Holy cow, I actually did something social.

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Holy cow, I actually did something social.

Postby pamplemousse » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:38 pm

Here's another little victory I wanted to share! I'm just 7 days out of the 5-day program (so 12 days eating this way) and Friday night, I actually had both energy and inclination to go out with friends after work.

Which I haven't felt like doing for YEARS. I've been depressed, feeling unattractive, anxious and full of self-recrimination for how I was eating. And that all added up to running home after Friday's work and just holing up and trying to distract myself from how I was feeling with TV or online brain-drain activity.

And mind you, I'm still wearing the exact same size pants as when I started the 5-day. But my face isn't so puffy and I don't feel like an achy old grandma. I feel (at age 49) more like a 30-year-old. My belly feels less bloated. My head feels more clear. I'm not hungry and obsessing on food all the time, then trying to hide it from everyone that I'm sneaking yet another bag of potato chips.

It was so amazing to me. Two friends and I went to a bustling tacqueria in Berkeley where I had really yummy beans and some sauteed veggies with tortillas and then saw another friend's first art gallery show.

It became clear to me that by taking some basic care of myself, I was able to do something nice for this friend by bringing people to appreciate her artwork. As an artist myself, I remember how nervous and vulnerable I felt at an opening - "Will anyone show up? Here are all my guts in the form of my art out here on display and will I be supported?" So I'm pretty sure my friend appreciated that we came to the show.

Good to remember when the (crazy) "internal critics" try to tell me I'm a self-obsessed brat to insist on spending so much time and energy on my way of eating.
"Artists understand that they have the power, through gifts, innovation and love, to create a new story, one that's better than the old one." - Seth Godin
pamplemousse

Re: Holy cow, I actually did something social.

Postby geo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:09 am

Congrats on continueing from the 5-Day! And just think this is only the beginning and your already reaping the benefits. Believe me it will continue to get so much better.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby pamplemousse » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:50 am

Hi Lynn,
I actually just totally forgot to ask about whether they cooked the veggies in oil or not, but as Doug Lisle was saying to us in that lecture on "staying sane", I was aiming for a "Solid B"... that frame of mind really helps me.
:)
Kate
"Artists understand that they have the power, through gifts, innovation and love, to create a new story, one that's better than the old one." - Seth Godin
pamplemousse

Postby Nettie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:21 am

pamplemousse wrote:Here's another little victory I wanted to share! I'm just 7 days out of the 5-day program (so 12 days eating this way) and Friday night, I actually had both energy and inclination to go out with friends after work.

Which I haven't felt like doing for YEARS. I've been depressed, feeling unattractive, anxious and full of self-recrimination for how I was eating. And that all added up to running home after Friday's work and just holing up and trying to distract myself from how I was feeling with TV or online brain-drain activity.

This is actually a very significant signpost along your journey! One of the problems with being a compulsive eater is that we tend to isolate ourselves so we can eat alone. This willingness to get out and socialize means you're on the way to wellness. Congratulations!

Nettie
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Star_McDougaller

Nettie

Postby DangerousKiwi » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:36 pm

That's great! So glad you're feeling better already.
DangerousKiwi

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories