fruit smoothies (as I was coming from a mostly fruit-based raw plan), but I began to add in starch-based meals each day. These were so satisfying that I began adding in even more and it kind of snowballed from there. It seemed like before I knew it, I was sold on eating this way.

I generally had rice with steamed veggies and the occasional sweet potato at first and then started branching into potatoes. I love the food on this plan. It seems like the more I keep at it, the more fun it gets and the tastier simple meals seem. It smells like a holiday to me in the kitchen every time I cook (even if just microwaving a russet!).

The longer I’m at this, the less oil I’m letting in. (I generally don’t eat avocados and nuts because I don’t crave them and at this point, really don’t need them.) Conversely, while I was avoiding them before, I’m eating a bit more salt and sugar lately for added flavor.

I have weighed myself daily for several years. Recently, though, I’ve been skipping days and that’s been nice. It helps to feel like you have a plan that’s working! I’ve also counted calories for years; using the calorie density tool instead is something I’m only really starting to feel intuitive about. It’s taken practice, but I love when I hit the sweet spot of feeling satiated yet not eating more calories than I need, by feel. My weight loss hasn’t been a completely straightforward process. But as long as my food choices are consistently healthy, I try to be patient and not overthink things. If my progress seems stalled, I do start paying closer attention to calorie density and exercise.

I’m still doing a lot of learning and unlearning. This forum has been incredibly helpful in showing me that if you tend to work on the big picture, the smaller details will generally work themselves out. The books, newsletters, expert forums, and Star McDougallers’ stories are a tremendous, consistently trustworthy source of information and so many forum members have offered invaluable tips, reassurance, guidance, and humor. Beyond the plan itself, this forum has been my greatest resource. My personal resolve is probably my greatest ally ~ and matching that up with a plan that appeals to me and works for me is what’s helped me get closer to my goals. :)
SweetPea

Postby viv » Sun May 12, 2013 9:20 pm

Congratulations SweetPea!
Your resolve and determination has paid off big time. You are an inspiration.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby SweetPea » Mon May 13, 2013 6:38 am

Thank you so much, Viv! :)
SweetPea

Postby PineappleTraci » Mon May 13, 2013 9:27 am

Thanks much for posting the details of what has made you successful!

I really like the thought of people who are new to these boards being able to see someone who was at the general age and weight that they are at, and what that person had to do to get the body that they want.

Food pics from your journal look yummy! Looking forward to popping over and doing some reading there. :)
PineappleTraci

Postby SweetPea » Mon May 13, 2013 10:22 am

You're welcome! Thanks for asking such juicy questions. :)
SweetPea

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Mon May 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Wow, you look starch-tastic!
Proud member of S.P.U.D.S. (Society for the Protection of Underrated and Devalued Starches).
KittyMcKnitty

Postby SweetPea » Mon May 13, 2013 6:04 pm

Thank you, Kitty! :-D
SweetPea

Postby Lesliec1 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Wow, you look just plain hot.

I want that dress!!

Wish I could see the face that sits atop that beautiful body. I bet it's radiant with a healthy happy glow.
Lesliec1

Postby SweetPea » Fri May 17, 2013 4:56 pm

Aww, Leslie, your comments made my day! :-D I was shaking before posting those (headless!) photos. Internet stage fright. It's real. :P I am a late convert to maxi dresses: their secret is that they're as comfy as pajamas!
SweetPea

Postby eri » Sat May 18, 2013 6:19 pm

^^Well, those maxis are working like a charm! You look so long & lean...& I agree the dress is great. :)
eri

Postby SweetPea » Sun May 19, 2013 8:45 am

Thanks, eri. :) I feel more like myself again. My only regret is that I didn't discover this plan sooner, but better late than never. :-D
SweetPea

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories