Blood pressure since going plant based...

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Blood pressure since going plant based...

Postby astronaut23 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Checked my blood pressure tonight on the machine in the supermarket and it read 102 over 73....lowest I've ever seen...my blood pressure was usually 130 over 80 something till I went plant based diet and it had been like anywhere from 110s to 120s since going plant based.

What causes blood pressure to drop eating whole foods plant based? Arteries cleaning out?
astronaut23

Re: Blood pressure since going plant based...

Postby astronaut23 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:00 pm

And my blood sugar was 93 tonight 1 hr after eating black rice and vegetables... :)
astronaut23

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:22 pm

It is almost hard to believe. The results of eating this way speak for themselves.

Great job on lowering your BP and BS.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby astronaut23 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:49 pm

Yep, the first time I tried brown rice it shot my sugars all the way up to 190 and tonight I had brown rice and my 1 hr reading was 103 after eating like 170 carbs at supper according to what I put in cronometer...103 blood sugar reading after 170 carbs? are you kidding me :) thats more carbs in one meal that I used to eat in 5 days doing Dr. Richard Bernsteins 30 carbs a day low carb diabetes diet...2 hr reading was 98 so not nearly the bad postprandial rise after eating that it caused the first day I tried eating starches and I've not been on this plan long...I was scared of eating carbs as a type 2 diabetic when I started this but I hope the trend continues and its really like Dr. Barnard says and that over time the insulin resistance will go away as you purge the fat out of your bodies cells that is "gumming up the locks" causing the insulin not to work.

IE I hope this way of eating will continue to improve health over time. After all thats why I gave it a shot because I want to reverse diabetes if possible not just treat symptoms...and thats what carb restriction is treating symptoms trying to limit blood sugar spikes.
astronaut23

Postby astronaut23 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:11 am

Ok this morning my blood sugar was 113 1 hr after eating a cup of oatmeal with 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and a big banana and unsweetened almond milk and also I had a nectarine...so 180 carbs at one meal according to chronometer...

The two hrs post prandial was 75...are you kidding me?...

I'm gonna stick to this way of eating...I'm enjoying a greater variety of foods than I was eating on low carb diet and I know this is healthier for the heart no contest...

Plant based nutrition bland?...no way I enjoy my oatmeal and fruit for breakfast each morning way better than eating a half pound of grass fed hamburger, 6 carbs of spinach, and 3 tablespoons of kerrygold grassfed butter. I have little doubt that my heart is thanking me.

I had no idea that as a type 2 diabetic I could enjoy all these rich carbohydrate foods and keep normal blood sugar....:) You can as long as cut all the animal fat and cholesterol out of the diet along with veggie oils too...:)
astronaut23

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories