Testimony But Not A Success Story

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Testimony But Not A Success Story

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:55 am

f1jim wrote:There is a social cost to eating this way. It's not easy to eat out on this program. Finding people willing to put up with your "extreme" needs in food can be challenging to. For many, the social costs of the program outweigh the health benefits, though it may sound hard to believe.

I agree that this is an issue for many. It's important for the OP to bear in mind, though, that while eating together has been something that people have done since there have been people, it's only recently that every single meal was expected to taste awesome or that people had much choice at all in what they ate. Through much of the 19th century, most people were what we would consider "poor," although they might not. They had enough to eat and a roof over their heads. They ate what was in season and didn't expect their meals to blow them away. There were, at most, 3 feasts a year where there was more choice, a few delicacies, etc.

So when people ate together they were doing it in order to spend time together, and NOT to have a fantastic culinary experience.

These days we have "foodies" who obsess about all the ins and outs of cooking and ingredients, who expect every meal to be an experience, and who choose retaurants based on who the cool chef is.

If that is your focus, switching to this WOE can be hard, b/c this WOE is about good food, but it's simpler food for the most part.

But we do enjoy it when we get out because we have really strict guidelines we keep to. Even that is second nature now. But I'm not going to fool myself into thinking I have full control of my food. I know that when someone else controls the restaurant pantry and stoves I am the least bit in control. I believe aiming for 100% really means I am somewhat less than that in restaurants. How much less? Even with very strict menu scanning and good working relationships with the restaurant staff I figure I'm probably in the 95% range.

Absolutely. And this is why you (and I) eat out a lot less than we used to. Doesn't mean you can't do it--just means you do it with care and accept the fact that 95% of restaurants are now off limits to you. That leaves a few good ones that will accomodate you, and your good friends will understand that!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Previous

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories