Reached my goal weight

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Reached my goal weight

Postby Erbse » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:05 pm

LynnCS wrote:A very big congratulations. You are an inspiration. As a newish person to this WOE...I will always remember this post of success. Thanks, also for the references that helped you. I am going to look them up. I'm finally 100% on the McDougall program and it has been hard to turn this head around. I'm going to try to find your previous posts. Do you have a particular place I can search? Thank you again for sharing this wonderful moment. Lynn

Thank you so much, Lynn. I kept a journal of the last ~14kg here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=30785
Erbse
Erbse

Postby Julia » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Congrats Erbse.

I have just looked at the Brain over binge book on Amazon and was fascinated. You can only buy it on Kindle which I don't have. Could you just briefly say what her secret was? What did she change in her brain to stop the urges?

Many thanks
Julia
Julia

Postby Erbse » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:21 pm

Julia wrote:Congrats Erbse.

I have just looked at the Brain over binge book on Amazon and was fascinated. You can only buy it on Kindle which I don't have. Could you just briefly say what her secret was? What did she change in her brain to stop the urges?

Many thanks
Julia

Thanks Julia.
I haven't actually read the BOB book. Nettie might chime in here as I think she has. All I did was look at the BOB author's website and read the discussion forum postings.
http://www.brainoverbinge.com/Pages/default.aspx

On that discussion forum someone mentioned the Jeffery Schwartz book You are not your brain and I used the method described in the book to overcome the urges. I don't know if the author in Brain over Binge gives any details on how she overcame her urges. From memory, someone mentioned that she "detached' herself from the urge?

I learned from the You are not your brain book that the urge comes, you acknowledge the urge and then you just leave it "sitting" there while you go about your business. After a while it will start to fade. (There is lots more info in the book).

You must never give in to it as if you do, you strengthen the pathway and make the urge stronger. By not acting on the urge, you don't reinforce the pathways/habit and it will weaken over time.
That has been my experience.

Not acting on the urge is easier if you think about two things:
1) if you give in, you make it stronger (and harder for yourself)
2) it's only really hard at the beginning. The longer you don't indulge the urges, the easier it gets, as they get weaker. So you won't have to "white knuckle" it forever.

Let us know how you get on.
Erbse

PS Also make sure that your life is full and satisfying. It helps to have lots of fun and satisfying things to do, as it takes the focus off food.
Erbse
Erbse

Postby ninamercedes » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:14 pm

GOOD JOB at reaching your goal weight, that is awesome!!!!
Every medication has a side effect.
ninamercedes

Postby PineappleTraci » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:53 pm

Erbse wrote:Not acting on the urge is easier if you think about two things:
1) if you give in, you make it stronger (and harder for yourself)
2) it's only really hard at the beginning. The longer you don't indulge the urges, the easier it gets, as they get weaker. So you won't have to "white knuckle" it forever.

Well said, and so true!

This is the secret of just about everything we're doing here, summed up nicely in about four sentences. :)
PineappleTraci

Previous

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories