Periodontal Disease Success

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Periodontal Disease Success

Postby geo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:42 am

This problem I never expected to get better. I've been going to my current dentist for 5+ years to get my teeth and gums worked on every 4 months. I've always had tooth and gum disease as an adult so its a long term issue that I expected to last a lifetime and I suspect so did my dentist.

I started McDougalling about 5 1/2 months ago. 4 months ago when I went to the Dentist she mentioned that my teeth and gums were looking better and that I must be brushing and flossing better these days. I didn't tell her that I haven't done anything different dental hygiene-wise, but I had been McDougalling for about 1.5 months at that point and had lost about 20 lbs. (which wasn't really noticeable then).

So I walk into my dentist yesterday for my normal dental work and quietly sit in the waiting room. She comes out into the room looks around and calls out my name and looks around again. There's only 3 of us in the room, me, my wife and daughter. Finally I stand up and walk over to her and needless to say she was shocked and didn't recognize me. She probably spent the next 15 mins telling me how different I looked and commenting on how much weight I've lost. I told her 77 lbs so far and she couldn't believe the change in me, she even noted it in my dental records. She was telling me all about the bariatric patients she has that never seem to lose any weight and look so horrible after their surgeries. I told her all it takes is eating real food and a little exercise. She told me I must have amazing will power, I told her nope, its just good food and exercise :D

So we went through my usual dental exam process and cleaning and this time instead of hearing the usual...make sure you brush and floss after every meal, yada yada... She told me, quite excitedly, that my teeth and gums were in excellent shape, no problems at all! Even after the extensive cleaning and flossing she just did she was amazed that there were no bleeding gums and no sign of periodontal disease. She told me everything looked great and there was no reason to see her again for at least 6 months! She said I've made amazing progress and that she rarely sees anyone that can improve their dental hygiene to completely get rid of the disease. Normally she has to have them come in even more often over time despite her best efforts. So needless to say she was as happy as I am :nod: Of course I didn't tell her it wasn't my brushing and flossing habits that made any difference, those were already as good as it was going to get...it was all about this woe. Thats the only change that I've made in the past 5 1/2 months!

5 years of every 4 months dental work did nothing but keep the periodontal disease at check.

5 1/2 months of McDougalling cured it :nod:

And no I don't believe it was the food itself that made the difference, it was the gain in health from eating the McDougall way that allowed my body to easily fix the long standing issues.

So Thank You Dr McDougall, even the most unexpected things just get better and better on your program!

In about 2.5 weeks I'll be taking my next bloodwork and I look forward to some more amazing improvements then :-D

Feel free to visit my journal...
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Re: Periodontal Disease Success

Postby Lesliec1 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:58 am

So glad you shared. Wow, impressive and inspiring! I had no idea dental issues would be affected (but then why not?)
Lesliec1

Postby Sistina » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Wow! I'm happy for you....hope to follow suit!
Sistina

Postby DangerousKiwi » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:35 pm

That's awesome! And very interesting. It's amazing how many new reasons you find every day to eat this way.
DangerousKiwi

Postby Riva » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:48 pm

That's wonderful and it makes sense...inflammation way down. I would encourage you to tell your dentist.
Riva
Never Ever Give Up
Riva

Postby Starchyme » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:37 am

What a great testimony to McDougalling. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby veggie lover » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:36 pm

That is fantastic! Congratulations on your progress!
veggie lover

Postby DH666 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:50 am

That's fantastic! Congratulations!
The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. Mahatma Gandhi
DH666

Postby VegMommy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:26 pm

Thank you for posting this, geo.

When I started following Dr. McDougall's dietary advice, I was worried about my dental health. This puts my mind at ease.
VegMommy

Postby goldilocks » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:15 pm

How cool! What a wonderful and unexpected benefit. Congrats and keep up the great work!
goldilocks

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories