Metabolic Effects of a Starch Based Diet...

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Metabolic Effects of a Starch Based Diet...

Postby ~Beth~ » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:32 pm

Thanks for posting this.

What an inspiration

Start date: Sept 25, 2012
~Beth~

Postby kirstykay » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:20 am

Fantastic story, and such impressive pictures and numbers! Congratulations on restoring your health! Thanks for sharing. :nod:
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby McDgirl » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:37 am

Geo - you are AMAZING!! What an inspiration!!! You look great. I'm going to show these photos to a friend who needs badly to lose weight, but won't even look at the McDougall diet. I think she prefers one that's going to allow her to keep eating meat and high amounts of fat and processed food. Maybe if she sees these results, she'll give it a try and (finally) have success herself.
McDgirl

Postby landog » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:46 am

Way to go!!!
What do your friends say??

Thank you for posting this!
landog

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:32 pm

landog wrote:Way to go!!!
What do your friends say??

I'll bet they say he's "too thin." Ask me how I know! :lol:
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby evangelin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:58 pm

Geo,
I am so impressed. Thank you very much for sharing your results. The pictures are really more motivating to me than words. The labwork is jaw dropping. I can barely tell you are the same person. We are definitely fearfully and wonderfully made.
I was also touched by your loving comments about your wife in your journal. I have been reviewing them ;-)
Thanks again,
Eva
evangelin

Postby Atheria » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:10 am

Congrats and great job! You are unrecognizable as the same person! I hope you can inspire others...

Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby geo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:15 am

Thank you everyone for your kind words. A lot of you said I don't look like the same person, much as do my co-workers and friends that I see infrequently, but it really is me :)

Also I wanted to say I've received my results from my heart and vascular testing I took a couple weeks ago. They pretty much say what I expected.

I have "mild" blockages in my right and left neck aorta. But I have no blockages in my abdominal artery or in either descending leg artery. The first time I took the test in 2009 I showed mild blockage in my right neck artery only and was told it was about 25% blocked.

This time they would not give me a percentage but just simply said that its very mild. The range for a "mild" reading is from 1-29% blockage. Yeah thats a pretty rough reading.

Unfortunately, they would not give me a more exact reading than that which kind of defeats my purposes. I can't tell if my current very mild blockage is better or worse than my previous mild (25%) blockage. And of course this time I had some in my left neck artery as well which tells me that I continued to progress with cvd for another 3 years of eating SAD since my initial test.

The bottomline is that I was rated in excellent health and the mild blockages were perfectly normal for a male my age.

They also did an ECG, which this time they called "abnormal". In 2009 I had a normal ecg with a pulse of 88 which they thought was OK (I knew though that was way high for me).

This time my pulse rate was a very low 45 average with peaks going slower over the 10 mins or so they tested me. They felt that anything below 60 beats per min was "abnormal". Despite my explaining to them that I had a naturally low pulse rates all my life, except for when I was obese. In fact my rate now is as it was when I was a teen and at my best health and activity levels. I even told them that I exercise 7 days a week but they didn't seem to hear that or care.

What I didn't tell them that what also may have helped my rate be so low was that I purposely meditated while laying on the table :D I ususally get "White Coat Syndrome" whenever in the doctors office so this time as I layed on the table I simply closed my eyes and meditated quietly as I do everyday. I guess it worked maybe too well :lol:

Oh well, I'm happy over all with the results. I'm debating on whether I want to take those tests again as the results are just not fine enough to tell me how I'm progressing in my health. If anyone knows of a better test (non-invasive of course) that can give me more accurate measurements of arterial blockages I'd like know about it.

Other than that my ecg was perfectly normal and looked "stronger" than I had in 2009 according to the doc, whatever that really means.

Again thanks everyone for all the comments, it really makes the past year worth it and hopefully some of you will be motivated to continue in this lifestyle...I know I am...and I've started a new journal to cover another year, this time focusing on increasing fitness and this woe :)
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby greentea » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Wow! Congrats on your success! Thanks for posting your story Geo.
greentea

Postby peasouper » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:48 am

Geo, I have followed your journal and am truly amazed at your before and after photo. You look like a different person. What an inspiration for others!

I am looking forward to following your new journal, I can predict future success with the vascular testing in the year to come.

Well done!

Sue X
peasouper

Postby yarnpetter » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:54 am

Amazing Geo! Congrats on seeing positive results from all your hard work and consistency.
yarnpetter

Postby viv » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:39 am

Geo,

You are awesome! Many, many congratulations. You are an inspiration-(and a wonderful writer).

You could be the poster-child (man) for preventative medicine and help turn this country's health crisis around!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby cowgirlup » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:02 pm

Wow, Geo, you made my day seeing what you have accomplished. Bravo! Where can I read your journal and I love that you posted every day what you did and ate..inspirational..you are definitely a Star Mcdougaller!!!!
"Eat roots, stems, seeds, flowers, fruit and leaves"
T. Colin Campbell author of the China Study
cowgirlup

Postby geo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:13 pm

Thank you cowgirlup! My original one year journal is here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27969

My followup journal is in my sig below in the journal forum.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:27 am

geo wrote:Thank you cowgirlup! My original one year journal is here: http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic ... 21&t=27969

My followup journal is in my sig below in the journal forum.

Actually, it's not! You have no link in your siggy. :)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

PreviousNext

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories