A Different Kind of Success Story

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

A Different Kind of Success Story

Postby dinny » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:25 am

I love the dramatic results people see when they adopt this WOE--heart disease reversed, diabetes medications stopped, etc. It's truly amazing what diet can do. My success story is a little different.

I've been off and on with this diet for a few years, but I'd never given it 100 percent compliance. I kept things like peanut butter and vegan butter. My health is good and I'm only about 10 pounds overweight so I didn't have enough incentive to be that strict. One month ago today I decided to give it another shot--my goal was to be at least 90% compliant, and to drop the peanut butter and vegan butter. I also dropped flour products.

Well, I've been about 95% compliant and in one month I've lost 5 pounds, which is great, but even better is the way I look and feel! So much more alive! Now I'm hardly even tempted by off-plan foods; I don't want to give up the way I look and feel for a few short minutes of eating something. Never in a million years did I think I would be able to say no to bread or pretzels!

I keep my eating simple---oatmeal, brown rice, potatoes, veggies, fruit, beans...and I love it! I eat as much as I want, I never go hungry, and I've found that most of the time this way of eating has caused my cravings for non-plan foods to go away. Love it!
dinny

Re: A Different Kind of Success Story

Postby jewagar » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:17 am

x
Last edited by jewagar on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want peace, be sure everyone's dignity is intact." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu
jewagar

Postby ronald11103 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Congrats Dinny!

Ron in Oregon
ronald11103

Postby veggie lover » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:50 am

Congrats to you!!
veggie lover

Postby f1jim » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Great results and just one more testimony for plunging into the program with both feet. Yours is another is a very long line of similar stories told by many who only partially got on board then tried a stretch of very close adherence and the results kicked in. Your experience is what Dr. McDougall told us we should expect when truly following the program.
I'm still waiting for the post that reads "Yes I am only 50% on board and the results have been amazing" Perhaps when that happens I'll be a little less enthusiastic for getting on board very adherently.
You are doing great so keep going and let all the positive things flow from it.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby TerriT » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:13 pm

What a great story, Dinny, and I found something similar happened to me. I was about 90% compliant for a couple of years, but when I decided to really get on board with the program a year ago I found my energy levels increased noticeably. I think oil and other fatty foods had been making me feel sluggish for years and I'd never made the connection before. You're right, feeling great really is the best motivation for sticking with the program.
TerriT

Postby Pudgypumpkin » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:47 pm

Great success, this really does work if you let it.

Pudgypumpkin
Pudgypumpkin - who is working on becoming a Sleekleek!
One potato, two potato, three potato, four - I'm a McDougalling Starchivore!
Pudgypumpkin

Postby anni m » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 pm

my story is similar, mcdougall "reader" for years, actually decades, and have been low fat vegan for the past 6 years, but was not motivated to go for the maximum weight loss program since i could somewhat control weight with exercise as i love to be active. but i always felt like my most comfortable weight eluded me.

my husband and i are currently "on the road" for about a year since i retired from 911 dispatching. this opportunity to travel has been a great transition and has given me time to finally take the step to commit to 100% compliance to the mwl program so that i can finally feel comfortable in my own skin, and be a good role model to those i hope to encourage. as we travel all around the U.S., it is painfully obvious that there is a crying need for changes in our (U.S. population) eating and exercise habits. i hope to do some kind of volunteer work that addresses that need once we settle again.

it seemed like it would be challenging to eat 100% mwl (my husband is very much a SAD eater though accepting of my dietary needs) while on the road, but i've been really enjoying keeping it simple using jeff novick's recipes, and tips i've found on this forum, like the sweet potato dessert, and the brown bag microwaved popcorn-- yum!

we don't carry a scale as "real estate" is scarce in our camper van, but i feel like i've lost some pounds already, and my clothes are feeling looser! the best part is the lack of cravings at night, which has always been my downfall. i started listening to hypnosis type audio stuff as i fall asleep at night and that seems to add a dimension that is really helpful.

i've had the luxury of spending hours reading on these forums, and it's been so helpful and inspirational! i hope this post begins another transition for me from lurker to more frequent poster!

anni m (i've a feeling we're not in kansas anymore!)
anni m

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories