Reached my goal weight

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Reached my goal weight

Postby Erbse » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:38 am

Today I've posted my weight loss in the MWL thread and my journal for the last time. So here is my first and last entry in this forum too.

I now weigh 142 lbs, 64.5kg, BMI 20.6. (177cm, 5.8 f female).

I have lost ~13 kg (28 lbs) in 8 months. A modest loss in a slowish time, but for me it represents a huge amount as I've carried these extra pounds all my adult life. My highest weight was another 6 kg higher so in total I have lost 20 kg (44 lbs) during the last 3 years.

My weight loss was slow and often stalled. I felt despondent at times and wondered if I would ever get on top of these urges to eat too much. I'd like to encourage anyone to not give up. Keep looking for answers until you find a way. Give something a try even if it doesn't look promising at first.

I am thankful to The China Study for making me change from vegetarian to vegan and extremely thankful to Dr McDougall for making his programme available for free online here. Jeff Novick's calorie density helped me to lose most of the weight by eating large amounts of low calorie food and for the last kgs I learned to control my urges and cravings and to scale back my portions with KensCircus's information and the book You are not your brain by J. Schwartz.

Thanks to everyone who gave encouragement. I wouldn't have succeeded without this site and people sharing their experiences. So now I'm no longer a plump Erbse (pea in German) :-D but a skinny bean pole. :lol:

ETA: How could I forget to give credit to Nettie for setting me on the path with her post about Rational Recovery and the book The Feast Beast? I had read one of the RR books when Nettie first posted about it and in her second post she also mentioned Brain over Binge[/i. On that author's website I found the recommendation for the [i]You are not your brain book. That book helped me beat the urges to eat too much. Nettie also copied out a huge amount of information from the Feast Beast book for me. Thank you so much, Nettie !!
Last edited by Erbse on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Erbse
Erbse

Re: Reached my goal weight

Postby Hopingthisworks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:24 am

That's great, congratulations on reaching your goal :thumbsup:

I think this way of eating will make it easier to not put the weight up again (a common problem with a lot of weight-loss diets). I started this way of eating primarily for health reasons, but I am hoping it will also help me not have to worry about my weight as well.
Hopingthisworks

Postby Starchyme » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:16 pm

Congratulations!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby ch47gunnergirl1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Congrats on reaching your goal, and a wish for many more years continued good health as a result!
ch47gunnergirl1

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:33 pm

Well done. I hope you keep on posting.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:47 pm

Congrats! :-)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby AnnGriff » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:35 pm

Way to go!!! Every testimony I read is such an encouragement. I think I'll go check that book out also.
Andrea
AnnGriff

Postby kalina » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:20 am

Great going!! Congrats!!
kalina

Postby PineappleTraci » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:03 am

Erbse, I also want to say congratulations on getting to that wonderful place where you like what you eat and like what you weigh! Doesn't it feel awesome?

I should also mention that the whole time I've been coming to these boards, every time I've seen your name, I've said to myself, "Damn, what the heck does Erbse mean again?" (because I spent some time living in Germany in my pre-adult years), but was always too lazy to go look it up. So thanks for the translation!

(PS - Can I have a cool German nickname too? I'm gonna nickname myself "Die weisse Spargel" and God help anyone who tells me it's not cool or even grammatically correct. :) )

Peace out . . . .
PineappleTraci

Postby rebecca » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:14 pm

Good for you! So happy you are at your goal weight. :D
rebecca

Postby Vegankit » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Fabulous news - congratulations on becoming a skinny bean pole instead of a round pea.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby LoriLynn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Thanks for sharing! It is really nice to see someone overcome the struggle and reach their goal. You have inspired me.
LoriLynn

Postby Erbse » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:36 pm

Thank you so much everyone for your being happy for me, very much appreciated. It means so much to me.
Erbse
Erbse

Postby ~Beth~ » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Congratulations on reaching your goal!

Start date: Sept 25, 2012
~Beth~

Postby viv » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:13 pm

Congratulations Erbse!

Your journey is very inspirational. I have recently joined the McDougallers, so successes like yours are very encouraging!

Best wishes.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories