Tiny success of the night!!!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Tiny success of the night!!!

Postby lulu_speg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:10 pm

My boyfriend and I do not subscribe to the same way of eating, but we regularly make bean tacos together (which he tops with cheese just before eating). Anyway he pulled out a can of refried beans that up until a week ago I thought was oil-free - turns out it has soybean oil in it. I said I was going to stop eating those beans, to which he responded, "But it's only a little bit of oil! You're being extreme..." :roll: Blahblahblah, I'm sure you all know how that goes.... :D

Anyway he pulled that same brand of beans (he'd forgotten about the oil) and I had a moment of weakness, thinking, "Oh geez, I really don't want to get into an argument right now...I could just make him tacos and refuse to eat them, or I can eat them too and feel like crap." Then I remembered I had cooked up a bunch of pinto beans and thrown them in the freezer a few weeks ago.

So I quickly got out all the fixings and pushed that infernal can of beans aside and got to work making my own "refried" pinto beans. He didn't look happy when he came down and saw that I was using plain old beans as opposed to the canned kind - and I'm sure I looked nervous as I toiled over the stove trying to make something from nothing with my collection of jarred jalapenos, hot sauces, seasonings, cilantro, tomatoes, and limes - but it was a SUCCESS! :D

He said they were delish and they cooked up within five minutes - about as long as the canned beans would have taken. So there's my small victory for the night, and now I'm feeling optimistic about my resolution to rely more on dried beans.

Take that oil! I've beaten you once again. :cool:
lulu_speg

Re: Tiny success of the night!!!

Postby Vegankit » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 am

Good job. :D
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby TerriT » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:36 am

Awesome! I think you'll find it just gets easier and easier. It took me awhile to remember to check all the labels before buying anything, and to fill up the pantry with lots of oil-free foods.
TerriT

Postby BroccoliForever » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:29 pm

lulu_speg wrote:But it's only a little bit of oil! You're being extreme..." :roll: Blahblahblah, I'm sure you all know how that goes.... :D

I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that exact same comment. Great job standing up for yourself in a positive way!
BroccoliForever

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories