Incredible progress in 6 wks towards reversing heart disease

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Incredible progress in 6 wks towards reversing heart dis

Postby tangoviv » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:48 pm

Nettie: I just read your story at star Mc Dougallers and saw your pictures and you brought tears to my eyes,,,I am 43 and have a 2 year old son and I feel like I am never going to make it to stay healthy to see him growing but after I read your post and cried for a long time trying to blow out some of the guilt I feel for letting things get this way I now know that there is a way and THIS is the way and I know that I will be there for him
Thanks you are very inspiring

Viviana
10/05/12 current weight: 299
10/12/12 -3 current weight: 296 total lost: 3
10/19/12 -4 current weight: 293 total lost: 6
10/26/12 -5 current weight: 288 total lost: 11
11/02/12 -3 current weight: 285 total lost: 14
tangoviv

Postby Nettie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:28 pm

tangoviv wrote:Nettie: I just read your story at star Mc Dougallers and saw your pictures and you brought tears to my eyes,,,I am 43 and have a 2 year old son and I feel like I am never going to make it to stay healthy to see him growing but after I read your post and cried for a long time trying to blow out some of the guilt I feel for letting things get this way I now know that there is a way and THIS is the way and I know that I will be there for him
Thanks you are very inspiring

Viviana

Aww, sweetie, thanks for the compliment! Guilt is useful, I believe, but only if it galvanizes you into making some changes.

Resolve today that you will go whole-hog, all-in committed to this way of eating, and never look back. You have so much to live for. And just think: you'll be saving your 2-year-old's life, too, if you raise him to make healthy food choices.

There are so many good books out there that deal with the psychology of overeating: Geneen Roth's Women, Food and God, and Taming the Feast Beast by Jack Trimpey. Both of them were helpful to me.

But I would suggest that you don't worry about why you eat what you eat, why you've done this in the past, and on and on. Just resolve to be different now and keep making progress. The old way no longer works for you. Take responsibility and move forward. Don't allow yourself to think about what was - you're looking to become a new person, no matter what it takes - no matter what the cost, and no matter what others say. You know the truth now.

You have to be 100% compliant to start building good habits. Don't allow the old habits to sneak in. Processed, sweet, or fatty foods are literally poison, and you have to get rid of them.

Eating healthy is transformative in so many ways: success breeds success, and you're going to be building on your little successes along the way. As you get healthy, your mind will literally change regarding the attractiveness of certain foods. Know that fat-sugar-salt are addictive, and you have to get them completely out of your life if you're going to have any peace.

So go ahead and have a good cry. I've cried a river of tears myself for most of my life over my eating and eating and eating. But you know the way out of this rabbit hole now, and it is the McDougall Program.

You deserve joy, and, believe me, if you're faithful to McDougall, you'll soon know what it feels like to be finally free forever.

Hang in there. Keep us updated on your progress - which, I am sure, will be considerable from now on.

Nettie
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Star_McDougaller

Nettie

Postby Marco's mum » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:25 am

Hi Nettie, thank you for your kindness. I will make treasure of your suggestions and I will stay 100% on the program whenever possible. Do you think that if, due to my work as I explained before - I will "fall off the wagon" for two or three meals a month this will destroy the good work done before? It's not that I want to cheat, believe me. My health is at risk and I will do all that is in my power to reverse the problem I have. It is that I know the restaurants where we go for dinner and I know the people who come with us...... Otherwise I will have to refuse these occasions, perhaps putting my job at risk..... Also here in Europe things are difficult right now.
Coming back to the ingredients and to the example I made yesterday about the soy milk, does soy contain fat on its own ? Do vegetables in general contain fat ? The ingredients on the bottle are only : water and soy flour. In the contents, I find fat 2,5% (a part saturated, a part non saturated). Does this come from soy itself ? I ask because the majority of products show fat in their content, however no oil is to be found in the ingredients...... Sorry to bother you but I want to learn. And can you give me some advice with regards to roasting potatoes, onion, garlic ? How can you "start" the dish without putting oil into the pan? Thank you for the support you will give me. I will surely stay in contact. R.
Marco's mum

Yes, soy contains fat .Most fruit & veg don't.

Postby veggiecat » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:02 am

Where are you in Europe? Do they have low-fat soymilk,or almond milk? What are those restaurant meals usually like? Will anyone really notice if you don't eat all of it? Best of luck to you with this program!
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

Postby Nettie » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:41 am

Marco's mum wrote:... Do you think that if, due to my work as I explained before - I will "fall off the wagon" for two or three meals a month this will destroy the good work done before? It's not that I want to cheat, believe me. My health is at risk and I will do all that is in my power to reverse the problem I have.

In my opinion, you will not undo all the good you do with the other 82 meals in a month. You can limit the distance you fall "off the wagon" by making careful choices at the restaurant. It isn't necessary to go with full cheesy/oily meals; instead you can order vegetables and rice or potatoes. Be wise, plan ahead, and minimize the damage. Avoid all dairy like the plague.

Marco's mum wrote:...Coming back to the ingredients and to the example I made yesterday about the soy milk, does soy contain fat on its own ? Do vegetables in general contain fat ?

Yes, soy contains some fat, as do even vegetables. (I think even oatmeal is about 8-10% fat.) Eliminate vegetable oils. Don't purchase anything with oil listed as an ingredient.

Marco's mum wrote:...And can you give me some advice with regards to roasting potatoes, onion, garlic ? How can you "start" the dish without putting oil into the pan? Thank you for the support you will give me. I will surely stay in contact. R.

Gee, I think I would just spray the veggies with water or broth, sprinkle herbs and spices, and just bake them in a non-stick pan. Other people might be more knowledgeable that I am about that. Check out the Recipes Forum. I usually make one-pot soup/stew dishes containing beans and vegetables for my main meals

Read the posts in this forum so you can learn more. Stay strong.

Nettie
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Star_McDougaller

Nettie

Postby Karen58 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:30 am

You can saute onions and garlic in water/vegetable broth or even a fruit juice, depending on what you are making. The same is true for any vegetable, really. When you say roast a potato or vegetable you mean in the oven right? If so, just put them on a non-stick surface like parchment paper or a silpat and put this in the oven. If you want to added dried spices, toss the potatoes in a bit of water/vegetable broth and then toss with the spices. The water will help the spices stick.
Karen58

Postby Marco's mum » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks to all who gave me some advice. First week on this journey, doing quite well. I already notice some (positive) changes, as having more breath when walking, no chest pain at all since I started. Not even a sign..... Very happy and will keep you updated.
Nettie, I read your success story and I can only congratulate. You are a real example for all of us. How is it possible that we suffer so much sometimes....
R.
Marco's mum

Postby Marco's mum » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:25 pm

Hello everybody there! Very stressful day today at work, with one of those lunches which I told you about. I tried to stay on my path, obviously not being able to avoid oil and meat 100%. However, I did my best. Afterwards, with a task that shuld have been accomplished after the visit and could not be because of missing signatures, etc. I felt really under stress and felt some discomfort in my stomach and in my chest. Not very bad, honestly, but something that I did not feel since I started this program. Not able to tell if my body has already switched to the new way of eating and was telling me that it did not enjoy today's lunch or if it was the stress that caused some signs of angina. However, a couple of months ago it would have been much worse, therefore I can still be happy. Coming home I have then made a long walk with my dog, not feeling any pain or fatigue. Just wanted to tell you that I feel to be on the right path with Dr. Mc. Dougall and with you all sharing this journey.
Have a good day. R.
Marco's mum

Previous

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories