Good Protein Levels

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

good protein levels

Postby jld » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:12 am

My husband asked me to post this, as he thinks it is a testament to the wisdom of this diet.

Three and a half years ago, our son, then 10, was diagnosed with AML (acute myeloid leukemia). He spent four months in the hospital getting chemo and a bone marrow transplant. Things went well for over three years . . .

And then in October, he relapsed.

He went through another round of chemo, and then total body irradiation, and finally, around the middle of Dec., had another bone marrow transplant. He is now 7 weeks out from the BMT, and the doctor and nurse practitioner are very pleased with how well he is doing. The doctor told me they normally reduce meds around day 100, but for our son, they are already doing it.

While he was an inpatient, the nurses and doctors were commenting regularly on how well he ate. The nurse practitioner in that unit told me she wished she could clone him.:) And a few days ago, the nurse practitioner he is now seeing asked me about our diet. She said she knew we ate well, and that we didn't eat any animal products, and what has impressed her most is how good my son's protein levels are. She said many children don't eat at all after a BMT, or make poor choices ("Too many carbs," she said, lol), and they rarely see blood protein levels as good as my son's. But what she couldn't figure out, she said, is where we get our protein?

Giggle, giggle. Sigh.

I said that all food has protein, and that Americans consume more than they need to, and that the WHO recommends a lower level than we might guess. She wanted to know what my son eats, and we told her that he had just eaten banana bread for breakfast, would eat pasta with tomato sauce for lunch, and had had brown rice, stir-fried veggies and steamed sweet potatoes for dinner the night before. She said she just had to ask because his blood tests are consistently good, and she would like to pass along what we're doing to other patients' families.

I don't know if she'll actually share that info with anyone, because I don't know how many people would seriously consider this diet, especially when they're already so stressed by their child's cancer. But you never know. And she mentioned she would like her family to eat healthier, too.

I think we never know, when we share about this WOE, who might be ready to hear it.
A clean life is its own reward.
jld

Re: good protein levels

Postby faithfirst » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:37 pm

What a wonderful post. Your family is a wonderful testament to this way of eating...and I'll bet he loves that banana bread! Can you share the recipe?

Here's prayers that your son comes home soon.
faithfirst

Postby jld » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:13 pm

Sure, faithfirst. It is from the Yummly site.

Mash 4 ripe bananas and add 2/3 cup sugar, 1 t vanilla and 4 T water. In another bowl mix 2 cups ww flour with 1 t baking powder. Mix together and bake at 350 in an 8x8 pan for 40-50 minutes, or maybe more, depending on your oven. Sometimes we add other fruit, like blueberries, to it.

He's home from the hospital, but we do have to go back twice a week. He was really happy to come home.:)
jld

Postby faithfirst » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:06 pm

Thank you so much! Right now I'm avoiding breads because of the caloric density, but I will definitely make this for my husband. Sounds very yummy. (I might have just a teeny slice).
faithfirst

Postby faithfirst » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:07 pm

So glad you have your son back home with you.
faithfirst

Postby plants-and-carbs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:28 pm

Your husband was right, great idea.

I enjoyed reading that.

Hope his health continues to steadily improve.

My best to you all.
plants-and-carbs

Postby jld » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:36 am

Thank you, plants-and-carbs.
jld

Re: Good Protein Levels

Postby ~Beth~ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Can you clarify if it's one tablespoonful or teaspoonful of baking powder? Just wanted to be sure I got it right.

Start date: Sept 25, 2012
~Beth~

Postby ~Beth~ » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Well, I tried the above recipe with 1 tsp baking powder and it turned out pretty good. A very heavy moist banana bread. I baked it for 50 minutes and it was pulling away from the edges of the pan.

~Beth~

Postby jld » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:07 am

Hi, Beth. Sorry to be late to respond; I just saw this. Yes, it's one teaspoon. And yes, it does tend to be a dense banana bread.
jld

Postby ~Beth~ » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:17 am

It's nice to have a sweet snack that you don't have to feel excessively guilty about
:)

~Beth~

Postby FOKBeliever » Sat May 04, 2013 3:46 pm

jld wrote:Sure, faithfirst. It is from the Yummly site.

Mash 4 ripe bananas and add 2/3 cup sugar, 1 t vanilla and 4 T water. In another bowl mix 2 cups ww flour with 1 t baking powder. Mix together and bake at 350 in an 8x8 pan for 40-50 minutes, or maybe more, depending on your oven. Sometimes we add other fruit, like blueberries, to it.

He's home from the hospital, but we do have to go back twice a week. He was really happy to come home.:)

that sounds very yummy! (And I know you are thrilled about your son's progress. I hope he is maintaining and eventually is C-free!!) Do you know if I can substitute granulated sugar with agave nectar? I don't do well at all with sugar, but I do love banana bread. Thanks and God's blessings to you and your family.
FOKBeliever

Postby ~Beth~ » Sat May 04, 2013 9:19 pm

I googled and came up with this how to sub agave page
http://www.ehow.com/how_5553793_replace ... aking.html
or this one
http://www.allaboutagave.com/substituti ... sugars.php
My experience making this banana bread was that is is a very moist heavy bread so if you are going to add more liquid (agave) keep that in mind as stated in the above links

~Beth~

Postby jld » Sun May 05, 2013 7:20 pm

Thanks, FOKBeliever, for your good wishes.:) And thanks, Beth, for the agave nectar info.:)
jld

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories