41 pounds!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

41 pounds!

Postby lindbergb74 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:41 am

I started in September of 2012. I'm typing this with tears welling up in my eyes. I never thought this was possible. I stepped on the scale this morning to see that I had lost 41 pounds. People... I am an overeater, I'm not following the MWL plan and I'm pretty much a couch potatoe.

I want to thank all the good folks here on this forum, you inspired me, and Dr. McDougall for sharing this great knowledge with all of us. I'm never going to quit, this is great. I have gone from obese almost down to the normal BMI level. I have about two pounds to go I'll be there soon enough.

If your reading this and you have been posting here a while chances are you were one of the people who inspired me. if your goal is to help people out put another tally mark on the victory count.

THANK YOU!
lindbergb74

Re: 41 pounds!

Postby FranH » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:34 am

:-D Great job!! Keep it up, and keep us posted.
~ Visualize Whirled Peas ~
FranH

Postby annhett » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:41 am

YAY!
annhett

Postby nat0576 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:49 am

Congrats !!!! :lol: Could You Describe a Day of eating???
nat0576

Postby lmggallagher » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:55 am

So very, very happy for you! Not to mention the good you are doing for our over taxed health care system and our little green planet!

Thanks for sharing - now go drop those last two - you are an inspiration to me.

Best wishes - Michelle

lmggallagher

Postby lindbergb74 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:24 pm

A normal day of eating for me:

Week days:

B: nothing

L: rice and beans with lettuce and tomatoes large bowl or two, with 7 corn tortillas

S: rice cakes (lightly salted or Carmel)

D: Pasta fagioli made from white kidneys and pasta with tomato sauce served with some lovely bread

other dinners are bean patty (beans, oats, rice, barbecue sauce and seasonings) on buns with pickles lettuce and tomato served with potatoes, pasta and salad mixed (i use mustard balsamic, Valentina hot sauce and brags as a dressing), mac and cheese (cheese is made from potato, carrot, onion, garlic, nutritional yeast and cashews)
lindbergb74

Postby nat0576 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Do you eat regular white bread? And pasta made fron White Kidneys??? Where do you get the cheese made form potatoes? Thanks for you answers...
nat0576

Postby lindbergb74 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:04 pm

Sorry I didn't explain well...

First of all i still don't have the healthiest diet. I do eat white bread and white rice. My family demands it but I'm working on them. The pasta fagioli, we call it that I don't know what it supposed to be called, is white kidney beans with pasta not made from the beans just regular pasta. I make the cheese myself and my kids and I love it if you want I can give you my recipe. I don't know where the link is anymore someone on this forum probably knows it.

My diet is not the best but I lost 41lbs that is why i'm so happy. I only follow basic McDougall rules.
lindbergb74

Postby Bells » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Congrats on your sucess! Love to read about people feeling good from this food style- thank you for sharing. :)
“since the thing perhaps is to eat flowers and not to be afraid”
-e.e. cummings
Bells

Postby nat0576 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:40 am

awesome...thanks I got the cashew cheese recipe on youtube, I will tried it...Thanks!!!
nat0576

Postby PineappleTraci » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:38 am

lindbergb,

I wonder if you'd also be willing to comment on how you managed to do this thing, mentally. Did you have any demons that you needed to beat back? Did you have any challenging situations that needed some creative problem-solving?

People often come to these boards with hearts full of discouragement and wondering how to even get the motivation to do Day 1, let alone six months of this way of eating. Can you shed any light and what you did right?

I am very, very curious about the mental/emotional part of the game, and think it would benefit many if you would be willing to share!

PS - I am so happy for you!!!!!
PineappleTraci

Postby greentea » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:52 pm

Congrats! I'm so happy for you! :-D
greentea

Postby John McDougall » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:38 pm

Congratulations!

Your example proves once again that it is not about perfection.

But you clearly know what to do:

The McDougall Diet is based on starches, with vegetables and fruits. There are no added free oils and no animal food. (period)

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby lindbergb74 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:58 pm

How I managed so long...

Well, I had been a vegetarian (ovo lacto) for about 7 years. During those seven years I had been gaining weight and feeling bad about it. I tried vegan a few times during those seven years once for almost a full year but it didn't work for weight loss and the cheese was calling me back. I didn't understand that it was the oil and the fat that was causing my weight gain. I thought I needed to be more active and I did a lot of mountain biking and hiking. Even though it never seemed to work. At least I was out in the fresh air. I became deeply depressed about my weight and basically gave up. I got into online gaming until it reached the point of serious addiction. When I realized the trap I had gotten myself into I started looking for help. I got a great book on yoga and found an exercise that worked well for me. I practiced this routine for several months once to twice a day and managed to lose 20 pounds. I felt good about it but it was hard, eventually I started to tire of the workout and I went back to online gaming. When I next came to my senses I tried looking for diets that would work for me. I tried eating once a day, I tried to eat and skip a day but this was just to hard for me to keep up. Next I looked at 80 10 10. This really seemed great to me because they kept saying you can eat as much fruit as you want. I have always been an overeater so this really appealed to me and it was a vegan diet. I had always wanted to go vegan but it had to work for me. I kept saying to my self that I would do 80 10 10 if I could just afford all the fruit. When I get rich...you know... Then one day while watching durianrider on youtube I heard him say something about the McDougall diet as an alternative to the 80 10 10, he said it was just as well if you were into rice and potatoes or something like that. I watched a talk by McDougall on youtube and I was sold. It was a dream come true for me. I have no doubt this is the diet that I was born to eat. I was in love with the food from the first day and that feeling has never stopped. People say, "I could never do that" and I say "I love the food I eat". So the short answer is I really don't struggle with the diet, but I did struggle a lot before the diet. Honestly I really never cheat, except once I tried some hand cut fried potatoes at the airport mostly because I was curious. They were discus ting. I have lost my taste for fried food. I never thought it could happen.

The most important thing I can say based on my experience is patience and persistence will be the key to success. My weight chart looks like a scatter plot. My weight went up and down and up and down. The trend line however was always down. The average loss for me was one pound a week. I wanted faster results and I got impatient often but I stayed with it for the great food.
lindbergb74

Postby lindbergb74 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Thank you Dr. McDougall!
lindbergb74

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories