Less than 100 days in WOE - Before and Current Picture

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Less than 100 days in WOE - Before and Current Picture

Postby BroccoliForever » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:31 pm

John -- You look great. How are your extended family and friends reacting to your weight loss?
BroccoliForever

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:53 pm

BroccoliForever wrote:John -- You look great. How are your extended family and friends reacting to your weight loss?

My wife is still struggling with my weight loss and thinks I am "full of myself". At times I suspect she wishes I gain my weight back and fail other times she seems very proud of me. She has gotten past the thought of this being a fad diet and really for the most part is very supportive. I am "full of myself" at times.

My step-kids have not said a thing. Which is odd, I am guessing they feel the tension from their mother.

My mother, who does not know I was type 2 diabetic, has not seen me since August. In our conversations she has indicated that I was not that overweight in the past. I think she thinks of this as a fad. I need to double check, but I do not think she has acknowledge any of my pictures on Facebook.

The rest of my family are very supportive and like the changes. Some have even asked for information. I also have a cousin that is trying Medifast and one that works for Weight Watchers. I am hoping they try this WOE one day.

Most of my friends have responded great about the weight loss. My best friend seems to think that this is some how like Atkins and that it is not long term. The more I talk to him about this WOE the less he retains. He thinks my current weight is good and that the BMI numbers are wrong. He has type 2 diabetes and has other health issues. His compliments are usually tainted with some sort of comment after. "You are doing great, but don't you think you are losing too much", type of stuff. I think he also thought this was going to be some sort of fad diet. His comparisons to his time on Atkins is driving me crazy.

My co-workers have responded great also. Most are overweight, but unwilling to make any changes, but they do see me "shrinking away".

The more people say how great I look, the more I think how bad I must have looked. I do not want to ever go back. I want to get lean and be fit. I look at the star McDougallers and they give me lots of inspiration.

(what a long answer)

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby BroccoliForever » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:44 pm

My bet is that your wife is extremely proud of you, and indeed in awe of all you have accomplished. She's probably facing her own inner doubts about her worthiness as you transform yourself.
BroccoliForever

Postby EvanG » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:06 am

John,

That's quite a huge transformation. I'm sure that everybody in you personal life is impressed. All of the reactions that you mentioned ring true with my experiences too.

You put a bmi of 24 down as your goal. When you go from 28 down to 24, you are saying through your actions that 28 is not good enough for you. That's what other people are hearing a bit. That is probably especially hard for spouses to deal with if they are at a higher bmi.

Cheers and good luck with the rest of your transformation.
-----
Started in June 2012 at 39
Lost 25 lbs. Feel great.
EvanG

Postby veggylvr » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:26 am

Amazing, John! You look great!
veggylvr

Postby jaredramos » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:32 pm

That's a lot of weight to loose in a few months, nice going!
may good health find you

jaredramos

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Congratulations, you look much healthier. For some reason the images would never load until today so I finally get to see them. Great transformation.
Caroveggie

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks. I feel much healthier.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Previous

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories