Osteopenia

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Osteopenia

Postby mkh9 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi group,
I have a question. I went to Costco and they had a free bone density screen. I had never had it done and I am 50 so I thought I would try it. It turns out I have Osteopenia and borderline Osteoporosis. I walk every day for an hour, I'm on the Mcdougall diet, and I have no other symptoms except chronic back pain due to an injury (MRI is normal) and Hip Xrays normal, bone scan normal. My blood work is all normal except that I have a high TSH (low thyroid) and high FSH (Probably going into menopause) and I have migraines and migraine variant (which gives me vertigo and auras). I am on several drugs for that which are : Klonopin 1.5 mg (been on it for 20 years), Amitriptyline, Cyproheptadine and birth control (which has estrogen in it). So, two questions can any of these drugs cause bone loss? Doesn't the McDougall diet help with bone loss? So, then is this diet safe? I calculated that my intake of calcium has been about 1000mg daily. So I don't know why I have gotten low in bone density. I am going to also take Topamax starting tonight because of the vertigo from the migraines and I don't want to fall (which I have). Topamax can cause acidosis that leads to several problems one of which can be osteoporosis. But supposedly if you drink enough water a day you can avoid acidosis. Any comments here to help with the osteo and or what I am doing wrong? I did start doing light weights recently too (I have to go up slowly due to the back problem).
thanks,
mkh9
mkh9

Re: Osteopenia

Postby peasouper » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:03 am

Hi Mkh

This post might do better if you posted it in the lounge or health section.

Best wishes Sue
peasouper

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories