MS succes story

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

MS succes story

Postby Joyce » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:02 am

Hi everybody!

I started a journal but wanted to share it in this topic too.
I'm from Holland so if my english isn't always clear you know why!

I've been diagnosed with MS 10 years ago, 4 weeks after i married my dear husband.
I started medication right away. I used Avonex for 2 years and after a really bad summer in which i suffered a lot from the hot weather, i switched to Copaxone. I used that for 8 years.
But......... since i was doing pretty well for those 8 years, i asked my neurologist if i could quit the medication.
I had a new MRI and that didn't show any new lesions in the past 10 years so he agreed i could quit my meds and see how it holds.

June 29th was the first med free day! How great is that!
June 4th i started the Swank diet because i know i have to do something to keep healthy.
At the end of June i switched to the Jelinek diet. A few weeks later i noticed the numbness in my fingers was almost gone. That have been there for 10 years!
This week i switched to the McDougall diet. I made those steps so it wouldn't be to difficult to go vegan at once.
And after 5 days the numbness is gone! Can you believe it?

I also had blurry vision once every few weeks. Since the beginning of the Swank diet, i didn't experience this anymore.

I really feel this is the best treatment for MS and i know i'll stick to it. I haven't cheated once since i started.
Joyce

Re: MS succes story

Postby jamietwo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:55 am

Good for you! Congratulations! :D

P.S. Your English is very good!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby nicoles » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:22 am

Amazing Joyce! So happy for you. And your English is excellent!
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby lmggallagher » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:37 pm

Joyce -

How wonderful for you and so glad you have joined us!

Thank you for sharing your fabulous news!!!

Best wishes - Michelle

lmggallagher

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:36 pm

I love this! I'm reading through Moonwatcher's journal...have you seen it yet?

http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic ... 21&t=31193

she is telling about her healing over the years, and it is very encouraging to me, even though I don't have MS. Your story, and hers, make me want to tell people with other illnesses about this way of eating. I want to ssee my friends who are so sick, come out of their illnesses and live healthy and energetic...

like you!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Atheria » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:00 pm

Wonderful news! As much as I enjoy the weight loss success stories, the stories of people who cure severe health issues via diet is awesome. I am happy for your success with dealing with MS.

Peace,
Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby Vegankit » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Joyce, reading your story warmed my heart - you are an inspiration.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby lvixie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:37 pm

Wonderful, Joyce! Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful news!

I have MS too and started the McDougall diet a month after I was diagnosed 4.5 years ago. I was on Rebif for three months shortly after diagnosis, but I felt horrible on it, so I quit, with my neuro's okay. "It's poison," he acknowledged.

No relapses since then, and I don't have trouble with sensory issues such as numbness. But I do have overall muscle pain that has not improved.

Is your family supportive of your choices?
lvixie

Postby Joyce » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:25 am

Sorry for my late reaction!
I stopped the diet 4 weeks ago because i suffered major hair loss and i wasn't getting my periods.
Everyone around me blamed the diet so i stopped and i added dairy, fish and chicken to my vegan diet.
To be sure i went to my GP and he took a blood test. I received the results last monday. My thyroid is working too fast and that's causing these problems!
My vitamine levels were great!
In the last days the numbness in my fingers came back....
So i think it's proven for me now! I'm going back to the plant based diet and stick with it.
My family is very supportive! My husband, parents, sister and friends always support me.
My husbands family isn't that supportive but that doesn't bother me.
Joyce

Postby Ruff » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:42 pm

How wonderful to have confirmation that this diet is working for you....but not so wonderful to have the numbness back again. I hope it clears as quickly this time as it did last time.

Society is always so quick to blame the diet when our diet is in anyway different and things go wrong. But if we are eating SAD then it can't possibly be the diet.....
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby Joyce » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:00 am

I'm really back on track with the McD WOE.
I'm feeling great!
The numbness has gone again, my skin looks super, everything is just great :-D
I saw my neurologist for the last time because he's retiring this month.
He doesn't believe diet works but he's also amazed about my condition without medication.
He consulted my new neuro and they decided they want me to have another MRI (i had the last one in june right after i started the diet)
So i guess the are kind of curious to see what's going on...
I'm having the MRI 31st of january and will get the results 7th of february from my new neuro.
I will let you know!

My GP is supporting me however. We agreed to have blood tests every 6 months to see how my vitamine levels are.
My family is kind of worried about that so it's fine with me to have it tested.
I stopped all the supplements exept for 1 multi vitamine that also contains B12.
Joyce

Postby lmggallagher » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:43 pm

Joyce: Fantastic that the numbness is gone again. And we are very curious to hear about the results in February!!!!!

lmggallagher

Postby goldilocks » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Joyce, that is so wonderful that this diet is so successful for you! I'm so happy for you and inspired by your story. I look forward to hearing the results of your blood work coming up.

Are you taking medication for your thyroid condition, or has that resolved on its own? I had autoimmune thyroid disease, and going gluten-free allowed my body to heal from that. It's been about 8 years now and it has never come back, and the last time I tested, I didn't have any antibodies either.

Best of luck!
goldilocks

Postby GregKirkpatrick » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi Joyce,

thanks for posting! Any update with the MRI?

I was diagnosed 3 years ago with Multiple Sclerosis. My neuro put me on Rebif. I had 2 steroid treatments. Last February 2012 I quit rebif, and started improving my nutrition and exercise. I noticed an increase in energy almost immediately, and my brain fogginess cleared.

It's been a process for me. I've lost 60 pounds in three years. I'm now able to workout six days a week, but I'm still working to get my legs and mobility back.

I just started March 2013 going 100% on the McDougall plan.

Greg
Let me know if i can help with your fitness http://www.beachbodycoach.com/GKIRKPATRICK

Doing "Insanity" with my walker. The important thing is to get moving!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ9qH3Y8vEI
GregKirkpatrick

Postby ninamercedes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:02 pm

Joyce,
I am so happy for you and your results with a plant based diet. I feel better to when I don't eat animal products, corn and wheat. I have RA and the pain improves as long as I stay on the straight and narrow.
I will be looking forward to your progress.
Every medication has a side effect.
ninamercedes

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories