Metabolic Effects of a Starch Based Diet...

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Metabolic Effects of a Starch Based Diet...

Postby geo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi Jewegar...try the first post in this thread. :D Also a couple more in my star mcdougaller story in my sig :lol:
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby Rick Over » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:39 am

@geo, what is roughly the quantity you are eating ? how much starch (in cups) and fruits/vegetables ? any idea of how many calories you eat in a day ?
Recovering cancer and fighting obesity.
My testimonial:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=40480
Rick Over

Postby geo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:07 am

Hey Rick Over, that seems to be a perennial question. If you've read through my original one year journal, I try not to give amounts, because the idea behind this woe is that you eat unlimited food, until your are satisfied. I did not want to give anyone the idea that I was somehow limiting myself on portion sizes to lose weight. That was simply not the case :) I ate as much as I wanted always.

After the year experiment, I found I was eating between 1700-1800 Calories a day, and was NEVER hungry. I generally had 3 meals a day and 2 snacks. Snacks generally were a piece of fruit or two. In terms of energy usage, I seemed to need about 100 Calories per waking hour to fuel my activities and not be hungry.

I hate cooking so I found myself eating what Jeff Novick refers too as his SNAP meals. I basically spent no more than 10mins per meal cooking and took anywhere from 30-40 mins to leisurely eat the meals. My meals were generally as follows:

Breakfast - a single serving of oatmeal or other whole grain hot cereal with a teaspoon of sugar and occasionally some berries
Snack - piece of fruit - banana/apple/orange/grapes/etc (if the fruit was small I might eat 2 pieces)
Lunch - usually 1 or 2 baked potatoes and a sweet potato and about 16-20 Oz of veggies (usually a stir fry variety) covered in a salsa type sauce.
Snack - more fruit
Dinner - similar to lunch, may sub out a cup or two of brown rice for the potatoes with maybe a piece of fruit for desert.

Note: if I wasn't feeling hungry I would skip the fruit/snacks. if I was still feeling hungry I might add another potato or more rice or maybe a 1/4-1/2 cup of beans on occasion. Bottomline was that I was always aware of how much I was eating, but I never purposely limited portions. I always ate till I felt full/satisfied...not stuffed!

You can see a typical platefull of what I ate for lunch and Dinner here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36252

What I found interesting is that I was always a "volume" eater and I still eat a lot today. Most people that see me eat wonder how I can eat so much and still lose weight. They simply do not understand that the calorie density of everything I eat is very low. I would find it quite difficult to even eat more simply because the foods are already so filling. Just one last point, I probably ate at least 4-5 lbs of food everyday.
geo

geo

Postby geo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:20 am

Hey PerryB! I find the intermittant fasting topic interesting. Not as an aid to wright loss but as an aid to breaking food addictions and getting your body into a more "natural" eating pattern. Historically, we ate when we were hungry and could find food. That means our meals would most likely be very sporadic over time with some days probably getting almost nothing and others days maybe happening on some large fruit trees or berry bushes or patches of greens and tubers we could stuff ourselves on. I would think a nomadic lifestyle was necessary to ensure that a steady supply of food could be found. Intermittant fasting tries to simulate this in a very artificial way, while still trying to fit into some societal norms of eating times.

For myself I found I really didn't need breakfast most days, it was just ritual to have it. I think 2 meals a day would be quite possible for me. I've never tried one meal per day and not sure I could wolf down that much food at one time based on what I currently eat. I would be afraid that I would start adding higher calorie density foods and that would definitely lead me to the pleasure trap.

I would really love to get to the point of simply eating when I was hungry and move completely away from rigid eating schedules that only seem to ensure you stay addicted to eating in a set pattern. This is all just stuff I've been thinking about this year and may start yet another journal on it just to see if I can make it work. I really enjoy these kinds of experiments. Oh well, Jan 1 is fast approaching, time to start thinking about what new things I can try to enhance my health even more :-)
geo

geo

Postby Rick Over » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi Geo, thank you for your detailed answer.
In fact I'm eating more than you. I should be around 2000-2200 calories a day.
Hope it will work too ;-)
Thanks.
Recovering cancer and fighting obesity.
My testimonial:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=40480
Rick Over

Postby theresam » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:26 pm

WOW!!!! Thank you Geo for your detailed testimony! Very very inspiring!! Perry you said this, "I prefer to eat most of my calories in one meal with a second smaller meal and a sometimes snack." I am finding this also, as I continue on this path. A late breakfast, and huge meal about 3-4 pm is what my body wants then really nothing else the rest of the day. This is especially true if I eat a bunch of greens with breakfast, which is usually oatmeal with fruit or buckwheat with beans, along with the greens for both. This is the pattern my body is settling into. Very interesting.
theresam

Postby Willijan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:54 pm

What a great post, Geo, and really inspiring.
For those of us still eating maybe a little too much sugar, salt and almond butter, it would be really interesting to have more detail of your diet, both as you were losing weight, and now that you are there--looking really good, too!
My weight was already normal when I started (5 ft 5 in, 127 lbs), but I would like to lose a few pounds. I am reducing the three things mentioned above. But what did you do with salt, sugar and allowed fats?
Willijan

Postby geo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:05 am

Hi willijan, thank you for the comments.

I followed the MWL program strictly. So I limited sugar to just a few teaspoons a day, for oatmeal and such. As for salt, I cut back on the shaker but did not really try too hard to limit it. Added fats were definitely not allowed on the MWL. The key to it all is simply compliance and consistancy over time :)
geo

geo

Postby Rhythm » Fri May 13, 2016 12:00 am

Thank you for responding to today's 5/12/2016 thread I started
about high fat vegan possibilities. I read your success story.
You are great :-D

Every reason for me to start the MWL program this instant.
I have been doing a whole food plant based diet plan for one year,
this month. So meat and dairy are finally out of my life.
I have lost 35 pounds during the nine months since July 2015.

Started TSS two weeks ago.
Have been plateaued at the same weight.
Not happy about it, but am sure it's my fault.

I'm going to print out the MWL food list and follow it 100%.

Cheers. Rhythm.
Type-2 for 15 years. A1C at 7. Humulin-N, Humulin-R and Metformin.
Lost 30 pounds following WFPB plan since 6/2015.
4/2016 I've 30 pounds to go. Went from a BMI-34 to a BMI-31.
5/1/2016 began The Starch Solution nutrition plan. Want off meds.
Rhythm

Postby Vera » Mon May 16, 2016 3:14 pm

Amazing story and very impressive results! Congratulations! :)
Geo, do you eat breads at all? When you were talking about your daily meals I did not see any breads included.
Vera

Postby geo » Mon May 16, 2016 7:05 pm

Thanks Vera! I followed the MWL program strictly, it does not allow for any flour based products like breads (exception is tortilla). So no I ate no breads, which surprised me as I used to eat breads at every meal and I was afraid that was going to be hard to break. But after about 2 weeks I really had no problems eating the MWL food.
geo

geo

Postby Werner1950 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:26 pm

Geo, after reaching your goal, you stuck to the MWL plan? Do you find you start gaining weight back if you don't? OH, sorry, I just read your last post more closely. I now see you wrote that in past tense.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby geo » Mon May 16, 2016 9:19 pm

Yes I still eat per MWL with tweaks per Jeff's principles/guidelines/recommendations. I eat ~1700-1800 Calories a day to maintain weight. I eat a large volume of food ~5lbs/day. which generally consists of about 3 lbs of starches and 2 lbs veggies/fruit. I generally don't eat nuts/seeds at all except for the occasional TBS flax seed in my oatmeal.

I eat MWL because its affords me the greatest quantity of food I enjoy eating and is the best program for provideing optimal nutrition.

I recommend everyone read the MWL Book and Jeff's FAQ's and info in his forum, you dont need anything more than that to succeed.
geo

geo

Postby Vera » Tue May 17, 2016 10:00 am

Thank you Geo. Bread is my weakness. If I start I seem not to be able to stop, and the amount of bread keeps getting bigger every day. Also, I don't know what is it but it seems like every piece of bread that I've ever ate stays with me forever sticking to my body :) It's been this way since my childhood. My mom still remembers me begging for a piece of bread in between the meals... hope I will survive without it. At least for awhile. I have another 50 lb to go.
Vera

Postby docscience » Thu May 26, 2016 9:02 am

I have one question. When you eat any bread, what do you put on it ??
I sometimes eat bread, but do not put anything on it. If the bread does not taste good by itself, you are eating the wrong type of bread, or you are eating when you are not hungry.
I really HATE my profile picture, but it reminds me to watch my eating. For me, that is a good motivator.
MyTest results viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39555
5'8" , started- sept. 2013 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
docscience

PreviousNext

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories