Vegan and barefoot runner improved vision at age 50

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vegan and barefoot runner improved vision at age 50

Postby RandyKreill » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:13 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDqSxTKJ2Is

Above is a new video I just put out relative to eye health and eye exercises!

And... below... Nutritional Karma!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPEU1AyOQQo

Hope you enjoy, happy trails...

Randy
RandyKreill

Re: Vegan and barefoot runner improved vision at age 50

Postby ch47gunnergirl1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Great videos, I think there really must be something to "going barefoot." In the summer I spend all my time at home and in the yard that way, makes (me) feel grounded and refreshed. I haven't ever tried rock climbing barefoot (my summer form of exercise along with kayaking) but I think for that sport I need my shoes, I can envision bloody stumps without them. :lol: But if I were a runner, which I am most definitely not, I think I would prefer barefoot running to with shoes.
ch47gunnergirl1

Postby ninamercedes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:13 pm

my eyesight got better as I started eating better. My prescription actually changed and got better.
Every medication has a side effect.
ninamercedes

Postby amgmmg » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:25 am

This is so interesting. Would love to try the running barefoot. Maybe I start running at the beach.
amgmmg

Postby theresaann » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:25 am

I used to run barefoot in my 20's, just because I liked to. It felt invigorating and freeing!
theresaann

Postby Ruff » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:57 pm

In the summer I run barefoot at the beach all the time. I wear trail shoes in winter and on the trails. I know some trail runners run barefoot but I am too much of a wimp!

In NZ people often wear no shoes at all in summer.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby ajhondrngal » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:14 am

I've been thinking about trying barefoot (or near barefoot) running. Tomorrow I hope to check into zero drop shoes. I used to go barefoot all the time in the summer and still do most of the time. Even flip flops make my feet feel hot in the summer. I'm a minimalist kind of gal when it comes to shoes.

Eyes...the weird thing is that my bifocals broke recently so I pulled out the last pair I had that were non-bifocal. Once I got used to the small prescription change I can't tell a difference. I haven't gone in yet because these are fine and I haven't the money right now. It will be interesting to see if my eyes really are getting better.

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Postby Brockwurst » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:46 pm

I own a pair of Vibram FiveFingers. I've tried running in them, but found I'm still too heavy to run comfortably. Barefoot or with the new "minimalist" running shoes, it is SO important to use forefoot planting as opposed to heal. Be forewarned, though, you will be SO sore afterwards due to a whole new set of muscles being used! Ease into it GRADUALLY! I have about 30 more pounds to loose before I attempt running again, but when I do, I'll be using my FiveFingers!
Brockwurst

Postby ninamercedes » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:37 pm

One of my goals is to run 3 miles a day.

I always wondered about running barefoot, I like to go around barefoot as much as possible.

The shoes you mentioned sound interesting.
Every medication has a side effect.
ninamercedes

Postby Acura » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:03 pm

If you were to run barefoot, where would you run it? On black top? on grass? How does it help eyes? because you are more attentive, you watch for any foreign objects, your eyes are constantly attentive or some nerves get pinched more like an acupuncture.
CC
Acura

Postby eXtremE » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:58 am

Good video. Thanks for sharing. It makes sense that your vision would improve from eating the plant based diet for the reasons you cited in the video but I don't see how running barefoot would have that much of an impact. i was a long distance runner for over a decade but always wore shoes. Going barefoot would have slowed me down considerably but then I think of the great Ethiopian runner Abebe Bikila, who won a marathon gold medal in the 1960 Summer Olympics while running barefoot....an incredible feat still to this day.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby amgmmg » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:33 pm

Do you actually run barefoot, or you use those sandals that you show in your video?
amgmmg

Postby WendyLady » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:38 pm

I had to give up running in my early 20s from knee & hip pain.

In my early 30s I was able to resume it - because I went barefoot - and had none of the joint problems! Except for when I tried to go too far too fast, LOL.

Running shoes have a heel and unnatural supports that force you into an unhealthy gait and don't allow your foot to move naturally.

I've gone to barefoot shoes because I have to run inside most of the year - and treadmill belts get REALLY HOT, did you know?? :lol:

I broke my foot wearing HEELS. And right now I'm on a tear about how horrible high heels are, but how rare it is to find flats that are actually pretty, and not frumpy. I'm looking at a pile of fifteen pairs of beautiful heels here in my bedroom, trying to work up the courage to just THROW THEM AWAY. Got any suggestions for pretty flat shoes???
My foot is broken :\ and I'm in a big dumb boot. Can't wait for this thing to come off and be able to get back at it!
WendyLady

Postby Vegankit » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:30 am

Brockwurst wrote:I own a pair of Vibram FiveFingers.
LOL I tried those on but can't stand anything between my toes. Instead I buy Merrel's barefoot running shoes which have the vibram sole. I don't run - I wear them for walking or hiking in the woods. I will never go back to the old fashioned constricting running shoe.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Werner1950 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:34 am

Vegankit wrote:
Brockwurst wrote:I own a pair of Vibram FiveFingers.
LOL I tried those on but can't stand anything between my toes. Instead I buy Merrel's barefoot running shoes which have the vibram sole. I don't run - I wear them for walking or hiking in the woods. I will never go back to the old fashioned constricting running shoe.

Groan. I wish I could run. I have a sciatic nerve problem and cannot to any jumping or running. I hope over the long run I will be able to do some jogging. Right now I am only doing 20-30 minute walks per day.That's all my back can handle.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories