The Plant Based Life Weigh In Results

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

The Plant Based Life Weigh In Results

Postby pblife » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Well my wife and I weighed in today for our 8 week weigh in. We were a bit disappointed after we had such success the first 4 weeks. But we were still in the negative numbers so we can't complain too much!

http://pblife.org/8-week-weight-loss-results/
Aaron and Dannielle Patterson
Our Website http://www.pblife.org
Our Email [email protected]
Our Story http://www.pblife.org/journey/
pblife

Re: The Plant Based Life Weigh In Results

Postby Waingapu » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:25 pm

pblife wrote:We were a bit disappointed after we had such success the first 4 weeks. But we were still in the negative numbers so we can't complain too much!
]

I'd think it fairly normal for the second 4 weeks to not be as dramatic as the first 4.
Keeping your eyes 44 weeks and 96 weeks down the road, I don't think there is much doubt that you'll be very pleased at the end of 2 years.

At some point you might want to begin using a "moving average" or "rolling average". Takes out the day to day ups and downs.
Either a 7 day or 10 day moving average.

A pound a week, over a year, is much more amazing than most folks give it credit. Compare that to the average person doing Weight Watchers who had lost and kept off 8 pounds after one year.
(Weight Watchers had the best average of the top programs tested in that study)

As time goes along even smaller increments of loss need to become appreciated or else you set yourself up for disappointment.

Keep heading in the right direction and you'll almost certainly get there.
Waingapu

Postby Norm » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:13 am

We really struggled this last 4 weeks. We ate out 5-6x the amount we did the 1st 4 weeks. We didn’t cheat but we ended up cooking less and eating less organic veggies and eating more pastas and bread. We are committed to getting back on track for the week 12 weigh in. But we are still happy we had losses (Aaron 8 lbs) and (Dannielle 3 lbs). We also plan on adding some exercise in, til this point we’ve done 0…..

I think this sums up why you had less loss the past 4 weeks. Given all this I'd be happy! Lower your pasta/bread intake, eat out less, add in some exercise, and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

-Norm
Norm

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:28 am

I agree with Norm. I'll bet you DID "cheat" when you ate out--it's very difficult to eat out w/out doing so unless you have plain salad or a baked potato w/ nothing on it or only oil free salsa or something. Anything else is bound to have oil in it.

Bear in mind, too, that the closer you get to your goal the slower the weight loss happens. Dannielle is probably getting w/in striking distance of a normal BMI. It's hard to tell since you don't post heights or BMIs.

Keep on keeping on, and stop eating out so much/eating so much bread and pasta, and you'll be fine!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby ronald11103 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:31 am

I agree with what's been said so far. Eating out 5-6x a week I would bet real money you ate a lot of fat (oil.) Restaurant cooks/chefs don't know how to cook without it. In fact, with most commercial cooking equipment, they probably can't unless they stock some non-stick pans. Most restaurants use a lot of aluminum pans and big steel griddles, both of which require oil.
Ron in Oregon
ronald11103

Postby pblife » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:33 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes the places we ate out at we were very anal about. We asked for the food be cooked without any dairy products or oil. One place said they couldn't, luckily they had sushi and we ate veggie sushi. The other places did in fact cook without oil as requested. Problem is there's no way to account for sugars and such. Plus mostly when we eat out we go for Asian or Mexican or Pizza. All of which can be done oil free and dairy free. We had salads a few times, I always eat mine dry (since I was a kid) and Dannielle used her stealth skills and brought her own in her pocketbook :) Nevertheless it was too much bread and pasta. So I'm going to try and up the veggies and exercise and see how it goes!

PS Ronald: we ate about 12x for the entire 4 weeks compared to only 2 times the 1st 4 weeks
pblife

Postby mountain » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:22 am

Sorry to tell you but pizza has oil in it. They grease the pans and they put oil into the mixer to get the dough out better...sticks less.
So even if you order oil free pizza, you will still get some oil.
mountain

Postby pblife » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:09 pm

mountain wrote:Sorry to tell you but pizza has oil in it. They grease the pans and they put oil into the mixer to get the dough out better...sticks less.
So even if you order oil free pizza, you will still get some oil.

We ate at an Organic Pizza place in Raleigh NC, It was awesome. They claim they used no oil in the dough and what not. But to be honest if it had a little it wouldn't concern me too much. I know when we make it at home there is none. And I can only trust when I ask someone at a restaurant not to use it, that they keep their word.

You can read every label in Whole Foods Market and there is practically oil in everything. I know Jeff Novick says keep fat calories at 20% of calories or less. That's actually pretty easy even with things that have oil in them. They may show 0g, .5g, or 1g, but they have less than 20% fat calories.

I know at Whole Foods Market. There are 2 loaves of bread you can buy with no oil. One is Ezekiel bread in the frozen section and the other (just found on Sunday) is the pumpernickel in their bakery (no oil or dairy products on ingredients list), So just as an example if you go for 100% no oil in anything you've just limited what you can eat by about 98% from things that would actually fit in the Jeff Novick 20% and under category.

Long story short, Were doing our best. Lots of information out there from a lot of respected people. Our main issue is we are horrible cooks so anything that can come semi prepared is better for our family. We've cooked more in the last 2 months than we did in the 1st 8 years of our marriage, that's the 100% truth! Hopefully what were doing will be enough to stay healthy and lose some weight that has held me down for many years!
pblife

Postby DangerousKiwi » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:31 pm

You're still doing great. Just make note of both failures and successes and move on with the rest of your life. Great blog, by the way!
DangerousKiwi

Postby ronald11103 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:01 am

pblife wrote:Our main issue is we are horrible cooks so anything that can come semi prepared is better for our family. We've cooked more in the last 2 months than we did in the 1st 8 years of our marriage, that's the 100% truth! Hopefully what were doing will be enough to stay healthy and lose some weight that has held me down for many years!

I find that the cooking part of this way of eating (WOE) is pretty easy but it's time consuming - it takes time to chop this, dice that......And the fluctuation are part of the normal process. Take my chart for example, shown below. Ups and downs, but in the end, the downs outway the ups!
Ron in Oregon
ronald11103

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:28 pm

pblife wrote:You can read every label in Whole Foods Market and there is practically oil in everything.

True--which is why it's best to buy things that don't need labels to tell you what's in them! Choose whole foods (the real thing--not the store!) and cook at home, and you'll be more successful, as well as healthier. ;)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby wolfhowl » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:55 pm

What a super website you have! I'm looking forward to exploring it when I have a little more time. BTW, I'm in the Raleigh-Durham area as well. It's a small world :)
Starting Weight 207
Current Weight 185.5
wolfhowl

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories